S3 to RS6

IanL-RS3

Reaction score
Hi guys

Almost 3 eventful years with my S3 and i'm not thinking of replacing it.

On the list is the RS4 and RS6.

Anybody made the move from S3 to RS6?

How would you compare it in terms of handling? Are you able to drive the car as hard as the S3, i.e use the power round the bends etc.

Cheers

Ian

IanL-S3 said:
Hi guys

Almost 3 eventful years with my S3 and i'm not thinking of replacing it.

On the list is the RS4 and RS6.

Anybody made the move from S3 to RS6?

How would you compare it in terms of handling? Are you able to drive the car as hard as the S3, i.e use the power round the bends etc.

Cheers

Ian

Hi there

The RS6 is great but it depends what you want..I wanted the space for the family...and the BHP.

You can't compare the beast to a S3...2 different cars by far....weighs tons more and is bigger by miles.

Power the '6 standard is double of the S3 which takes alittle getting used too...well a couple of miles:icon_thumright:
Handling around corners is never really going to happen well in the '6..not without a little help from Bilstein anyway

RS4 is the way forward if you don't need a big car...good power...good looks and easily tuned:)

nickelvery said:
Hi Ian,

I recently moved from a 2001 S3 to the B5 RS4. I was also looking at the RS6 but decided that the RS6 was bit of a big beast. I think you would prefer the RS4. Where do you live you should go and see Nick Johnson - http://www.nickjohnsonmotorco.co.uk/27045/nickjohn.htm - very friendly and knows his stuff.

Hope this helps.

Thanks Nick....you didn't pick up the red one by chance? :D

I live in Glasgow so its a wee bit out of the way!

marmite said:
Hi there

The RS6 is great but it depends what you want..I wanted the space for the family...and the BHP.

You can't compare the beast to a S3...2 different cars by far....weighs tons more and is bigger by miles.

Power the '6 standard is double of the S3 which takes alittle getting used too...well a couple of miles:icon_thumright:
Handling around corners is never really going to happen well in the '6..not without a little help from Bilstein anyway

RS4 is the way forward if you don't need a big car...good power...good looks and easily tuned:)

Cheers - it was the headline grabbing bhp figure that got my attention, plus the luxury aspect of the car, but as you say, i drive on wet Glasgow country roads and the handling is pretty important to keep me on the road. I was hoping it would have been a close run thing due to the DSC (i think that's what its called) but obviously you cannae change the laws of physics and the weight its always going to be an issue.

I guess i was looking at the 2003/4 RS6's because of bang for buck, but overall i guess the RS4 is better suited to me and my current (single) situation.

thanks - now off to do some RS4 reading :D

Yeah it was a Red RS4 I bought. I love it and if you are single like me too then why go for the big heavy RS6?

Hope you enjoy looking.

nickelvery said:
Yeah it was a Red RS4 I bought. I love it and if you are single like me too then why go for the big heavy RS6?

Hope you enjoy looking.

That's the stand out car by a mile on that site :) Good pickup :)

I was young (ahem) and foolish (defo) and looking at BHP of 500+ etc....but as you say, its good to come back to ASN and listen to some sense :) and the RS4 is a more nimble car, closer to the S3 in terms of handling which is really what i need.

Okay i guess i like the idea of being a lazy so and so with the auto box, but i guess i'd miss the manual every day.

Cheers for the advice

My S3 is just getting annoying - diff sticks on full lock, downpipe flex-hose is loose, and my seat just stopped tilting - so I was looking at what my next step might be. My friends are all aiming at E46 M3s, but I want a V8, and something a little less common. RS6 is one end of the scale, Maserati 3200 at the other (size/weight wise).

What are tuned RS4s like? The original reason for getting my S3 was to tune it.

Reactions: GPH
I recently traded my 2002 S3 (Abt 250bhp) in for a 2009 RS6 Avant (stock 580bhp).

Completely different cars.

You can chuck the S3 about through corners, it's little ESP light flashing away. Do the same with the RS6 and you just get lots of understeer with all the weight, and you start heading for the hedge so you have to lift off!

The S3 is great little run around, the RS6 is a monster luxury GT car. No need to tune 580BHP right now, although Abt do a 700BHP package. Would still be slower than my Porsche though so no real point.

Biggest difference though is how thirsty the RS6 is. 80L fuel tank means £85 fill-ups and they only last 300 miles even hyper-mileing! The S3 would achieve 35mpg on a long journey whereas the RS6 will struggle to hit 22mpg.

Car parks are also a challenge in the RS6. It's so long that you'll come back to find someone has left you some nice expensive scratches. It's pretty hard to park in a spot where you don't stick out from the 'box' in some direction.

My father in-law has been in quite a few supercars and many times out in my Turbo, and he reckons the RS6 is the best car he's ever been in. Power, luxury, and practicality. The RS6 was always an dream of mine so it was certainly bought more with the heart than the head. Still, my dog is one of the fastest on the planet now I suppose :undwech:

Recently bought an RS4 and given it a Stage 2 tune (475bhp). Fantastic car. Will do 30mpg (just) too if driving miss daisy...

Bought it for £11k !

Reactions: GPH
Wow, My next car will be the RS4 after the S3 but im getting ripped for insureance on the S3 as it is so i may just wait untill im a little older for the cheaper insureance.

I've changed my mind - RS6s are just too big to go up to straight from my wee S3. If only Audi had made an S5 style coupe in 03/04 that'd now be around the high teens price, that'd be perfect. They didn't though, so B7 S4 is where I'm looking, with B5 RS4 and 8P S3 still on the cards. Really do want a V8 though!