S3 Turbo issues reported

And if you have a tuning box, and the turbo goes bang, and its recovered straight to the dealer - what chance have you of removing the box, and all the additional harness ?!

Reactions: S3Alex
And if you have a tuning box, and the turbo goes bang, and its recovered straight to the dealer - what chance have you of removing the box, and all the additional harness ?!

Agreed.

My take on tuning/modifying has always been to regard the warranty as invalid,and anything offered by Audi after that would be a bonus.

As tuners get more advanced in what they can and can't do,so do the manufacturers in encrypting their ECUs,and tracking what's been done to the car.

Reactions: HansW
Take a look on Arin@APR post at vwvortex.com:

Look at all these revisions:

1.8T Transverse Engine
(Low output engines – Example: Golf / A3 / Leon / Octavia):

06K 145 701 J - Revision 1
06K 145 701 L - Revision 2
06K 145 701 M - Revision 3
06K 145 701 N - Revision 4
06K 145 701 S - Revision 5
06K 145 713 E - Revision 6
06K 145 713 F – Revision 7

1.8T Longitudinal Engine
(Example A4 / A5 / Q5):

06L 145 701 C - Revision 1
06L 145 701 D - Revision 2
06L 145 701 E - Revision 3
06L 145 701 F - Revision 4
06L 145 701 G - Revision 5
06L 145 701 H - Revision 6
06L 145 701 J - Revision 7

2.0T Transverse Engine
(Low output engines – Example: GTI / A3 / Leon / Octavia / S1):

06K 145 702 K - Revision 1
06K 145 702 Q - Revision 2
06K 145 702 R - Revision 3
06K 145 702 T - Revision 4

2.0T Longitudinal Engine
(Example A4 / A5 / Q5):

06L 145 702 D - Revision 1
06L 145 702 F - Revision 2
06L 145 702 P - Revision 3
06L 145 702 M - Revision 4
06L 145 702 R - Revision 5

2.0T Transverse Engine
(High output engines – Example Golf R / S3 / Leon Cupra):

06K 145 702 J - Revision 1
06K 145 702 N - Revision 2
06K 145 722 A - Revision 3

Here is mine:
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1407604751948198

Build week 17 for me. Mine is a "N". Looks like the date of my serial no: is 24/03/2014. I guess that's it's build date.

Article suggests that April / May build of turbos were the issue.

Last edited:
Build week 17 for me. Mine is a "N". Looks like the date of my serial no: is 24/03/2014. I guess that's it's build date. :sadlike:

Article suggests that April / May build of turbos were the issue.

How do u get a build date for your turbo from the numbers on that plate? Sorry if been thick but dont see it

3rd line down first 8 numbers. riggers (the picture a few posts up) turbo was built 29/11/13. It's just reversed. Year, month, day.

Have had this same worry with my twincharger A1 that had turbo and oil consumption issues reported. That cars turbo had same manufacturer so know that's the manufacturer date on the serial no plate.

Got u know mine is 15-05-2014 then build week was 22 bout 2 weeks after turbo then, why you worried if dodgy batch April/May then fella?

I guess I shouldn't be! But who knows?

Hopefully mine will be fine but just because one news article says "April/may" built turbos, doesn't actually mean it's going to be OK.

Well mine is mid may but not going to let it ruin my experience of driving a great car, or change my attitude to driving it hard as nature intended for a 300ps hatchback, if it fails it fails and thats why it has a warranty, hope everone enjoying their cars,
Col

Reactions: Lock & Load
Fair point.

I'm more worried it going bang on a Sunday far away from home. Getting cars recovered mid-week is bad enough let alone weekends.

If it happens it happens I guess - still going to enjoy it like you!

Reactions: HansW
So let's re-cap: which batch is the potentially dodgy?

3rd line down first 8 numbers. riggers (the picture a few posts up) turbo was built 29/11/13. It's just reversed. Year, month, day.

Have had this same worry with my twincharger A1 that had turbo and oil consumption issues reported. That cars turbo had same manufacturer so know that's the manufacturer date on the serial no plate.

Nice to know!!
It makes sense due to the fact my car is Dec2013 MY.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pulp84
Fair point.

I'm more worried it going bang on a Sunday far away from home. Getting cars recovered mid-week is bad enough let alone weekends.

If it happens it happens I guess - still going to enjoy it like you!

Nice one mate, fingers crossed we'll be ok

So let's re-cap: which batch is the potentially dodgy?

A "small" batch built April / May. Could be 10, could be 100. Who knows.

After reading the article again it notes there is "reports spread across SEAT, VW and Audi forums of turbos failing". We have had I think one guy on here with a turbo failure? His turbo as noted could not have been one of these rogues ones built as it went bang Jan 2014.

It's the same as with the 1.4 Twin-charger 185 P.S engine - lots of news stories of engines going bang and high oil consumption. At most read about 5 engines being replaced in reality.

Might be the same thing with this. Lots of worry over something that statistically probably won't happen.

^Tnx Pulp84..
Well, today i went with some friends for a drive at mountain roads.. Had fun. Turbo is still pushing ️

but what's stopping you having it recovered to home first ?

that has always been a concern of mine though. I still have a box fitted

Strictly speaking, according to the Audi Assist T&C's, it's a one-time, one journey recovery to the destination of your choice, so either home, or the dealer, or somewhere else you nominate.

So the second recovery from home to the dealer would be down to the dealer goodwill, rather than Audi Assist. Which isn't a problem normally, unless you live a fair distance from your dealer of choice ;)

Reactions: Scott
For those of you with RHD cars, it's pretty easy to get to. To the right of the turbo (from standing in front of the car), there's a fairly big gap, just stick your camera down there, point towards the turbo and take a shot.

Here's mine - March 8th... From memory, it was build week 13 or 14.

S3 turbo

So do the newer S3's have exactly the same performance perimeters as the early ones or are they similar to the new TTS?

Strange that the N turbos has been used in such a long time...
My was build in beginning of December 2013.
Turbo seems to be from 20131128...06K 145 702 N
IMG_20141026_135158.jpg

I have now 14tkm and going strong...but I wonder for how long. :/ Are the "bad" turbos mostly failing quite fast? Or can the fail after 30tkm and maybe the warranty is not valid anymore?

They seem to be failing sub 5k miles although the amount of failings seems to have died down so maybe as suggested earlier in the thread a bad batch around April time... Hopefully ;).

Well the turbo on my S3 just being replaced at 1 year old, 8K miles from new (registered March 2014). Having read about start/stop when I get mine back that (blasted) system is being switched off, most of my miles are motorway miles, (or should I say motorway queues) so start/stop has had a fair usage. And just before she went, I started getting start/stop issues message in the MMI telling me "auto start/stop disabled, you must restart the car manually" (or something like that. It's also just had the fuel pump and 2 injectors replaced at the same time (the order of replacement being fuel pump, injectors, and now turbo). What Audi Assist / dealer told me was that the turbo sliders were rattling quite badly, so whilst it is in the shop having been recovered with a massive overfuelling problem at tickover (hence the fuel pump and 2 injectors) they are replacing the turbo as a precaution. So maybe there is still a legacy out there of dodgy turbo's from around that period.......

Whilst I'm rather unhappy that a car costing in excess of £35K is in bits at one year old and 250 miles after its first service, at least the dealership is doing the right thing (IMO) and going right through it to make sure its all good.

Last edited:
Reactions: kanecullen89
From memory, the dodgy batch of turbos were produced "sometime in April/May" so sounds like if your car was registered March, it may have missed the "dodgy batch" ?

Will be good to have a photo of your new replacement turbo, showing part number and build date.

Not a problem veeight, hopefully getting mine back next Thursday all being well, will sort photo out after that and post up

Reactions: veeeight
There might be a bit of internet forum confusion going on, there are 2 turbo issues, one on MQB turbo cars, and the other on MQB S3/7R cars only.

@ColMariner might know more?

Mine is a April 14 build and the serial number / batch is one of the ones reported as dodgy.

Waiting for mine to go bang - especially as mine is driven hard when it does go out......

There might be a bit of internet forum confusion going on, there are 2 turbo issues, one on MQB turbo cars, and the other on MQB S3/7R cars only.

@ColMariner might know more?

Post#38 in this thread is limit of my knowledge I'm afraid mate, would be interesting to see if they have started fitting the 702A turbos to S3's though. Look forward to pics of @HawkeyeS3 new turbo