S3 tyre wear

Banwell

previously LeeS3
Reaction score
Has anyone checked thier front tyres yet?

Mine are a few mills off the wear indicators, after only 7000 miles.

Also what would be the best new fronts or swaps to the back?

The backs are in pristine condition - so much for the 40/60 bias (f/r)

That sounds crap. Mine lasted 15k all round before replacement and where Nero Zeros. What do you have on currently?

My Sport Contact 2's are at approx 4mm after 12000 miles, don't know what you've been doing to yours!

There is no 40/60 split on the S3. It's more like 95/5 permanently and anything in between when required.

s3rob said:
There is no 40/60 split on the S3. It's more like 95/5 permanently and anything in between when required.

Someone posted an email a while back from a guy from haldex and he said it was 60/40

staz1000 said:
Someone posted an email a while back from a guy from haldex and he said it was 60/40

No he didn't. He said If the fronts werent transferring all there power to the road then it is possible for the rears wheels to put more down than the front wheels. For that to happen the front wheels have to be loosing traction. There is no defined split with haldex as its always adjusting power but its front wheel biased. 40/60 bias means the car drives around normally with 60% of the power going to the rear, that isnt even possible with haldex as theres no centre diff to split the power, just a clutch pack to tap into the power from the front diff and send it to the rear diff.

dandle said:
No he didn't. He said If the fronts werent transferring all there power to the road then it is possible for the rears wheels to put more down than the front wheels. For that to happen the front wheels have to be loosing traction. There is no defined split with haldex as its always adjusting power but its front wheel biased. 40/60 bias means the car drives around normally with 60% of the power going to the rear, that isnt even possible with haldex as theres no centre diff to split the power, just a clutch pack to tap into the power from the front diff and send it to the rear diff.

Yes sorry I was wrong there. Ignore that. However the articale did say near 100% to the rear was possible btw.

staz1000 said:

No he didn't.

I know becuase that's what I was quoting from. I haven't seen it for a while but I'm fairly sure if you dig it up again the guy said under normal load it is 95/5. There is no way for Haldex to do a continuos rearward bias under normal driving conditions.

staz1000 said:
Yes sorry I was wrong there. Ignore that. However the articale did say near 100% to the rear was possible btw.

Yes it is, if the front wheels are off the ground or on ice then they can transfer no power to the ground so the rear if it has grip will transfer it all.

Down to just over 4mm on fronts.. :( - so should probably start thinking of replacements soon.

GSD3s, Proxes or PS2s .. :unsure:

-Sal- :cool:

s3rob said:

How can it be permanently 95/5, but anything in between when required...unless your version of permanent means not permanent, ie. variable.

I believe Haldex suggest 70/30 in favour of the rears when accelerating hard in a straight line is achievable as well, purely because the fronts have less traction when the weight is off them, hence the power is transfered rearwards...

normski said:
How can it be permanently 95/5, but anything in between when required...unless your version of permanent means not permanent, ie. variable.

I believe Haldex suggest 70/30 in favour of the rears when accelerating hard in a straight line is achievable as well, purely because the fronts have less traction when the weight is off them, hence the power is transfered rearwards...

Well there's a confusion in terms. Audi say it is permanent four wheel drive but you're right, in that sense it can't be permanent and variable. I meant that in normal driving conditions it's 95/5 (according to the Haldex guy who was quoted a while ago).

My car has done 16k now and the fronts are about 1mm from the indicator marks and the rears are about 1.5mm from the wear indicators.

They have seemed to have worn very evenly which is good as i always try and change all 4 tyres at the same time to get a better price and also i hate having different tyres on the car.

Mine are the standard P-Zeros but i think i will go for Toyo T1-R's next.