S3 tuning - beyond "stage 1"

teamspb

Reaction score
Hey guys & girls,

Just wanted to ask, what is considered the next step after a "Stage 1" which im guessing is a remap...

I have also seen companies like APR offer a stage 1 and stage 2 map...whats the difference? Does the stage 2 map require supporting mods?

At what step is a decat, bigger downpipe and intercooler required?

Car in question is a 2014/2015 S3 Saloon

Wondering what your experiences are?

Thank you in advance

i got custom remap, givin the figures am running now at early 400bhp i would say am boarder line stage 2, if not stage 2. i had to upgrade my clutch though as mine is a manual. i also swapped my spark plugs to RS7 ones and also started running millers nanodrive 5w 40+ engine oil, had few other bits done like VW R600 Cold Air Intake, turbo elbow etc. exhaust is all standard also.

intercooler is top of me list though once i get some new tyres sorted as i think thats important, after big remaps.

if i were to stick a down pipe on with intercooler and another remap i would be certain those figures will increase but am not sure i wana push more out, its a monster as it is lol

Reactions: PanamaS3, Rob2k68 and teamspb
Great info there Lucas...who mapped yours? What figures do you have at your disposal to say at or around 400hp?

Our supporting mods so far are;
RamAir induction kit
Airtec turbo muffler delete
RamAir turbo elbow
Centre box delete on standard exhaust

Possible options before mapping;
Wagner intercooler
3inch downpipe and decat mounted to stock exhaust

Hey guys & girls,

Just wanted to ask, what is considered the next step after a "Stage 1" which im guessing is a remap...

I have also seen companies like APR offer a stage 1 and stage 2 map...whats the difference? Does the stage 2 map require supporting mods?

At what step is a decat, bigger downpipe and intercooler required?

Car in question is a 2014/2015 S3 Saloon

Wondering what your experiences are?

Thank you in advance
Tuning companies offer a Stage 1 remap (ECU) which usually only needs improving/changing your air intake/restrictions into the turbo...but its not necessary. If you have a DSG then its recommended to remap the TCU also (to improve clamping pressure) and best done by the same tuning company as ECU.
Stage 2 remap (ECU) you would want to do the above hardware mods plus spark plugs, boost pipes, downpipe, DV/blow-off, intercooler, possibly some brake upgrades. Also best to upgrade TCU again at this point at same time.
Decat can be done at any stage to improve airflow out....aftermarket downpipes come with improved flow cats. Doing this also makes the exhaust louder.

Reactions: lucaslfc
Great info there Lucas...who mapped yours? What figures do you have at your disposal to say at or around 400hp?

Our supporting mods so far are;
RamAir induction kit
Airtec turbo muffler delete
RamAir turbo elbow
Centre box delete on standard exhaust

Possible options before mapping;
Wagner intercooler
3inch downpipe and decat mounted to stock exhaust

there alot more experienced modders knockin about for the S3s that will give ya some better info, i just picked all mine up as i went along on here mate picking peeps brains like rob2k, panama, parkins etc they no there s**t like.

i went to a place called unicorn motor developments mate, went with a custom map to suit the car rather then set generic one was just my preference, any remap will make difference its unreal tbh. its done on dyno so you get your print out, i have mine posted on here somewere would have to dig it out ;)

defo get your intercooler an down pipe before remap if funds allow bro, i had spent enough before mine, hence they still on the list lol

To get the best out of your car an intercooler, extaust etc is what you would need for Stage 2 and onwards. The list is quite extensive to what you could change but it all depends on what you want to spend on your build as it gets expensive very quickly.

Reactions: Rob2k68
I have stage 2 map with dsg software with the following
forge intercooler
forge intake
forge muffler delete
forge elbow pipe
forge intercooler
milltek decat

Mine did 405bhp and 415lb of torque.

No matter what you do you will probably get used to it and want more lol. Im already looking stage 3

whats the benefit of the RS7 plugs? Ive seen this mentioned elsewhere.

whats the benefit of the RS7 plugs? Ive seen this mentioned elsewhere.

They run 1 step cooler so cool off faster than the stick plug. In a tuned engine the increased heat could cause premature detonation so the one step cooler plug helps prevent this.

I’m running these along with RS3 coil packs and it’s very smooth and responsive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Reactions: MikeParkin
They run 1 step cooler so cool off faster than the stick plug. In a tuned engine the increased heat could cause premature detonation so the one step cooler plug helps prevent this.

I’m running these along with RS3 coil packs and it’s very smooth and responsive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Do you have links to the spark plugs and coil packs mate?

you can mix and match hardware mods to your hearts content if you have someone to match the software to it.

For stage 2 software we recommend a Wagner intercooler, uprated down pipe, TT or Forge intake hose and K&N panel filter. You can have other intakees if you prefer more noise etc. This package will take you to the 400bhp mark,

Rick

Reactions: FBF01 and MikeParkin
Doing well for stage 1
20180615_094832.jpg

Reactions: MikeParkin