S3 to RS3 should I?

Marshy

Settled in
Reaction score
Basically as the title I have a 10 plate S3 sportback which is pretty well modded up running Revo stage 2+ and very happy with.
The thing is I've always wanted an RS3 and now there's a 62 plate with low miles for sale local to me
The only downside is the RS3 doesn't have the buckets which I'd of preferred.
Quite a bit of money to trade up but I'm in a position where I could.
What would you do?
Oh and if I did buy it if be leaving it standard!!!
I seem to remember hearing that before.

If you want it....you know you're worth it.

Seriously though,it adds some power and torque,and is a very nice car,just one with limited tuning options,unless you fancy some very costly work.
But it will get you well into the 400s before that.

And of course it's a 5 door....which is a bit marmite. LOL

Reactions: grainqey
Thanks Alex
I prefer 5 door to be honest.
My gripe is would I regret paying that kind of money and not having all the boxes ticked on my wish list like buckets?
This cars a local low mileage and I know the previous owner so never been modded or tracked etc

Its a lot of money to lose on the S3 though after all those mods, have you thought about a different turbo and custom map, would get you similar power as a mapped RS3?

On the flip side though the RS3 would be worth more when you come to sell it on.....

I haven't helped have I? :jester:

Reactions: Marshy
For me an RS3 is just a stupid amount of money for what is an A3 with a good engine. It's a very old platform and I just couldn't bring myself to spend so much upgrading to a car that is very similar!

Reactions: MattS5, guari, voorhees and 2 others
I don't have either car but I assume your S3 is running in the 330-350 BHP range?

I would keep the S3, I think a modded (engine/performance mods) S3 is a more desirable car and is more understated than the 8P RS3.

Maybe stick RS3 wheels on your S3?

I vote for keeping the S3 anyway...

Reactions: A32, S3Alex and Marshy
The more I think about it I'm swaying towards keeping my S3
If I'm going to spend money like that it should be on the newer platform S3/RS3
I best not go for my test drive tomorrow then as it'll make the decision even harder

Reactions: MattS5, grchmason and Sayam
The way I see it you'll spend all that ££ and still have a 8P chassis. Why not wait until the 8V rs3?

Yeah the sensible heads starting to come on.
Suppose that's one of the good things of working a 12 hour nightshift

Reactions: Sayam, Compkiler and S3Alex
There you go....once the midnight madness wears off,the euphoria goes and common sense returns!

Keep the S3,and add the big turbo......

Reactions: Doogie..., voorhees, grchmason and 2 others
Agree, a bit pointlrss going for an rs3 when you already have a stage 2+ s3!
Save that cash and wait for a newer version to come out in the next couple of years!

Don't forget the 'RS' tax, expect to pay muchos more for things like discs and pads and general maintenance.......that was one of the reasons I moved to the S3 from the RS6, a very different beast I know but maintenance was a killer.

Reactions: MattS5
Thanks for all the input.
Your all telling me what I know deep down, so I think I'll skip the test drive today.

Reactions: Sayam
I for one am so glad your keeping your S3 as you can't leave us your my Tech Guru lol!!!!

TTE Turbo and your be eating RS3's for breakfast :arco:

Reactions: Marshy
Not much point in going for the RS3 if you have a Stage 2+ S3 :) RS3 will get you into the 400bhp with a map and exhaust but after that it's crazy £££, Go Stage 3 S3 :D

Well as you know I sold my 2010 S3 Sportback and just bought a 2013 RS3.

I'd have to ask all the people stating that it would be pointless changing to an RS3 if they've actually driven one? They're a very different car to drive, a lot to do with the 7 speed DSG but also the power delivery, the amazing noise from the epic engine, better standard handling while still being extremely comfortable, much better brakes as standard, very different styling and just an overall feeling that you are driving a very different car.

Mine's fully specced and finally I have a car that although cost me more to buy actually saves me money each month, reason being I don't feel I need to do anything to it where I piled thousands into my S3 and it still didn't feel as good as the RS3 to drive when I finally took the plunge. It's also better on fuel on a long run and oddly cheaper to insure than my S3 was.

I find it amusing when people compare a tuned S3 to a standard RS3 too, you may or may not realise but just a remap will see you over 400bhp with 450+ ft/lb, a fella I know just fitted an intake, exhaust and got it APR stage 2 mapped, it made 430bhp & 520 ft/lb torque, that's supercar worrying territory and I'm sure I don't need to tell you how much you would need to spend on a S3 to get it near those numbers.

They're the same chassis and share many parts but they're an altogether different animal, believe me.

Given the new RS3 is expected to be somewhere not far off £50k by the time you add options I'd say a mint low mileage well specced 8P RS3 at around £30k represents excellent value for money in comparison, they also should continue to hold their value very well due to the relatively small numbers made and the high price point of the replacement will keep them out of reach for many for a considerable time to come.

I'd go drive one and see what you think, if you like it then bide your time and one will pop up with all the options you want, it's a buyers market.

Reactions: lenny151, DriverN00B and Marshy
Look just because you skanked our gang you can't come on here with the grass is greener on the other side lol lol!!!

Very in depth review! But sorry mate has no affect on me as I would only buy a 3dr anyway :arco:

Least your happy mate :)

Reactions: Sayam, RedDejavu and Muzza80
Haha :)

I should add, I loved my S3, really did but I love my RS3 more :)

I'm so undecided! One minute no the next yes
It may take a test drive to decide once and for all.

Ask the same question on the RS3 section and you will get a different response

Reactions: XFi
I've driven an RS3, handling was terrible compared to my 3dr S3.. Interior was the exact same as my S3 so I don't see it as having very different styling other than the front bumper area, The RS3 was slaughtered for it's handling, If you're gonna spend 30k then go for something that would wipe the floor with the RS3 like a GTR for that price

My 2 cents

I've driven an RS3, handling was terrible compared to my 3dr S3.. Interior was the exact same as my S3 so I don't see it as having very different styling other than the front bumper area, The RS3 was slaughtered for it's handling, If you're gonna spend 30k then go for something that would wipe the floor with the RS3 like a GTR for that price

My 2 cents

I see the RS3 as being a bit limited if you want more from it,as the serious tuning options are either non-existent or very expensive.

GTR.....that has a lot going for it,and I have to admit I did take a look a little while back,but there's the size and weight,and that came down to personal preferences,but it is a real achievement.

They are a lot of money for the same platform car but here's something about them that says "buy me"
I think it's the thought of that 2.5 turbo

They are a lot of money for the same platform car but here's something about them that says "buy me"
I think it's the thought of that 2.5 turbo

I do like the 5 cylinder 2.5,but it's getting power from the thing that's the problem.

The TT-RS kit isn't seemingly compatible with the RS3,and that leaves various hybrid turbos if you choose to go down that route.

If you want to keep the car standard or lightly modified,then fine,but it seems that big power is going to pass the RS3 by.

Rs3 all day if u have the money

If you're happy with it's limits,and the handling issues.....

For that money,a TT-RS would offer more potential,but less family friendly.

i drove a tt-rs and wasnt that impressed, I know it was standard but felt nose heavy with different delivery that I liked around town but it didnt like to be red lined :). My stage 2+ will happily reach 7k rpm with no problem which is fun but not much in it below 2.5k. RS3 is somewhat opposite due to its nature. Now you can get tte420 turbo that gives solid 400+ and better power/weight ratio than rs3 stage 1/2 with its 1600kg kerbweight I simply could not accept that. Its nearly 150kg more than what my car weights thats like having 2 passengers in the back seats :D. No thank you, I'd rather wait and get the new rs3 that comes out in 2015.

Reactions: S3Alex
I have had the same thoughts tbh. I have basically discounted it as I don't believe it is £10,000 better than my current S3 sportback.

For 30k I'd be looking at C63's

For RS3 money, you could pick up a supercharged S4 with much money to spare on mods. Comfy car, boatloads of power and some tuning potential. Not to everyone's taste, but that was the route I was going to take before coming to my senses and getting a more sensible S3 :) Don't regret the choice for a bit and will likely get the S4 as my next car in a few years.

Thanks for all your input.
I'm sticking with my S3 I think, sensible head says I've modded it to exactly how I want it and happy so I'll just need to get past this phase.
I'd probably question why I spent so much on a RS3 after a few months.

Thanks for all your input.
I'm sticking with my S3 I think, sensible head says I've modded it to exactly how I want it and happy so I'll just need to get past this phase.
I'd probably question why I spent so much on a RS3 after a few months.

When you reach that stage,just spend more on the S3,and you'll feel better.

Reactions: RedDejavu
Im guessing having been there, in both, my choice is clear.

I had 12 years across 3 x S3's.

2 x modded 8L's
1 x standard 8P Black Edition.

I used the latter as a stepping stone upto the RS3 having moved it on with only 12k mikes on the clock in mint condition, and totally standard, with fash.

I got bored with modifying cars to get them to go quicker, the tedious insurance renewals, and also modified running costs.( Porsche brakes were a money pit)
I also got bored with the agricultural 4 cylinder engine noise. While the S3 wasn't slouch, it just didn't have the voice to match, and i have never desired an aftermarket exhaust.

I was initially reluctant to go Sportback, and at 6ft 3 , a three door is definitely easier to get out of, but even more reluctant to go s-tronic from my old favourite manual.

I say old favourite, as having recently been on a Audi Sport Showcase day, and driven S1, S3 , RSQ3, RS4, and RS6 ( wow) all S-tronic
I hated the R8 and its awful manual box.

I realise, I miss the S-tronic more after a couple of months than years in manuals.

I am converted. The performance is superb, the engine note addictive, and the S-tronic has made the car. I'm happy with the interior, and prefer it to the 8V.

I bought the best, lowest mileage example I could get, in my exact spec, with balance of 5 year warranty, and 3 yr maintenance packages with only 3600 miles on the clock at purchase. I'd practically bought it before it was out of the showroom.

I have never regretted changing from my S3.

Would I do it again?

YES!

Last edited:
Reactions: 45bvtc, S3Alex and Marshy
I have never regretted changing from my S3.

Would I do it again?

YES!

You're clearly very happy with it,and as you say,fed up with the modding bug,so you've got a good car,and a nice fruity exhaust note into the bargain.

My problem is that I haven't shaken the bug yet,and don't seem likely to be cured any time soon!

I must admit I enjoyed the cheap running in the last S3 and while tempted to mod, was not willing to remap it, as my tuner advised the 8P manual clutch would not cope like the 8L did, and I should budget a clutch if I remapped it. I just wasn't willing to put a clutch in such a low mileage car.

With the RS, the standard performance, retaining warranty and fact you have to physically remove and split / open up the ECU on the bench to unlock it, all leaving tell tayle tamper marks before a conventional remap has helped control the modding urge.