S3 temperature gauge misbehaving

its_neil

Reaction score
Hey guys,

had my s3 a week now and noticed the temperature gauge seems to have a mind of it's own. Some trips it won't go above 70, some it will sit at 90 and others it will creep up to 110, trigger the warning then go back and sit at 90.

Now, this happened on my last car and it turned out to be a cracked block :/ so of course when I saw the needle creep up my heart sank. The car is going into Audi on weds anyway for a cambelt and water pump changed - would it be worth getting the thermostat done too while it's in bits? Should this clear up any issues or am I looking at a knackered block / head gasket? :(

cheers lads

Cheers, I have to drive ten miles home tonight so I'll keep an eye on it. What are the chances of expensive damage?

If you have to drive it, then drive it, but keep it to a minimum.

Watch that temp gauge like a hawk. If she gets to hot, then turn it off and allow to cool before continuing.

I expect you'll be fine. Try to drive as little as possible until you are happy that the water pump is good. :icon_thumright:

Home safe now, had to pull over a couple of times but she didn't go over 100 degrees.

Aside from thermostat or pump, what else could cause this? perhaps a dodgy temp sender?

When does it overheat? Sitting in traffic or when moving?

I've found nearly all overheating issues on the 1.8T to be related to the ****** water pumps VAG insist on fitting. Your thermostat could also be dodgy if your temperature gauge is playing up. It's only a cheap part so get that changed too, and I'm pretty certain your issues will disappear. If it's an issue with the actual block I'll eat my hat.

^^^ can I watch? lol.

I agree though. New water pump. New thermo. Then see what you've got. Don't change the CTS until you've changed the stat if you're spending out money anyway, it might be fine and not need replacing at all!