S3 test drive

steve184

Reaction score
...didn't really set my life on fire if i'm honest. Didn't feel like 260-odd bhp, but then what does 260-odd bhp feel like???

driven normally (ie not caning it constantly) - it felt no quicker than my 170tdi s-tronic - prob down to identical torque figures i guess

I got back in mine afterwards - and it just felt just as good if not nicer! (certainly in better condition than the demo car on an 08)

Sorry S3 lovers/owners...

never driven either but i find that odd. I have just replaced my 125bhp 1998 A3 with a 2003 2.0 FSi that has 150bhp and i can feel the difference of only 25bhp on what will be a heavier car.

The thing with the 170 TDi is that you get a massive surge of power low down and then it runs out of breath higher up the rev range.
In the S3, there isn't really a massive kick in the back, it's all pretty progressive, so it doesn't quite 'feel' that quick.
My old S3 was mapped and came on boost very shrply, felt REALLY quick. Test drove the S3 and after the first drive I was left scatching my head like you are, it wasn't until I watched the speedo that I saw how quickly it actually was......

Or may be you drove a dudd!!!

Against a 170tdi you will have too drive the S3 harder to feel the extra power.

Pootling around day to day there won't be much difference , but as soon as play time comes it will be bye bye tdi.

The tdi will start running out of puff at 4-5k revs , the S3 will keep on pulling to 7k.

p

oh yeh don't get me wrong - its obviously going to be faster outright - it has more revs to give - but just commenting if you drove both normally up to 3500rpm there is no difference in performance, if anything the tdi is quicker, until you screw it yes then the tdi is bye bye

oh yeh don't get me wrong - its obviously going to be faster outright - it has more revs to give - but just commenting if you drove both normally up to 3500rpm there is no difference in performance, if anything the tdi is quicker, until you screw it yes then the tdi is bye bye
But thats the beauty of the s3 you can just pootle along getting decent fuel economy or insted of short shifting at 3500rpm you can caine it and it becomes pretty damn fast.
im sure you could say the same about alot of performance cars up to 3500rpm too, if your a pootler stick to a diesel.

Paul.

...didn't really set my life on fire if i'm honest....
I really enjoyed the one that I had out - more than I thought I would if I'm being honest.

I got back in mine afterwards - and it just felt just as good if not nicer! (certainly in better condition than the demo car on an 08)

I had the same feeling when I got back into my own car after 5 days in the S3. My own car just felt really comfortable (like an old shoe - if that is the proper analogy) and I didn't miss the S3 too much. The one I had out was in **** too. It seems the dealers don't treat their S3 demos with too much respect. It is almost as if they are convinced that somebody will buy it for the power of the engine regardless of the condition that it is in. The dealer I got the car from seemed somewhat shocked when I told him I wasn't interested at the price he was offering.

Most people seem to think a performance car should blow your socks off the second you touch the accelerator...It's really not the case.
My uncles's Porsche 997 C4S feels absolutely no faster than my A3 about town (seriously). Feels like a very tame, predictable car but as soon as you start driving it aggressively and planting the right foot.... Christ almighty. Totally different animal on the open road. I had a drive in the new M3 last week which is exactly the same. Around town you can't see what the fuss is about, totally underwhelming. But then open it up and it's gobsmacking.
The same i'm sure applies to the S3.

My point is, most modern performance cars are supposed to be as controllable as a fiat about town. The power is only there for when it's needed. I think if you got out on the open road, getting up and down the revs properly.... You'd find the S3 put the 170 TDI to shame.

Most people seem to think a performance car should blow your socks off the second you touch the accelerator...It's really not the case.
My uncles's Porsche 997 C4S feels absolutely no faster than my A3 about town (seriously). Feels like a very tame, predictable car but as soon as you start driving it aggressively and planting the right foot.... Christ almighty. Totally different animal on the open road. I had a drive in the new M3 last week which is exactly the same. Around town you can't see what the fuss is about, totally underwhelming. But then open it up and it's gobsmacking.
The same i'm sure applies to the S3.

My point is, most modern performance cars are supposed to be as controllable as a fiat about town. The power is only there for when it's needed. I think if you got out on the open road, getting up and down the revs properly.... You'd find the S3 put the 170 TDI to shame.

Agree.
Everyday useable performance cars should/do bely their true abilities when `pottering` about.
This is actually a `strength` and trump card.
2-4-1 you could say.

This is why aftermarket remaps made cars `feel` much more aggressive, as the maps are developed with performance in mind.
Where as manufacturers tune the car as more of ans all-rounder.

cheers
paul

well as i have said already - caning it - yes of course it will be miles faster, pootling about its no different - perhaps i've simply convinced myself that I don't need that extra top-end power

why buy an s3 to pootle around ? the s3 is better looking than a 170tdi and has better seats etc.