S3 upper stress bar on to an A3?

Drill

Reaction score
Website
www.audi-sport.net
OK Guys, I'm thinking of putting an S3 upper stress bar onto my A3 TQ. Thing is, I'm not sure if it's a simple DIY job where all I have to do is "Drill" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif a couple of holes and bolt it in place, or if there are other things involved. IIRC JPR did this to his A3, but has anyone else done or thought about this? I'm dropping an S3 suspension under my car in the next couple of weeks, and was hoping to do the stress bar at around the same time.

Thx,

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

You've got it, strut brace fitting ( to any car ) is pretty straightforwards, just make sure the holes go in the right place /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Crap that was fast /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif I usually have to PM folks to get a reply /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Anyway, yeah, that's what I had thought, just wasn't sure. I've noticed the small indentations around the tops of the towers, and figured that's where any holes'd have to go. Any idea whether I should go from the bottom up, or vice versa when drilling? And other than taking the wheel off, I should be able to keep the strut on while doing this, right?

Thx for the help /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

Ten minute job.

I'm my case:

1 - Put the brace in the right position
2 - Mark up the holes
3 - Drill the holes
4 - Tap a thread into them
5 - Paint/seal a small area around each hole made
6 - Now fit the brace with bolts and secure with lock nuts from underneath

Job done!

I don't recall removing any wheels or anything ... just be careful when drilling the holes that you keep the drill square and in the vertical position.

Good luck.

Where do you live? I can give you hand one weekend if you want?

[ QUOTE ]
NeuSkoolA3 said:
Where do you live? I can give you hand one weekend if you want?

[/ QUOTE ]
Actually ... no ... you live in Germany.

Sorry, I should have read your profile before asking that!

Silly me!

[ QUOTE ]
Actually ... no ... you live in Germany.

[/ QUOTE ]

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Yup, that's me /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

Thanks for the help, as soon as I can get to the dealers I'll be putting one on order then. How much of an improvement did it make? Was it very noticeable?

Thx,

btw, for anyone else thinking about it, the part number I'm ordering is: 8L9-805-629-A

[ QUOTE ]
Drill said:

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Yup, that's me /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

Thanks for the help, as soon as I can get to the dealers I'll be putting one on order then. How much of an improvement did it make? Was it very noticeable?

Thx,

btw, for anyone else thinking about it, the part number I'm ordering is: 8L9-805-629-A

[/ QUOTE ]

Ah ha I found the part on Etka, wouldn't be very easy to find without the part number.

Let us know what difference it makes...and how the fitting goes. I take it this brace is standard on the S3 then?

Drill, you in the forces? Where abouts are you in Germany?

Gambba, you found the part no! You did better than me, I looked on ETKA but could not find. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

AL

What's up Dude /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Yeah, the part's std on the S3, that's why I was confident it'd go on my A3. As for fitting though, Mori posted this over at TSN:

[ QUOTE ]
While putting on a the bar you should actually have the car lifted off the ground so the suspension is not carrying any weight on it. This is what I've heard on another forum. Reason being, and I'm guessing a little here, is that the body will be in its proper shape because the McPherson's aren't being pressured (hence, perhaps a little out of their proper place, be it 1mm or less). The stress bar would be actually keep the car "together" in the proper position then.

Furthermore I've read that it might not fit if the car isn't new (the S3 doesn't have the knob thing to adjust it) because the car can change body-alignment over the years.

[/ QUOTE ] So I'm gonna wait to see if anyone can confirm or deny it.

Also, I'm in Bad Kreuznach, Germany, it's about an hour WNW of Frankfurt, and I work in Hanau, just outside of Frankfurt. I WAS in the Army, stationed over here, but I'm out now, but still working for the DoD, had to do SOMETHING so I could keep my car /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

It sounds like a valid reason to do it jacked up, and it makes perfect mechanical sense to do it like that IMO.

Maybe we should be thinking of a meet soon? Myself and Funky Junky are in Holland, I think he goes back to the UK at the end of March though.......so a meet in Germany would be grand, especially if we can get a few more together.

That WOULD be kinda cool /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/groovy.gif
Esp. with access to the Autobahn's /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Good God I LOVE the no limit stretches /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/froggie_red.gif

I would also be interested in a meet in Germany if TDI's are allowed! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/angel.gif

[ QUOTE ]
AL B said:
Gambba, you found the part no! You did better than me, I looked on ETKA but could not find. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

AL

[/ QUOTE ]

Credit where Credits due.........yes i did, sorry nothing for you Drill!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_roll.gif

Al, enter the number as 8L9805629, no letter afterwards (even though you'd need it for ordering the part), no spaces and no dashes, or once you found it use a word search and put 'helper'.

Unfortunately on ETKA it doesn't show the position of the brace, and without a part number or description I not sure how you would locate it.

[ QUOTE ]
worfke said:
I would also be interested in a meet in Germany if TDI's are allowed! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/angel.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok I'm going to post something in the meet forum, to see how many people we can get, and then we can decide on a date .......end of March? before Funky junky goes back to the UK for good.

[ QUOTE ]
Drill said:
Huh? I put the part number in my post. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Not THAT desperate for credit, but a bit confused /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/angel.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I only found the part number you gave, on the Etka parts CD which is what AL refers to me finding it, and without you we'd of known nothing about it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/fuck_you.gif

only just spotted this thanks to Drill /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif
Yeah it's just a case of offering it up, Marking it and drilling some holes!
make sure you paint your holes with some anti corrosion paint after though /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Well, I just ordered it on the phone (Having the part number ROCKS!!) So I'll be picking her up on Saturday morning at the latest /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/groovy.gif It's all just a matter of time now /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

What colour is the 'helper Reinforcement'(As quoted in Etka)/stress bar/sway bar/strut brace? Black?

If you don't want to buy a tap and die set, there is a cost effective solution; Buy a tap of the correct size, find a nut that is close but smaller in size to the end which goes in the handle, place nut over end of tap and put both in a vice, then wind jaws of vice until nut is nicely pressed on to tap.

With this done you can now use a socket and ratchet/T bar to tap the hole, but you need to make sure you have a socket which fits tightly to the nut, to ensure you get the tap running straight.

A couple of other things for this, don't use a hardened nut i.e. heat treated, try to use a nut with the biggest depth possible (So that it retains square-ness in the socket and don't worry about the tap snapping in the vice....it won't happen. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile_smoking.gif

If you use a T-Bar, deep nut and tight fitting six point socket you'll end up with the perfect replacement to a proper handle.

Thanks for the tip on the tools, but to be honest I try not to take short-cuts on those, safer that way /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif I figure I can get a set fairly cheap if I look around.
And yeah, the std S3 strut brace is black.

btw, just made an appointment, my S3 suspension gets installed on the 14th /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif The strut brace should be on by then /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif So by the 15th, the Quattro should be handling MUCH better /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/groovy.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Drill said:
Thanks for the tip on the tools, but to be honest I try not to take short-cuts on those, safer that way.

btw, just made an appointment, my S3 suspension gets installed on the 14th /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

You can pick up tap and die sets extremely cheaply if you look around.

How much should the drop be with the S3 over the TQ/T sport? and how much firmer? any ideas? Is it just springs or complete shocks and springs? if complete assemblies why didn't you just go for springs?

A lot of questions I know, but it's lunchtime! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

Well, I got the whole suspension (shocks & struts) used with a couple k kms on them, off ebay for 65 Euros /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif
And it should be about a 20mm drop from std. As for firmness, I'm not sure, but I'm pretty sure the S3's a bit better than my A3 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Drill said:
Well, I got the whole suspension (shocks & struts) used with a couple k kms on them, off ebay for 65 Euros /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif
And it should be about a 20mm drop from std. As for firmness, I'm not sure, but I'm pretty sure the S3's a bit better than my A3 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

65 Euros!!! blow my socks off and sh#g me sideways ......what a fantastic deal, can see why you did that then /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile_smoking.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile_smoking.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/idea.gifI'm off to e-bay now.....

Hell yeah /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif Truth be told, I didn't expect to win the bid. I saw it shortly after it opened, price was 13 Euro something, so I bid 55, and forgot about it, until I got the e-mail saying I had won /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif So it was 55 for the suspension, and 10 shipping /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/groovy.gif Got it Friday, and everything looks OK, although I'm not POSITVE what to look for. But I've cleaned it up and things don't appear to be broken. As a matter of fact, the installation and alignment are gonna coast me almost 4X the price of the parts /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif Gonna run me about 220 Euros for installation and alignment. Oh well, /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/groovy.gif

How much does the part cost in Holland as my gf is going there in 2 weeks /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dancing.gif (she works for KLM Airlines) may get her to lug it down here if its cheap

Christ, my heads gonna explode in a minute /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif I'm viewing both TSN and here, looking for Lisa Rogers pics, reading up on the TT linkage stuff, and writing an e-mail to my buddy out in the desert! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked2.gif

[ QUOTE ]
XXX 1.8T said:
How much does the part cost in Holland as my gf is going there in 2 weeks /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dancing.gif (she works for KLM Airlines) may get her to lug it down here if its cheap

[/ QUOTE ]

Well give her my number 0600 SEX GOD and get her to give me a call /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_roll.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_roll.gif, or just tell her to look for the only guy under 6 foot in Holland!!

Will check out the price at my dealer.......now.

And the result is 64 euros....very cheap!
Used to be part No. 8L9 805 629 but is now 8L9 805 629 A (As Drill first said, so now includes the 'A' on the end), so that's why Etka wouldn't except the A....it's too old!

Costa, is that the Audi sport bumper/body kit on yours?

[ QUOTE ]
Drill said:
[ QUOTE ]
(As Drill first said, so now includes the 'A' on the end)

[/ QUOTE ]

That's alright, I'm adult enough not to say I told you so /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/angel.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh grow up!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif At your age you should know better than to rub it in.........and I've got feelings you know! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/1luvu.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/burningmad.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/groovy.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Drill said:
Hey John, did you tap threads into the holes you drilled? I don't have a tap and die set, so is it necessary? Also, did you have any problems aligning the lil' *******?

Thx /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
The OMP brace came with self tapping 10mm headed M6 bolts, never taken the S3 one off so I'm not sure how it's fitted, anyone wanna quickly open their bonnet and have a look? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

[ QUOTE ]
self tapping 10mm headed M6 bolts

[/ QUOTE ]

That right there should be enough John, thx /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

And Gambba,
I said I WASN'T gonna say "I told you so" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Hehe, I pick up my Stress bar this afternoon /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/groovy.gif

Should be installing it this Saturday /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif