S3 to B7 RS4

XFi

In need of a V8.
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm seriously thinking of moving from my S3 8P3 to a RS4 and it appears to be quite a common move. I'm a little bored of small turbo'd engines with little character. Although fast I miss the NA noise, throttle response and I want a big V8 while I can!

I'm OK with the running costs and they don't appear to be unreliable with most DRC systems having been replaced and the carbon built up.

One thing I am a little unsure about is if it's actually going to be any faster than what I have at the moment. Also a tiny step back in technology but I can live with that.

So people did you have the same concerns as me and for those that have moved was it worth it?

Depending on how tuned your S3 is, the performance is anywhere between slightly faster and night and day. The whole experience of an RS4 makes the change more than worth it.

Also, they're the same generation of car so there's no step back in technology beyond the RNS-E being the mk1 version, which you can easily upgrade to if it's that big a problem.

Last edited:
its currently at stage 2, replacing the clutch has stopped me from going to 2+ as I have all the hardware. Although mines an 8P3 its an early one so it has the RNSE mk1.

Its either an RS4 or an E92 M3 but I will be test driving both to see which one I prefer.

Be prepared for sub 15 mpg.

If you have mk1 RNSE in your 8P3 it must have been retrofitted as they are mk2 from the factory.

Performance wise well it's completely different power delivery, on paper with your current spec S3, not a lot in it.

The MK2 RNSE came in 2010 and mines a 2009 8P3, it's definitely not retrofitted!

MPG doesn't bother me as I no longer drive to work anymore. I currently only average 18mpg and fuel prices are going down so perfect opportunity :) won't be for a few months yet as I'm selling parts from mime at the moment.

Im in the same position and looking at few as we speak. Was looking at an RS3 but alot of money still in those and as you said the price of fuel is rapidly dropping so I think now is the time to get something a little bigger....has to be an avant for me though. Seen a beautiful Imola Yellow one with really low mileage so see what happens

My average is ~18mpg overall, and the supercharged one is actually about the same (though haven't had a chance to cane it much).

Im in the same position and looking at few as we speak. Was looking at an RS3 but alot of money still in those and as you said the price of fuel is rapidly dropping so I think now is the time to get something a little bigger....has to be an avant for me though. Seen a beautiful Imola Yellow one with really low mileage so see what happens

I looked at manual TTRS' as they are coming down in price but they aren't really practical size wise. I'm looking into E92 M3's more than RS4's now but I'm going to test drive both and see what I like. I'd really like an E92 M3 with DCT but i have heard that the RS4's manual box is considered to be great also.

The M3 is faster and far better on track which I do intended to go on a few track days like I have done in the S3. I know the RS4 is no slouch but for track use it's quite big and heavy. The S3 is small enough to have a bit of fun by chucking it round.

RS3's just aren't good value for money being 30k on a chassis that is now 10 years old and the interior that is just as old. As much as I like that five cylinder turbo engine it just isn't great value.