S3 suspension "clacking"?

Y83OLK

Hulk Smash!
Reaction score
Hi everyone.
Thisevening my suspension (i think) on the osf started "clacking" (best descriptive word i can think of) when going over small bumps.
Any ideas as to what it may be?. as i wont have time to check it out for a little while.

Sounds too metalic to be ARb/ Bushes + i uprated them to r32 items a few months ago.
Thought possibly dogbone mount?. or f*cked arm bush?. do/can these clack?

Any help appreciated.
Callum

or engine mount?
To be more exact, it does it going over small curbs/ potholes/ speedbumps.

Not a clue yet Cookstein. Would a duff shocker make a clacky sound?. Its not overly bouncy if thats any help.

Just as a reference point, does anyone have the partnumbers for LCR topmounts + bearings to hand?.
And the correct sized TT solid wishbone bushes for a 2001 s3. Am i correct in thinking 45mm?

Xfi - seems to only be straight ahead... however the sound is similar to that of a a ******** CV joint... but only one "Click"

yep 45mm for your front bushes, rear bushes are all the same IIRC, my moneys on wishbone bushes as mine sounded the same as your describing when they were more than knackered!

as dave said, check your springs too

I checked everything out today, and cnat see anything amiss. Hmm.
The rear arm bushes look a little ropey but i cant get any movement out of them, springs are also ok.

Heared it twice today aswell.

Thinking possibly OS engine mount has worked loose, any ways to check this?

when my front shock broke it made a clacking noise, especially when going over speed bumps any faster than crawling pace

Is there any way of checking the shock without removing it?.
I did some B-roading today and its now gone from a single clack to a "click, clack".. Albeit still intermittant.

This forums making me panic reading some of the horror stories. My minds now thinking:
*Snapped RH engine mount/bolt? - Cant see this easily without stripping off covers.
*Prop coupling??. It sounds more Rh side though.
*Inner CV joint?.

Any advice appreciated. As always.

When I put my coilovers on and had a good root about while it was on the ramps all my bushes were f@@ked and both my back springs were snapped right at the bottom, my car has all the knocks you are talking about.... Need to get all this lot fitted I've had it ages lol
2e1ec466.jpg

I seem to be having the same prob on my A3 mate.Ive fitted brand new coilovers,new wishbones,new top mounts and bearings and i dont have a arb!..its really fecking me off!.sounds like a broken spring doesnt it??..but only happens when going over pot holes etc?..only thing i could maybe put it down to is that i fitted the uprated dog bone mount!..i should of got new bolts to,so ill be getting them soon and see if it still happens :(

I helecoiled both my g/box dogbone threads when i fitted my polybush. So hopefully not that.
May try to scrounge some good shocks off here (*if anyones upgraded and has the originals still /hint)
Then do the topmounts while its all off.