S3 Tyres...

By the tread design and most of all the side wall design,the best looking tyres l ever had where Vredestein ultrac sessantaView attachment 60284 Ye did ask....lol

Ran those very tyres on a Mazda 6MPS and a Saab 9-3 Aero. Very nice, but on both cars they wore in a manner that meant they got very noisy as time passed.

I've always liked Continentals - had them for years on my MG ZT without any problems. They grip well, especially in the wet, and wear well too. Tyre noise is about average for low profiles on wide rims with hard suspension setting.

Out for a drive with my wife the other day (she's still familiarising herself with the car, just in case ...) and, in spite of my one single caution before we left home to take a wide berth round all kerbs, she managed to kerb it! Unfortunately, although the rim was slightly scraped, there must have been something in the gap between the kerb stones, because the side wall suffered a bad cut.

Tomorrow I'm having another identical tyre fitted (I do hate replacing just one tyre at a time, but I've only done 5,000 miles from new, so there's no choice really, especially as the Diamond Cut Wheel and Tyre Protection insurance will be paying for it). I'll be having the rim polished separately in a couple of weeks' time, covered by the same policy.

For the record, my S3 saloon came supplied with Contisport Contact 235/35 R19 91Y Extra Load, which I assume is the standard fitment for that model.

My saloon came standard with Pirelli P Zero so you might be able to ask them to swop if they came with Conti

Can honestly say in 30+ years of driving I've never had so much as a slow puncture!

.......now if only I could remember the makes of some of my previous tyres ;)

At my age I find difficulty remembering the makes of some of my previous cars let alone tyres!

Reactions: pburv, Rob2k68 and Simon L
Maybe I've led a sheltered life mate but I can't say I spend a huge amount of time admiring my tyres ;)

Really? Then you must be tyred of life. (to misquote Samuel Johnson).

Really? Then you must be tyred of life. (to misquote Samuel Johnson).

Back to back showstoppers your gonna have to call it a night Pete before you burn yer tyres out........

Reactions: pburv, Jassyo06, Rob2k68 and 1 other person
Night night .......

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: Rob2k68 and Simon L
My 64 plate came with conti's - now got 4x p zeros - no where near as good

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Reactions: pburv and Simon L
My 64 plate came with conti's - now got 4x p zeros - no where near as good

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Conti's for the win all day long.........:whistle2:

Reactions: pburv and WarwickL
ContiSport 5's on the S3 are utter tripe for me. Definitely not suited to hard driving.

A set has lasted me 12,000 miles. Poor grip, both wet and dry. Noisy.

AO compound also goes harder quicker that GY or M, even with plenty of depth left on them.

More Conti tripe experiences:

http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/s3-continentals.210363/
http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/tyres.216222/
http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/s3-understeering-in-wet.223943/
http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/s3-sb-undertyred-motor-mag-review.231092/

All a matter of opinion I suppose but my choice would be the Conti's, have run them on most of my cars when I had the choice. Also run them on my Landrover. Impeccable is what I say! One other tyre I like is the Dunlop Ultra Grip. More a Cold weather tyre but here in Scotty Land there is no problem with overheating.

Reactions: pburv and WarwickL
As a side note, Conti CS5's regularly come out near the top of tyre tests.

2 points on the tests.....

1. They are done with the standard CS5's, not the CS5 AO that come with our cars

2. They are not done on tyres that have done some mileage. ie: Repeat the test with tyres that have done 5000 miles. The difference in degradation is stark from new (especially compared with other tyres that have done the same mileage.)

My Contis 5s are looking a bit worn and I was thinking of replacing the fronts, but they were reported as ok on the recent service.

So i checked with a tread depth gauge and fronts are on about 3.5mm

But I have read that they only come with 6.8mm new! I thought most tyres were 8mm?

This means they aren't even half worn yet, but look close to needing replacement.

I am generally happy with them though, so will probably replace like for like.

Got Conti 5 on the new S3 saloon, very noisey, haven't tried it much in the wet - yet- but I expect it to be abysmal.
I will ALWAYS goy for wet grip, don't care if they wear out in 10k ( but I rarely do more than 5k a year in a car - there are two others to use !! )

I previously have used Goodyear Asymetric 2 ( 3 is now out and has even shorter wet braking) but these were on B5 QTS ( recently sold) and B6 1.8Tq S Line ( stll have). I've found them to grip well and be very quiet. I shall have them on S3 in due couse.
Daughter has 8P Sportback TDi and that was on Continental. I suggested when the time came she should tre the Goosyears and she commented how 'secure' they felt and how much quieter, especially on the motorway.
However she does love the Conti winter tyres she uses Oct/Nov to early April ( North Wales - you definitely need them there !)

The price difference between tyres for the S3's standard 18" wheels and the optional 19" wheels is quite an eye opener;

18"

19"

GSB, you raised a point that I have meant to ask for some time. That is, does any Quattro driver change tyres for winter and, if so, what tyres do they use for slippery conditions?

The price difference between tyres for the S3's standard 18" wheels and the optional 19" wheels is quite an eye opener;

18"
View attachment 89242

19"
View attachment 89243

I can get 2 new conti's fitted for £182,l have only done 12800 miles of very soft driving and the contis look tired,they're god Damn ugly tyre's when new never mind when they 13k miles on them

Reactions: pburv and Rob2k68
GSB, you raised a point that I have meant to ask for some time. That is, does any Quattro driver change tyres for winter and, if so, what tyres do they use for slippery conditions?
Probably more dependant on where you live and likelihood of winter weather. I change mine every winter as a quattro is no different to a normal car on ice. I find they make a big difference in cold, wet conditions too. Once you have the extra set of tyres/wheels, it is no more expensive to run winters and may even be cheaper if you run a smaller wheel size. I use Dunlop 5d but had Vredestreins last time.
The Michelin Cross Climates look very interesting for all year use though.

I can get 2 new conti's fitted for £182,l have only done 12800 miles of very soft driving and the contis look tired,they're god Damn ugly tyre's when new never mind when they 13k miles on them

Tyres are ugly ?

WTF.

The black round things ?

I need to look more closely next time.

:)

Reactions: Daveotto, pburv, Rob2k68 and 3 others
Tyres are ugly ?

WTF.

The black round things ?

I need to look more closely next time.

:)
Lol
In the context of when in comparison with the Goodyear assy 3's and the Pirrelli Pzero's

Reactions: Rob2k68 and Simon L
Go for whitewalls next time. Add a touch of class :haha:

Reactions: pburv, Rob2k68 and Jassyo06
Lol
In the context of when in comparison with the Goodyear assy 3's and the Pirrelli Pzero's

...........oh dear, I think we're gonna have to get the 'Geek of the Week' trophy off Rob and give it you mate..........................very unhealthy habit of yours this car tyre spotting!! lol

Reactions: pburv, Rob2k68, Jassyo06 and 1 other person
...........oh dear, I think we're gonna have to get the 'Geek of the Week' trophy off Rob and give it you mate..........................very unhealthy habit of yours this car tyre spotting!! lol

Yip l will take the trophy for a wee while until Rob comes up with something else
Pzero's are the best looking tyre for the S3 lol

Summer has arrived.....you might want to try these....

P Zero 19:-

Asy 2 18 :-

Reactions: pburv, Simon L and Jassyo06
Yip l will take the trophy for a wee while until Rob comes up with something else........

Been thinking about an audio upgrade ......

Reactions: pburv, Simon L, S3Alex and 1 other person
Had P Zeros on my R. Good tyres but I don't remember them being as ugly as that photo. This is coming from someone who usually just sees a tyre.

I really like them. Could be the angle the photos been taken at, here's one square on ......

Reactions: Jassyo06, pburv, Owain S3 and 1 other person
Nah, maybe it's the aggressive scalloping and excessive tyre shine:)

My next tyres will be MPSS, no snow here thankfully so summer tyres every day of the year.

Speaking of tyres l can't get the audi dust caps off went to put air in me tyres the other day could l get them....fingers where stinging afterwards Jeezus lol

Reactions: pburv, Simon L and Rob2k68
Speaking of tyres l can't get the audi dust caps off went to put air in me tyres the other day could l get them....fingers where stinging afterwards Jeezus lol

That's not good mate - the metal accessory ones need copper grease or similar on the valves to prevent them rusting on. Try wrapping a microfibre around it and using pliers or mole grips.

Reactions: pburv, Simon L and Jassyo06
That's not good mate - the metal accessory ones need copper grease or similar on the valves to prevent them rusting on. Try wrapping a microfibre around it and using pliers or mole grips.
Cheers mate, am on it.

Reactions: pburv, Simon L and Rob2k68

Man up!! lol

Reactions: pburv, Rob2k68 and Jassyo06
Reactions: batch, pburv, Jassyo06 and 1 other person
.............yer gonna look a bit of a prat blaring out Val Doonicans greatest hits on that lot though Rob.................:whistle2:

Was thinking more like Abba Gold ? ;o)

Reactions: pburv, Jassyo06 and Simon L
Right av had all me tyres off lol,on the Conti 5's, there are 3 wider tracks...first one starts after the very narrow track just off the sidewall,now the 3 main tracks....as you look into the tyre's are all different depth's???? shallowest one is the first one...then 2nd track deeper, 3rd track, furthest in even deeper,my question is this there design or is it how the tyre's are wearing? because on the most shallowest track l have about 3/4 mm....the rest are deeper,cars traveled 12,800 miles soft miles....no hard cornering from jassy,they look terrible for such short mileage,l am going to get some new ones, after l come back from me holidays,hopefully the car will be away come end of July?

To some up The worst wearing tyre l have ever come across,Bridgestone Potenzas..come second

Reactions: Simon L, pburv and Rob2k68
Right av had all me tyres off lol,on the Conti 5's, there are 3 wider tracks...first one starts after the very narrow track just off the sidewall,now the 3 main tracks....as you look into the tyre's are all different depth's???? shallowest one is the first one...then 2nd track deeper, 3rd track, furthest in even deeper,my question is this there design or is it how the tyre's are wearing? because on the most shallowest track l have about 3/4 mm....the rest are deeper,cars traveled 12,800 miles soft miles....no hard cornering from jassy,they look terrible for such short mileage,l am going to get some new ones, after l come back from me holidays,hopefully the car will be away come end of July?

To some up The worst wearing tyre l have ever come across,Bridgestone Potenzas..come second

Couldn't imagine them being all different depths when fresh out of the box mate that sounds strange - could your alignment be out ?

Reactions: Simon L, pburv and Jassyo06