S3 turbo bolt advice

goodbuzzman1

Reaction score
i recently replaced my turbo and didn't realise that the old one I sent away had studs so I had to use bolts in the new one. I don't think they are up to the job though as they keep coming loose.
Can someone advice me on the best type of bolts to use and their measurements. I would remove the ones I have in it to check size but then I would be unable to drive anywhere to get new ones. Cheers

don't go to Audi as will cost a fortune. i had the same problem and the bolts that cam with the new turbo kept coming loose for about 6 months. and Audi wanted over £20 for turbo studs. what i did was purchase new turbo studs from TPS they are about £0.70 each so a lot cheaper and for the nuts i used Knuts these are special locking nuts hear is the link they are quite pricey for nut but put them on my car over a month ago an have not come loss where as the blots that can with the turbo only lasted about a week.

http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/karting/nuts-bolts-washers/demon-tweeks-metric-aerospace-locknut-k-nut

They are expensive for a reason... not just because they are from VAG but because they are made from a material that means they don't come loose every 6 months...

'Other' bolts and studs will stretch over time due to the heat... I don't think they are made from inconel but could be from some other superalloy that is designed to withstand the heat etc

Personally do it once, do it right... I only ever use OE stuff on things like this as you know its designed to work

<tuffty/>

Thanks for the advice. I sorted the problem again today with different bolts and tried locking washers this time. I don't expect it to last long. I reckon though that it would be a seriously difficult job to get the proper studs in to the turbo due to lack of space. And yeah you are right, I wouldnt have a problem paying money for parts that do the job. I've had to re-tighten these several times