S3 to 2.0tdi Sportsback

JasonM

Reaction score
Still some time off though looks like the next logical step next march, with my S3 being a company car, tax is getting plain nasty so its diesels for me.

Anyone gone this route, I've drove the three door sport diesel variant & was very impressed with the midrange & the handling, though I guess I'm going to miss the get up & go of the S3 (& the traction).

Bravepilot, you sound like you're almost suggesting that the 2.0tdi will keep up with the 3.2 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Thanks for the fb chaps I've driven the 3 door 2.0tdi & thought 30-70 performance was similar to my S3.

As its a company car it's diesel's all the way plus I do many motorway miles my S3 is over 90K miles (hard miles) & will be 3 years old when it goes back next March added miles per tank a real bonus.

I have to make up my mind by xmas though sportsback looks like a sure thing proably in dolphin grey with ali roof rail, bose, xenons in the sport guise.

It will......as long as the 3.2 doesn't change down a cog.

I've managed to keep up with a 3.2 TT and a 3.0 Z4 before, accelerating from 40 to 90mph in 4/5th. They did seem to be trying, but can't say for sure.

[ QUOTE ]
Karcsi said:
Almost 600 miles on a tank! Did 585 miles last week on a single tank (bar 1.5 litres left). I don't exactly loiter when driving either.

[/ QUOTE ]
We collected our Sportback 2.0TDI on Saturday, and with 50 miles on the clock the fuel needle has only just started to move away from the 1/1 marker. Amazing - that's all short runs too.

karcsi you have seen the 0-62mph on the 3.2 vs 2.0tdi? (6.4sec to 9.2sec)

I know 0-62 isnt everything, but thats not an insignificant margin.

No doubt, from a standing start, the 3.2 will eat the TDI. But in range between 40 and 100mph, I doubt there is all that much in it.

Whatcar? test for the 2.0 TDI

30-70mph 9.9
30-50mph in 3rd/4th/5th gears 3.7/5.3/10
50-70mph in 3rd/4th/5th gears 5.5/5.7/6.9

I expect the 30-70 figure to be much lower for the 3.2. But for the rest, not all that different. I couldn't find similar info on the 3.2 (TT or A3).

Again, gear-to-gear comparision. 3,2 can use 2nd with 30-50mph. Anyway, most of the European comparisions use km/h and other limits (since 70mph = 112km/h.. it's usually 90-120km/h for example, instead of 50-70mph = 80-112km/h).

And those results aren't compareable. Anyway, with 3rd gear even 2,0FSI can compete with 2,0TDI in those results (and could use 2nd with 30-50), so I'd say 3,2 will be a lot faster, just use low-gear.

- Yak

It defo would be interesting to make a real world comparison. When I'm next in Wales...

Yak, true. But in the real world I would use 3rd because I would not be stopping at 50mph!

[ QUOTE ]
MateloT said:
Karsci, come to Wales, we'll have a little race /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

If there is to be a race... I'd like to know the results! Sure 0 - 62 is not Grande Turismo... but I bet on the straight the TDi keeps up with the 3.2 Quattro, perhaps not the TT, but you'd have to go like for like... the TT is far more aerodynamic for a start.

Word of warning about DSG though... I've seen some other people on this site having difficulty with it, besides, where is the fun unless your changing the gears yourself. That's real competition.

I'm surprised what has been said about the wheel spinning, I have not managed it yet, and I'm not generally very soft with my accelerator /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile_smoking.gif

performance wise the A3 3.2 + TT 3.2 are very similar, having raced with one on the M48 recently neither of us had any kind of advantage. I've also had a full out race with a TTC 225 that, accelerating from 40-90 we were fairly level, 90+ he lost it.

IMO the DSG is the mutts nutts, the beauty of it is you ARE changing the gears yourself, without the crappy hassle of moving a stick/farting around with clutches. The DSG gives you a very high level of constant power right throughout.

I have the DSG and love it, would never buy another manual again.

when moving diesels are quick dont be fooled
I am sure they're wont be much much difference from the 3.2 and the 2.0 TDI

check this :
http://www.zeperfs.com/duel.php?IdA=1148&IdB=1138

figures are for 80-120kph :
in 4th :
3.2 - 6.3s / 2.0 TDI - 7.0s
in 5th :
3.2 - 8s / 2.0 TDI - 8.7s
in 6th :
3.2 - 11.9s / 2.0 TDI - 11.4s

[ QUOTE ]
BravePilot said:

You're right of course... but I see you are a 3.2 driver... and you must feel the kick at the lights which you wouldn't be able to get from a diesel?

[/ QUOTE ]
Yep you can feel it but not like any turbo. It is very smooth and you dont feel the accelration that much even though you do accelerate very quickly /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif
but I am always wary of diesels (not on a traffic light though)

[ QUOTE ]
BravePilot said:
Have you got 18" on an A3? If so, what's the ride like, I thought about it, but consider it might be a bit hard when combined with lowered suspension?

[/ QUOTE ]
yep 18'' with sport suspension. for ride I can't really compare as I did not drive any other audi except the S3 but it is not as harsh as my previous Astra 2.0l turbo which was very harsh. I dont know the effect with lowered suspension but I would think that it would be harsher. Tyre pressure would surely affect it even more