S3 tow bar

lee_fr200

Reaction score
I notice audi haven't listed one in the options, anyone know if a tow bar will fit the s3? If so know anywhere that will do them?

I notice audi haven't listed one in the options, anyone know if a tow bar will fit the s3? If so know anywhere that will do them?

I had wondered that.. Westphalia who make them for Audi don't list them. Not sure why you can have one on a 184 TDi quattro but not an S3??? Useful and handy for trips to the tip, small boats etc.. Fortunately have on other car so not an issue (yet!)

Audi will not fit a towbar to a quattro officially, because the rear diff overheats or some nonsense (so I have read!). You'll have to get a third party after market one I think.

Audi will not fit a towbar to a quattro officially, because the rear diff overheats or some nonsense (so I have read!). You'll have to get a third party after market one I think.

Well we had an Audi factory one on an 8P and it is an option on the new 184 quattro!! Why not S3??

But as said the 184 quattro can have one, this is my sticking point on which car to order, as I need a tow bar of some description to pull a box trailer and occasionally a boat, but I'm intoxicated buy the s3 rather than the 184q

But as said the 184 quattro can have one, this is my sticking point on which car to order, as I need a tow bar of some description to pull a box trailer and occasionally a boat, but I'm intoxicated buy the s3 rather than the 184q

Where are you based Lee .. PM me if you are stuck and I can put you on to a knowledgeable guy in the South who does all sorts of Audi aftermarket stuff.

Hmm, you can on the 1.8 TFSI as well. I don't think you could have one on the old S3 either, perhaps it's some other problem.

Diesels are far better for towing anyway though.

Where are you based Lee .. PM me if you are stuck and I can put you on to a knowledgeable guy in the South who does all sorts of Audi aftermarket stuff.

I'm in West Yorkshire (near Leeds) any help appreciated though.

Hmm, you can on the 1.8 TFSI as well. I don't think you could have one on the old S3 either, perhaps it's some other problem.

Diesels are far better for towing anyway though.

While I agree with the diesel aspect I won't be towing everyday and tbh the s3 is intoxicating and the sound of them the looks the acceleration all appeal

Well if it's the backbox stopping it that can easily be rectified with an aftermarket exhaust from the likes of miltek or akrapovic surely all the mounting points are the same on the sportback models and the rear axle and diff will be probably the same on the 1.8 the 2.0tdi and the s3

Reactions: PilotAudi
I'd imagine that the quad exhaust tips come out of a central box that lies along the length of the car (like it did in my focus ST). That way all the pipes work the same rather than two of them effectively being dummy ones. With the box in that kind of position a tow bar can't be secured without getting in the way of the back box.

So the best way would possibly to have the cat back pipe split and go to 2 separate backboxes which would negate the central box section

Possibly best in titanium which would also save weight, but it's finding a titanium exhaust for a new s3 OR finding someone to make one

So the best way would possibly to have the cat back pipe split and go to 2 separate backboxes which would negate the central box section

Possibly best in titanium which would also save weight, but it's finding a titanium exhaust for a new s3 OR finding someone to make one

What a palaver, buy your wife a car that can take a towbar then order the S3 and be done with it.

if that was an option I would do, but she doesn't drive plus 2 lots of insurance tax etc etc, I use my car for work ( self employed) so it's a car that will be used for work and pleasure and towing on occasional boat or trailer.

Does anyone know if the part numbers are the same for the 2.0tdi 184 quattro and the 1.8tfsi quattro towbar cos if so it will probably fit the s3 too

I think the answer is... if you need a towbar, the S3 is not the car for you!

Reactions: s3_trev
Does anyone know if the part numbers are the same for the 2.0tdi 184 quattro and the 1.8tfsi quattro towbar cos if so it will probably fit the s3 too

What makes you say that? I thought it had already been established that it's the exhaust on the S3 that would prevent fitting!

The exhaust is a minor part and can be reworked, if the towbar part numbers are the same for the other 2 it will more than likely fit the s3 once it has a reworked exhaust

I'd rather do that than shell out for a 2.0tdi quattro (I'd rather have a car I desire rather than something that will make do)

Just sent an email to westfalia so will see what they say

A tow bar is a useful feature. Could do with one at the moment!

Just out of interest do Audi publish approved towing data for the S3? If not then the fitting of an unapproved accessory might invalidate some sections of the warranty?
Certainly I would want some clarification on that.

No they don't but they didn't on the previous s3 but you can get a dealer fit towbar for the previous shape

Just got a reply if anyone could check there vehicles I'd appreciate it

Dear Mr Smith

Thank you for your recent E-mail regarding the S3 derivative. I have checked all of our application data and in all cases we specifically exclude the S3 model. In addition, I have looked at the future development list for this vehicle and there is nothing planned for the S3. It is possible that the bumper profile is not suitable for a towbar to be fitted to the S3 or possibly the manufacturer has not homologated the vehicle for towing. If it is the latter it would be worth your while checking the specification of the vehicle to ensure it can tow. This can also be done by checking the VIN plate. The difference between the Gross Vehicle Weight (GVW) and the Gross Train Weight (GTW) is the towing capacity. If the two numbers are the same the vehicle has not been homologated to tow.

I hope this helps.

Jim Bedford
Director
Westfalia UK Limited
Suite 102, St. Albans House
St. Albans Road
Stafford
ST16 3DP
United Kingdom
Tel: +44 1785 226888
Fax +44 1785 248963
Mobile: +44 7894 858763

So who has information on this ? " The difference between the Gross Vehicle Weight (GVW) and the Gross Train Weight (GTW) is the towing capacity" ?

Maybe it's because tow bars look awful and Audi are trying to save you all from fitting them? Lol ;)

Reactions: s3_trev
Ah Joe... The tow bars are hidden.. The clue is in the name you don't see them.. ;-)

Bit like 'The Emperor's New Tow bar' !!

I've seen a few of these driving about, maybe he forgot to remove his phallic attachment?

Pilot I knew you'd love the pp!

So who has information on this ? " The difference between the Gross Vehicle Weight (GVW) and the Gross Train Weight (GTW) is the towing capacity" ?

Need someone to check their vin plate

Hi,
What you must look for are the 4 lines of weights (kg) on the plate/sticker inside the front door, the first is the GVW & the second the GTW. I have confirmed that on an "AUDI A3 (A5) S3 QUATTRO 3 DOOR HATCHBACK 1984cc (2013) PETROL" there is no train weight listed on this plate, only a line of XXXXkg.
This basically means that Audi have not homologated the vehicle to tow, fitting a towbar or towing could void warranty/insurance etc.

I hope this helps
TechDot

It's a pity. My sales rep ensured me that it is possible to fit an aftermarket tow bar.

The dealers will say anything to sell you a car though.

It's a pity. My sales rep ensured me that it is possible to fit an aftermarket tow bar.

After having a look at an s3 on the ramps at audi the exhaust gets totally in the way, if you had an aftermarket exhaust then it would be possible

After having a look at an s3 on the ramps at audi the exhaust gets totally in the way, if you had an aftermarket exhaust then it would be possible

But would it mean losing the quad exhaust tips?

Don't forget that you wont be towing just carrying bikes.