S3 Tyre wear

DeanTTaylor

Reaction score
I was washing the S3 today and noticed the front tyres are scrubbed out on the inside edge. I was reading that camber can cause this, without knowing how much camber a S3 runs vs a standard A3, I was wondering is it normal?? or does it look like it needs a wheel alignment There is only about 3mm from the bump to the top of the wheel, so I'm guessing it's time for new tyres anyway. Is it something I could have done to prevent it? the tyres are the original potenza RE0504 with 21,000 km on them.

Image 1 Image

Foy replacements I was thinking of getting continental sport contact 5 or Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 2, What do you guys recommend?

Cheers

Dean.

The bridgestones do wear their inside edges but it's normally made worse by the tyres not being ran at the correct pressures.

Running conti 5s atm. Love them. Would recommend these to anyone

i am about to change my tyres too and was thinking sport contact 5 but there is a merc version . does any one who the diffrence ? and would the merc ones be ok on my s3 or just get the normall ones?

I would get a lazer alignment done. That inside wear to the camber does not look normal
+1

i had mine aligned yesterday and it was slightly out ! This is on a 2011 car as well. Also changed over the winter tyres to Goodyear Eagle F1 so all good now.

Running conti 5s atm. Love them. Would recommend these to anyone

Ive had these on for 6k now. Very good tyre indeed, seem to handle 340bhp fine, unless really provoked ofcourse....

Alignment is a persistent problem on Quattros.

I've had this with an A3 3.2,A4 3.0TDi Quattro,and the current S3.

Have the thing put through a 4WD alignment,and also the change to either F1 Assys or Contis should make a huge difference in handling.

Here's what mine looked like before ....

img003.jpg

And after....

img004.jpg

This is before the latest round of mods,and you won't get any camber adjustment on the S3 in stock form.

Makes me laugh every time you post that picture of your alignment Alex!

It must have been crabbing like a treat!

:keule:

Makes me laugh every time you post that picture of your alignment Alex!

It must have been crabbing like a treat!

:keule:

It was trying to turn corners,and honestly,you can feel that.

It's always been a problem with the Quattros,and the alignment never seems to last more than maybe 4-6 months,so I get it checked when I swap from winter to summer setups on the car.

i am about to change my tyres too and was thinking sport contact 5 but there is a merc version . does any one who the diffrence ? and would the merc ones be ok on my s3 or just get the normall ones?

Im running the MO's on mine, i researched into it and theres no difference at all. Its just a way of getting owners of particular brands of cars to buy particular tyres which may be more expensive because theyre supposedly for one make of vehicle. Weirdly the MO's were cheaper than the normal conti5s and AO conti5s. Ive had no problems with mine whatsoever. It does say MO in quite small letters on the tyre wall tho so just bare that in mind

Im running the MO's on mine, i researched into it and theres no difference at all. Its just a way of getting owners of particular brands of cars to buy particular tyres which may be more expensive because theyre supposedly for one make of vehicle. Weirdly the MO's were cheaper than the normal conti5s and AO conti5s. Ive had no problems with mine whatsoever. It does say MO in quite small letters on the tyre wall tho so just bare that in mind

Mine also MO, but you can get the Audi ones fairly easily as it turns out, i was just impatient.

People will no doubt start saying these can cause insurance issues in an event of a crash etc, and to be fair, it may!

But hell, if they start crying about it, then 'Sir Conti himself'will have a phone call asking for the actual difference between the 2.

His reply will no doubt be, one has MO on it. that's it.

Had the same issues on my A3 TDI & My S3.
Once the tyres get REALLY worn they were consistant with the tyre in the first post. My A3 tdi was lowered & re-aligned & the S3 had alignment done but still wore the tyres out in that manner on the front & backs.

CSC3 on my S3 have worn in the same way on the fronts.
Probably about 20k kms, the front in side edges are down to the wear indicators.

Mine are also 'MO'.

I'll most likely be replacing with CSC5 when I change up shortly.