S3 top mounts help or tricks for lows

ElzLewis

Reaction score
Hi,
I currently run ST X Coilovers on my s3 fully wound down and I’m craving an extra 10mm drop up front to just tuck the very top of the tyre..
My question is does anyone have any tricks to gain 10mm drop somewhere ? I.e top mounts?
Like on my 8L you could run the powerflex ones and gain 10mm or run older Audi ones
Any help appreciated
9E37DAE5 7C3B 4E8F 914D DBACDBC1A6A5

Reactions: Janice_3S3
Maybe running camber plates would give you an extra few mm's .... Not sure though.

What I'd suggest is run something like swift springs at a size of your choosing .... Shorter spring so you'd wanna wind the collars up a bit.

Sent from my highchair using Tapacar

Maybe running camber plates would give you an extra few mm's .... Not sure though.

What I'd suggest is run something like swift springs at a size of your choosing .... Shorter spring so you'd wanna wind the collars up a bit.

why mess with perfection
I’m literally only after 10mm at the front which is the annoying part as it’s maxed out ..
Camber top mounts actually gain lows? I don’t really need camber adjustment
0F45F45E BF21 44DA 9098 A1BCBE3ACE90

I’m literally only after 10mm at the front which is the annoying part as it’s maxed out ..
Camber top mounts actually gain lows? I don’t really need camber adjustment
View attachment 178294
Dont know if camber plates would .... You'd have to sit some besides a regular mount and whatnot .... Might actually lift it.

Springs will work .... There about 250£ likely

Dont know if camber plates would .... You'd have to sit some besides a regular mount and whatnot .... Might actually lift it.

Springs will work .... There about 250£ likely
Not buying new springs if I can help it as the Coilovers are 6 months old and we’re £730

Get the arches modified to sit lower
And that would cost more than buying different Coilovers and not a fan of that idea aha!

Hi,
I currently run ST X Coilovers on my s3 fully wound down and I’m craving an extra 10mm drop up front to just tuck the very top of the tyre..
My question is does anyone have any tricks to gain 10mm drop somewhere ? I.e top mounts?
Like on my 8L you could run the powerflex ones and gain 10mm or run older Audi ones
Any help appreciated
View attachment 178261

There's usually a 10-15mm lip on the bottom of the shocks where the shock goes into the hub. You can safely cut off around 10mm which will make the whole coilover body shorter. Was going to do it to mine but never got around to it.

See pic below

Last edited:
There's usually a 10-15mm lip on the bottom of the shocks where the shock goes into the hub. You can safely cut off around 10mm which will make the whole coilover body shorter. Was going to do it to mine but never got around to it.

See pic below
Damn good idea ....

Just gotta make sure not to get too near the weld .... And paint after ....

See pic below

Damn good idea ....

Just gotta make sure not to get too near the weld .... And paint after ....

Is tempting to give that a whirl id still leave a small amount on it.. I also thought about dropping the actual strut into the hub mount a bit more like the t4/t5 van boys do ? Was unsure on this method though
Thanks!

Is tempting to give that a whirl id still leave a small amount on it.. I also thought about dropping the actual strut into the hub mount a bit more like the t4/t5 van boys do ? Was unsure on this method though
Thanks!
I wouldn’t do that as there is a lip inside the hub that the coilovers strut sits on. You’d have to remove the lip to get it to work in the first place and if the strut ever droppped down it would smash right through the cv joint causing all sorts of problems.

Reactions: abmat
I wouldn’t do that as there is a lip inside the hub that the coilovers strut sits on. You’d have to remove the lip to get it to work in the first place and if the strut ever droppped down it would smash right through the cv joint causing all sorts of problems.
Yes agreed it seems a bit dodgey but the t4/t5 lads do it and those vans weigh a hell of a lot more..
May just go with the option of trimming the 10mm off the bottom of the strut but annoyingly that will ruin my tracking I’d presume ?

Yes agreed it seems a bit dodgey but the t4/t5 lads do it and those vans weigh a hell of a lot more..
May just go with the option of trimming the 10mm off the bottom of the strut but annoyingly that will ruin my tracking I’d presume ?
Do they trim the lip on the hub out? Up to you at the end of the day, would hate for someone to be injured as a result of doing something like that is all.

I wouldn’t have thought 10mm would make a huge difference to the alighnment. It’ll obviously benefit from being aligned though.

You’ll probably find when you achieve that 10mm it’ll rub the paint off the top of the arches like mine has

F5E326D0 789F 4F65 B4C2 D6289AD559D7
Do they trim the lip on the hub out? Up to you at the end of the day, would hate for someone to be injured as a result of doing something like that is all.

I wouldn’t have thought 10mm would make a huge difference to the alighnment. It’ll obviously benefit from being aligned though.

You’ll probably find when you achieve that 10mm it’ll rub the paint off the top of the arches like mine has
Yea exactly I don’t want to do anything unsafe and in reality I probably only need a 5mm drop which is what’s the annoying bit aha! And yea I believe they trim the lip out drop it in and just tighten the pinch bolt back up

F5E326D0 789F 4F65 B4C2 D6289AD559D7

Obviously that hub mod is a lot more extreme than I would need
D5859372 0C4D 4EB5 A96F 3F1BAA887B75