S3 Uprated Coilpacks

ben_harmer32

Reaction score
Does anyone make uprated coilpacks for the S3 (1999)?

Remember upgrading on my skyline and it made a huge difference.

There is an 'upgraded' one apparently, silly expensive and largely pointless...

There was also a huge thing about TFSI coilpacks too which is mostly rubbish too...

There is a TFSI coilpack thread in the FAQs

I have been running TFSI coils for a little while they made no difference to anything other than making my pocket lighter... even running the 1mm gaps did nothing measurable on the dyno...

TFSI coils look good if you use the expensive alloy adaptors (or just as good with the the OE plastic ones) but they work no better than a new set of 20v ones IMO...

I've not yet managed to blow the spark out with 2bar and a GT3071 and TFSI coil packs still fail like 20v ones so the choice is purely cosmetic...

<tuffty/>

Okada is the brand from what I have found out and are like £100 or more each... vs 30 quid each for OE

<tuffty/>

I'd second what tuffty has said about TFSI coil pack, when I spoke with Badger5 he told me much the same so no point going to extra cost when unproven.

Tuffty do you know if the TFSI coil pack lasts longer? I've read this somewhere recently...

I'd second what tuffty has said about TFSI coil pack, when I spoke with Badger5 he told me much the same so no point going to extra cost when unproven.

Tuffty do you know if the TFSI coil pack lasts longer? I've read this somewhere recently...

Not sure that any of them are any better than each other tbh mate... I am using 07K 905 715 F

<tuffty/>

Cheers guys.

So is it worth getting replacement standard ones and colder grade plugs instead?

Car has been mapper and has exhaust, filter etc..

How do I know if I have OE ones?

Should mention at this point that you have an APY engine code so these will be bolt down coils... they will have the 4 ring logo and hitachi (beru on the latest revision) embossed on them..

Bolt down OE packs are generally regarded as being more reliable than push down types... but like anything they do degrade over time and you will always benefit from new replacements... however pattern part coils are generally rubbish...

TFSI coils (push down) can be made to fit APY cam covers using either the pricey alloy adaptors or the amazingly cheap OE adaptors...

<tuffty/>

TFSI coils are cheaper by about £40 a set.....so if you need replacements its makes sense plus if you have a BAM engine car you don't have to run adapters it just makes it look more pleasant.

don't audi do a new coil pack ? as it re call part ?
or is that just replace old with new ?

TFSI coils are cheaper by about £40 a set.....so if you need replacements its makes sense plus if you have a BAM engine car you don't have to run adapters it just makes it look more pleasant.

So they're straight swap? Didn't know that...

So they're straight swap? Didn't know that...

Sorta... TFSI coils stick out further

IMG_4408.jpg

IMG_4410.jpg

http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/a3-s3-forum-8l-chassis/142034-2-0-tfsi-coil-packs-1-8t.html

<tuffty/>

I read that thread. Oem plus is what I'm aiming for in general. No point going to extra cost when there's so much else to spend on.

I know the general consensus is to avoid aftermarket coil packs, but I purchased 4 brand new BERU branded packs from GSF about 20 months ago (circa £80 for the set with a discount code, normal price £100ish for four) and they haven't missed a beat.

They do some cheaper ones too, as well as OEM ones that are more pricey than from TPS etc, but it was late on a Saturday and nowhere else was open etc.

I believe BERU make coil packs for VAG now anyway.