S3 take off :)

paddy

Reaction score
Well having smoked around in the S3 for a month i am getting used to it and its strange ways after the superb 3.2......but.!!!!!
Twice now i have nearly totalled it trying to nip out in traffic at a roundabout...Along comes a gap, you floor it and the thing crawls out into the traffic for a second or two, frightening me and everyone else to death , you sit there feeling stupid while everything emergency stops around you , fist shake , V signs exchanged ...then it picks up and off we go.
Is there anything that can be done to make it drive...eh...normally :)
Yesterday i had to shoot home round the side streets to beat the Traffic ( left something on the stove ) !!! real panic dash and i would have killed to have the 3.2 back !! The S3 just bogs down at every junction and cross roads when you want to go quick.
Its ok with normal driving but the 3.2 will throw you back in the seat if you floor it from 750 rpm and being DSG you just cant get the revs up on the S3 so everytime you pull up and pull away you have lost all the go.

Maybe i need to do launch control at junctions..lol

You were in sports mode weren't you? LOL ;)
I know what you mean though. Have only had mine since Thursday but I have experienced that lovely "lag" that you can get from the off.
I'm still loving it though, superb machines.

stupid thing was i was in the dentists chair and i just dawned on me..........i left a saucepan of rice boiling on the Hob :scared2:

(i got home turned it off, it was just going dry and back to the dentist in less than 15 minutes. :)

stupid thing was i was in the dentists chair and i just dawned on me..........i left a saucepan of rice boiling on the Hob :scared2:

(i got home turned it off, it was just going dry and back to the dentist in less than 15 minutes. :)

Sport mode would do it. Mine's like a diferent car in "S"

I had the same problem with the DSG in the TDI 170

Went back to a manual and never looked back ( including after pulling out to see someone flying up my **** lol )

Thing is Paddy the 3.2 and DSG is a match made in heaven as it has the low down torque to pull it off, I'm not sure the DSG'd S3 ever will compete with it in that respect.
I do miss the V6, but not as much as I thought I would and certainly wouldn't go back now. Nearly stalled it a few times already, especially after long runs on the motorway, but now I'm used to the manual again, it certainly allows for more spirited driving!

I drove my 3.2 with dsg today first time and I just love it. Switching from manual volvo and its like being in different world;) can anyone borrow their s3 for a weekend to compare?;)

I always thought having ESP switched off made it way less hesitant in this respect?

I know when I've not had it off, I've been caught pulling into roundabouts and having no power, although I think thats probably due to the dodgy DSG in my last 8P. The S3 seems a lot snappier when driven in D, with ESP turned off (which it is most of the time now).

Thing is Paddy the 3.2 and DSG is a match made in heaven as it has the low down torque to pull it off, I'm not sure the DSG'd S3 ever will compete with it in that respect.
I do miss the V6, but not as much as I thought I would and certainly wouldn't go back now. Nearly stalled it a few times already, especially after long runs on the motorway, but now I'm used to the manual again, it certainly allows for more spirited driving!

The DSG S3 is even better than the 3.2 once rolling Ju. It holds the gears much longer and dosnt kick down so easily but on the paddles its a hoot especially now i have mapped it. Round the A and B roads here its faster than you can actually use. Its just this bogging down off the line. Maybe i need to play around with the map a bit via the SPS.

I can only assume that you were in D mode at the time? I have encountered this sort of laggy behaviour in D mode once or twice (although no more than a second's delay), and it occurs when the gearbox decides to switch down 2 or more gears, and only 1 gear up or down is preselected. This is why I drive in manual mode 95% of the time...

Also there are reports that a remap can adversely affect DSG gear changes? When I was told this I thought "why would that make any difference?" as there's no loss of acceleration on gear changes, but I could see it being a potential issue when driving in D/S modes and suddenly pressing full throttle.

I've tried the ESP on/off thing several times and have failed to notice any difference whatsoever...so I always leave it on.

I am talking about pulling away from a stop. i cant see why sport would make any odds to be honest. Once moving i use the paddles anyway.

When I drive my mates Audi A6 avant with DSG it does exactly the same and is annoying as hell... Way we both get around it is by doing a really light tap on and off the Gas really quick and then smack the Gas down hard, this works a treat and gives you the pull away you need!!

May seem a bit of a process but once you get use to it, you'll be smoking.

So are you still suffering lag even after a map? I'm still to have it done to mine, was hoping it would be one of the things it cured.

I wonder if it needs to be twin charged? The k03 isn't quite as laggy on pull-away, but still not as instant as a normally aspirated engine.. Guess it's nearly always a trade off with cars.. That's unless you have a large "v" engine with a turbo (or mivec/VVTLI) unfortunately that's not in the Audi range :)

Do the S3s still have ASR? Its not an option to turn it on and off separate of ESP now on mine (2010) if it does.

If it does indeed have ASR, you want to be turning it off - Just done some reading, and what it seems to do is both detect wheel slippage in motion, as well as assess how much throttle you are lumping on at take-off, and rein it back if it thinks its going to slip as a result - Think this may be why I've found it works better with ESP off.

Also quatro: love the sig pic. Need to get my new S3 BE washed up and get out with the camera ;)

Last edited:
You're not giving it enough throttle, fact. Best way to pull out fast is to floor it (past the kickdown button) and then let the ESP/ASR sort out any slip. If you just go 50-80% throttle you get this lag. Just be a bit braver and it doesn't happen. Once you have done it a few times you will get used to it.

I've never really found this issue with mine,although it has to be said that until you've got enough boost,the car will bog if you're trying to out-run something.

The mapping may be something to look at,but the extra torque,once you've reached it,will more than outweigh the losses incurred by moving from a normally aspirated 3.2L to a turbo 2L,and like you,I've owned both.

One other point....if you're only just coming onto the boost,flooring it will not work well,as you're right at the bottom of the boost and torque.....as someone else has said,use a bit more rpm and throttle and see if that helps.

Reactions: jsws3
....as someone else has said,use a bit more rpm and throttle and see if that helps.

Easy and not a problem in a manual :) Trying to pull away sharpish from the lights in a DSG S3 just aint going to happen like a 3.2......i grant you once the turbo spools up we are "offfff" :)

It happens in my TTS, big lag so stick it in S mode and it feels connected to your right foot, i had a milltek non res cat back fitted at Awesome last week and now notice it holds the revs higher in D as well.

jontymo

I am talking about pulling away from a stop. i cant see why sport would make any odds to be honest. Once moving i use the paddles anyway.

Ah I see...in that case I haven't experienced the same issue. Yeah sport mode shouldn't make any difference to a fast start (unless in launch mode). I can understand that you are missing the low-down torque of the 3.2, and I doubt your remap would have made any noticeable difference to torque when below 2500rpm (certainly not a negative difference anyway).

Also I don't think I've ever needed to use the kickdown in this car...again I fail to see how this could improve a standing start. Am tempted to try it out though :)

Paddy.. I'm thinking of trying the revo dsg map.. And it seems to be the thing that holds a linear pull-away back is the lack of a manual clutch, so the driver has no input as to when the clutch disengages without riding the brake on a dsg. In the torquey non turbo v6 this ain't a problem, but anything with a turbo is going to lag if you can't allow the revs to pick up a little before pull away.. I'd always have to kind of double rev my evo iv to pull away cleanly!

This is my first dsg turbo, all my previous turbo cars have always been manual.. I went out today and, now that I'm looking for it, I did notice the lazy pull away (even with my smaller, slightly less laggy k03)..

Launch control is just a bit too far the other way isn't it? :lmfao:

Anyway, I'm wondering if the dsg map might have any effect on this? It mentions a slightly different torque transfer or something :think:

Last edited:
I to feel this i know my cars not an S3 but so often i drive my friends R32 and that engine feels so lively and responsive. My car apparently has a very broad torque band and its peaky as anything but i suppose the responsiveness of an NA is still untouchable but for straight line speed its a turbo.

Paddy just floor it on the open roads lol

I'm surprised by all this talk of poor pull offs in turbo'd DSG cars. Mine feels quick from the off and I can feel traction being tested pretty much straight away.
I never have any problems from standstill zipping into or through gaps in traffic flow.
But then again I've never driven a big NA engined car to compare mine to, so maybe I just don't know what I'm missing.

I have to say that whilst I like the idea of DSG, whenever I drive it on something like an S3 it just doesn't quite add up for me. I know it's 'better' at gear changing than me, but whilst the clutch holds out the manual is so useable and responsive.

Out of a junction it's just a case of raising revs and then firing it out of junction. Absolutely epic. I though launch was DSG's party piece so I'm a bit confused by this. Isn't it 0.2 quicker to 60?

Last edited:
Launch is fine but not at every roundabout and junction. :) I tried both manual and DSG and once rolling i find the DSG better , in traffic its effortless and if you really want to tramp on then the instantaneous paddle change is superb. ( and great fun ). I wouldnt go back to manual but i would like to fine tune the get away a bit. ;) I suppose as a "retired" biker and small click to change gear on a sequential style box is second nature to me.

Last edited:
I though launch was DSG's party piece so I'm a bit confused by this. Isn't it 0.2 quicker to 60?

It is quicker to 60 than a manual. So I'm guessing that what it possibly loses on initial takeoff it recoups (and then some) on a faster gear change at exactly the right moment(s).

Are S3s really that bad on takeoff with DSG then? Sounds almost dangerous.
You sure you haven't bought a lemon, Padds??? ;)

Launch is fine but not at every roundabout and junction. :) I tried both manual and DSG and once rolling i find the DSG better , in traffic its effortless and if you really want to tramp on then the instantaneous paddle change is superb. ( and great fun ). I wouldnt go back to manual but i would like to fine tune the get away a bit. ;) I suppose as a "retired" biker and small click to change gear on a sequential style box is second nature to me.
:yes: yes paddy!
It is quicker to 60 than a manual. So I'm guessing that what it possibly loses on initial takeoff it recoups (and then some) on a faster gear change at exactly the right moment(s).

Are S3s really that bad on takeoff with DSG then? Sounds almost dangerous.
You sure you haven't bought a lemon, Padds??? ;)
You have got the k03 though ads... Less lag ya?

thats why Manual < DSG!

;)

You have got the k03 though ads... Less lag ya?

Yep, mine is a k03.
You said you notice a bit of a lazy pull off... I don't think I do in mine. I'm gonna check it out tonight.
But understand this......... if I now notice it does feel lazy then you've ruined my enjoyment of my car. :gun2:

PS: The last time I did notice my car felt a little sluggish I did the ECU reset/20min battery disconnect thing and it seemed to liven things up again, especially on take off. I don't think it was placebo because my traction control light flashed a lot more than it did before.

I though launch was DSG's party piece so I'm a bit confused by this. Isn't it 0.2 quicker to 60?

Its quicker to 60 because launch enables you to raise the revs while stationary so you can spool the turbo up before you launch, you cant get the revs up on an auto any other way while stationary so when you pull away normally you have to wait for the revs to build, to spin the turbo before it will start to pull. thats where a super charger is so much better and why dragsters don't run turbos.

:lmfao: it's so marginal I don't think it will spoil your day, dude... The bigger the turbo, definitely the worse it gets.. As I mentioned earlier, my fq360 was very laggy, but it's just something I've come to accept with turbo'd cars! It doesn't spoil my drive at all though if I'm honest.....

Its quicker to 60 because launch enables you to raise the revs while stationary so you can spool the turbo up before you launch, you cant get the revs up on an auto any other way while stationary so when you pull away normally you have to wait for the revs to build, to spin the turbo before it will start to pull. thats where a super charger is so much better and why dragsters don't run turbos.
Twin charging is the way forward then mate! That is why the lancia s4 creamed the Audi Quattro - which should've been the greatest rally car of all time, but due to the Audi's massive turbo lag (and the lancia being twin charged) it didn't really stand a chance.
Things have come full circle now, with Audi making the 1.4 twin charged lump.. Maybe the new s3 will be twin charged??!:hubbahubba:
The way I look at it, from a bikers point of view Pad, is turbos are like inline 4's and v6's are like v-twins - linear power as opposed to nothing then all at once.. V twin FTW! (says the bloke who can no longer ride his bike and has a turbo'd car - the definition of irony:()

Going back to gear changes, one area where the manual is definitely quicker is 3-point turns lol. Like, coming up to a big queue of traffic and deciding to do an about-turn to go back to the previous junction, the DSG seems to take an AGE to switch between 1st and reverse...it's the only time I ever curse the gearbox, whilst the oncoming traffic is speeding towards me :scared2:

Going back to gear changes, one area where the manual is definitely quicker is 3-point turns lol. Like, coming up to a big queue of traffic and deciding to do an about-turn to go back to the previous junction, the DSG seems to take an AGE to switch between 1st and reverse...it's the only time I ever curse the gearbox, whilst the oncoming traffic is speeding towards me :scared2:
The only disadvantage of that on a manual is that your synchro is gonna be hating you at this point as you change quickly between 1st and reverse, whereas on the dsg it protects itself a little..

This is very true.
And the DSG 3 point turn gets even worse if, for example, you have completed phase one (forward) and phase two (reverse), and then you put it back into 'D' but press the gas before it has engaged.... and then when it does engage you SHOOOOOOT forward and give the person standing on the pavment in front your car a heart attack.

Eeep - Just tried to do a quick jump through a hole in the traffic turning right into my carpark - DSG was all "Nah, you don't want to do that" after rolling forward about .5m - Got to get used to this.