S3 to get 7 speed S-Tronic

Interesting, not for me though I'm afraid, kind of defeats the object of having a performance car. Not much skill in just sticking your boot to the floor, although I suppose it has its benefits.

Mark

I had the DSG in both my R32 and GTI, and once used to it, and the fact round town, it would drop into 1st sometimes......I absolutley loved it, and if my family wasn't getting bigger (2 kids at present, 3 by next year) Id have a Sportback S3 with DSG. I love the way DSG works, for me best of both worlds, auto when needed, and ultra quick paddle shift when fun is required.

However, not all bad news as Im going to get a RS4 next year, just a shame no DSG available, oh well Im sure Id get over it

.However, not all bad news as Im going to get a RS4 next year,

Nice !! Tempted myself, fuel puts me off though and are we not going into £1000 road tax bracket in the near future for the RS4 and the like. Am I correct in thinking you would miss out on the higher tax if you bought a pre March 06 one ???

Mark

Yes you are right on that one, however I will want at least a years manufacturers warranty left. How much is an extended audi warranty?

Fuel on my S3 is averaging at 27 ish over 3000 miles, however thats only because Ive done a few long distance trips, so most of the time hovering around 22ish. I cant believe Ive only has my S3 for about 1 1/2 months and already Im thinking of the next - The longest Ive owned a car in the last 5 years is about 7 months, and that was my 335D!!!

Seems to me that a lot of people on here get bored of the S3 quite easily. I purposely didn't go for an S3 due to a couple of things...1. The cost of running it at the moment and 2... I just think there's only so much you can get out of the 8P configuration. You can only squeeze so much out of a chassis and general set-up before you've exhausted it and it gets predictable. I think by the time you've finished adding your extras the car is just a bit over-priced for a small family sized hatch. For that price i'd be looking at a lightly used A5 or beamer coupe. I just don't see what i'd get from the S3 in my daily driving that my 2.0TFSI quattro doesn't provide already except the extra bling factor.

Before i get an avalanche of angry comments.... I love the S3, yes i have driven one but when you're getting to over £30K you've got to be looking at full time 4WD and a more impressive, refined engine. As you guys are saying... RS4 is the wise step up from the S3 really.

Ha ha - In the last two years Ive had a new Golf GTI DSG, MKV R32 DSG, new BMW 335D Msport and now the S3( all of them mapped etc), Im not bored of it, I love it, its super fast, roadholding is amazing etc etc, but there is always something better........I run a large independant garage, so live around cars, and dont keep any very long, I think I could own anything and get bored of it quickly!!!!!

however I will want at least a years manufacturers warranty left. How much is an extended audi warranty?

Not sure how much the warranty is. But to avoid the 1k tax I think you need a car that is registered before 23/3/06, so be careful. My father in law bought a Volvo V70 (06 plate),car was in band G, lucky sod got off with the dearer tax as it was registered on 1/3/06.

Mark

I don't really think people get " bored " of the speed/drive as such , i think some people just get " bored " of everything quickly , phones , TV, Hifi's , ect , coupled with the fact that they can afford to upgrade and take the hit on the car there trading in means they can swap cars offten!

p

They must have beefed the gearbox up a bit then, as the 7 speed DSG/s-stronic/wotever on the Golf is only good for around 170PS...

They must have beefed the gearbox up a bit then, as the 7 speed DSG/s-stronic/wotever on the Golf is only good for around 170PS...

Probably about the same amount of torque as the S3 though, and thats what matters with these DSG's

I know what you guys are saying and as a non S3 owner i won't argue! Just my 10 cents.
On the subject of the 7 speed box... I think it's a bit un-necessary in a car of that size. I'd expect to see a box like that in an S8 or a big mercedes AMG, not a 'hot hatch'. I don't want a car becoming TOO refined or it becomes a detached driving experience

Well if my S3 torque figures are anything to go by it's got to be able to handle 300lbft as Std! :)

p

The A3 def needs a 7th gear or even better a longer 6th, I always find myself wanting to change up to a higher gear on the motorway when I am already in 6th.

I run a large independant garage, so live around cars, and dont keep any very long, I think I could own anything and get bored of it quickly!!!!!

lamborghini gallardo coupe

hard to get bored of that

What a load of marketing ********.
No way does a car need a 7 speed box (even 6 is debatable, for that matter)
Only engines with narrow power bands need loads of gears.
Does an S3 have a narrow power band?
I'm guessing not...
Motorbikes tend to have more gears than cars, because of their lack of torque, but even then there's only one bike on the market with a 7 speed box.
And that's because it's a 125, with a powerband the width of the **** on a chocolate mouse.

Honestly, it's like the amplifier bit out of Spinal Tap..
"this one goes to eleven"
"what benefit does that give over ten, then"
".............................well.....it's one louder....."

I'm not having a specific pop at Audi, BTW.
I'd laugh at any manufacturer offering a seven speed box.

I'm not having a specific pop at Audi, BTW.
I'd laugh at any manufacturer offering a seven speed box.

Don't Lexus boast about an 8 speed box on their new IS-F? That does seem a bit unneccesary.

The manufacturers' argument may be that given the faster shift times offered by the new gearboxes there's less of a downside around delays when changing gears so you can always be in the right section of the powerband, or in an overdrive gear at 2000rpm when you're cruising.

mates Merc had a 7 speed box, was very very very odd to drive in it, it seemed to be contantly changing gear, very surreal and pointless IMO

so you can always be in the right section of the powerband,

That's my point though.
Most car engines don't have a 'powerband'.
They have flat torque curves and nice progressive power curves.
They spend a fortune making sure of this.
So absolutely no need for multiple gears, apart from showing off, or impressing numpties in showrooms.:tocktock:

I don't really think people get " bored " of the speed/drive as such , i think some people just get " bored " of everything quickly , phones , TV, Hifi's , ect , coupled with the fact that they can afford to upgrade and take the hit on the car there trading in means they can swap cars offten!

p

Funny enough... I always seem to keep my mobile, etc, etc for ages... it is this particular car that I am a bit bored with it... But it as become fun again, maybe because front tires are bald? hahah

Due to road tax and lots of mileage I might go for a 330D Coupe next year... hardly exciting but more sensible...

Pedro

As much as i think it's a load of rubbish the only justification for a 7 or even 8 speed auto box is to constantly keep the car at optimum revs to respond to its full potential when needed.
I personally find the 1st gear on mine a bit too short. I'm quite sure you could get rid of it, move the gearbox around a bit and quite easily live with 5 gears.

quite easily live with 5 gears.

I'm living with 5 gears, even though my car has 6...
It's my first manual six speeder (DSG before) so I don't find changing into 6th a natural act at all.

I'm living with 5 gears, even though my car has 6...
It's my first manual six speeder (DSG before) so I don't find changing into 6th a natural act at all.

But using 6th saves you fuel! I try to get into 6th by 30mph. I was looking at the DIS the other day, cruise control on, 30mph, 6th gear, 50mpg. Same test, same road 5th gear 45mpg.

I guess S3 gear ratios are a bit different to a diesels as 6th at 30mph wouldn't be happening in my car. Doesn't feel settled in 6th until at least 45mph

But using 6th saves you fuel! I try to get into 6th by 30mph. I was looking at the DIS the other day, cruise control on, 30mph, 6th gear, 50mpg. Same test, same road 5th gear 45mpg.

My car isn't comfy at 30mph in 4th, never mind 6th.

I never...ever use 6th unless i'm on a by-pass or motorway. If you've got an S3, 2.0TFSI or 3.2 V6 you're totally defeating the point of the car if you pootle everywhere in 6th gear! If you were THAT bothered about economy you'd have a diesel anyway.
I don't have any major issues with the 6 speed manual on my quattro but sometimes the gears do seem a little short under harder acceleration i.e. run out of breath a little too quickly before a change is required....Maybe it's just me!

Paul.

Not a big fan of the gear ratios on the S3, 1st and 6th are far too short. I don't bother accelerating in 1st (accept for traffic light GP! ;)), the second the wheels are rolling I just change to 2nd or 3rd. And I always go to change up on the motorway when I'm in 6th!

2nd, 3rd and 4th are really nice though, just enough time in gear to take advantage of the S3's awesome torque :thumbsup:

I never...ever use 6th unless i'm on a by-pass or motorway. If you've got an S3, 2.0TFSI or 3.2 V6 you're totally defeating the point of the car if you pootle everywhere in 6th gear! If you were THAT bothered about economy you'd have a diesel anyway.

Thats stupid! so you recon if you have a fast car you should thrash it everywhere!?

Fair enough, but at other speeds it will save you £££

Once I get up to around a minimum of 80mph, undoubtedly.
Under that, 6th gear means larger throttle movements than 5th to gain any acceleration, so I would venture it's actually worse.
I'm of the opinion that being in the right gear is better for economy than trying to get into top at every opportunity.

I don't have any major issues with the 6 speed manual on my quattro but sometimes the gears do seem a little short under harder acceleration i.e. run out of breath a little too quickly before a change is required....Maybe it's just me!

Paul.

I never noticed this post. I agree with siu00adg, that is stupid. NOT being worried about economy is stupid. If I'm going down a 30 mph road at a constant speed then what is the point of staying in a lower gear? You're just wasting fuel and running the engine high excessively. If I have an opportunity to go faster 6th gear can still pull quite well and if I want to go faster still I can change down quite easily!

Once I get up to around a minimum of 80mph, undoubtedly.
Under that, 6th gear means larger throttle movements than 5th to gain any acceleration, so I would venture it's actually worse.
I'm of the opinion that being in the right gear is better for economy than trying to get into top at every opportunity.

About 57mph in top gear on most cars is the most economical speed. Yes you're right the extra throttle movements will use more fuel at certain speeds but I'm just talking about constant speeds. Constant speeds at anything above about 50mph is FAR more economical in top gear.

But using 6th saves you fuel! I try to get into 6th by 30mph. .

That is so bad for the car, worse than redlining it all the time. Engine will not be running smoothly,labouring in fact, putting all sorts of stresses and strains on the engine and drivetrain.
It even tells you in the manual ''you should avoid driving with the engine speed to low,change down to a lower gear when the engine no longer runs smoothly''. My car just runs smoothly in 4th at 30mph, just.

Mark

That is so bad for the car, worse than redlining it all the time. Engine will not be running smoothly,labouring in fact, putting all sorts of stresses and strains on the engine and drivetrain.
It even tells you in the manual ''you should avoid driving with the engine speed to low,change down to a lower gear when the engine no longer runs smoothly''. My car just runs smoothly in 4th at 30mph, just.

Mark

I disagree. My car runs perfectly well at those speeds. It's sitting above 1000rpm and is not labouring whatsoever. I were going on undulating ground or straight up a hill then yes the engine would struggle but on nice smooth ground it's not a problem. If the engine were labouring you'd notice the fuel economy go down as when labouring the engine feeds extra fuel into the cylinders.

I disagree. My car runs perfectly well at those speeds. It's sitting above 1000rpm and is not labouring whatsoever. I were going on undulating ground or straight up a hill then yes the engine would struggle but on nice smooth ground it's not a problem. If the engine were labouring you'd notice the fuel economy go down as when labouring the engine feeds extra fuel into the cylinders.

:asskicking: Your car will not pull away smoothly in 6th at 30mph, therfore engine speed is to low.

Don't believe what the DIS tells you all the time.

Mark

Thats stupid! so you recon if you have a fast car you should thrash it everywhere!?

Yeah! :scared2:

Mark

I agree with labouring the engaine 4th is spot on for -30mph round town , i never go near 5th and 6th unless i'm on a long D/C or M/W.

p

I use 6th gear lots of time but I never run the engine under 1500rpm... it puts too much pressure on the conrods... so 6th gear for me is only after 30mph

Pedro