S3 Suspension Advice

Rob C

Audi Owner
Reaction score
Now my S3 has done 115k I can’t help but feel the suspension has seen better days. The rear wheels are more frequently rubbing the arches over bumps and one side at the rear sits slightly low.

I’m looking for something that matches the standard ride height / comfort but will also cope with the rare spirited drive (I don’t do track days).

I don’t want to buy an all singing and dancing coilover kit as that’s probably a bit over kill but don’t want to buy something rubbish.

What are people’s thoughts, is there a happy medium?

Ap's are for fast road use, well liked and recommended on here also comfy.

Made by kw so decent quality and not massively expensive.

Reactions: Rob C
I would go new stock springs with updated bilstein dampers, maybe the ARB If you want a good fast road setup.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I would go new stock springs with updated bilstein dampers, maybe the ARB If you want a good fast road setup.

That sounds interesting, didn't know that was an option.

I was considering coilovers as you then have some form of adjustment where as if you go springs and shocks you are stuck with how it is.

That sounds interesting, didn't know that was an option.

I was considering coilovers as you then have some form of adjustment where as if you go springs and shocks you are stuck with how it is.

The bilsteins will sort the handling out, if you want to adjust the height, rebound etc then coil overs are the answer. The rear height for me is just right on standard springs.

If you were to go down the route mechanic suggested, as the front sits higher then the rear, I'd get Bilstein B8 dampers all round, new top mounts all round, new rear stock springs and the Eibach 30mm front lowering springs.

Ap's are for fast road use, well liked and recommended on here also comfy.

Made by kw so decent quality and not massively expensive.

Do the AP's come with new top mounts? If not, did you buy new OEM top mounts when fitting the AP's and what mileage was you at?

If you were to go down the route mechanic suggested, as the front sits higher then the rear, I'd get Bilstein B8 dampers all round, new top mounts all round, new rear stock springs and the Eibach 30mm front lowering springs.

I forgot to mention I already have Eibach 20mm Pro Lowering Springs on the front so the ride height is just right for me. Top mounts were replaced when the Eibach springs were fitted so they are relatively new. So would just need the B8's and rear springs.

B8's seem a very tempting option as it keeps the ride height I'm happy with and improves handling while hopefully retaining some comfort. Also you don't have the hassle of setting ride height and rebound settings etc as you do with coilovers.

Reactions: mechanic69
Nice well in that case and especially as they're still relatively new, then you're far better off just getting the Bilsetin B8's all round and new rear springs, rather then forking out for coilovers.

Got to say that having gone through kW v3 and Clubsports to Bilstein B16 now, I think the ride in the Bilsteins is excellent and the adjustments are easier by far.

Do the AP's come with new top mounts? If not, did you buy new OEM top mounts when fitting the AP's and what mileage was you at?

No they don't, I didn't for the s3 or my tdi. s3's probably done 10-15k and my tdi probably did 20k on the same top mounts as they came with from the factory. Both cars were on around 50k at time of fitting.

Reactions: HHS3
If you're happy with the ride height then go Bilstein B8 dampers with the fronts shortened to match the springs.

Damian @ DPM Performance

Yeah my front B8s had to go back for shortening to match the eibach shorter springs, they did it free of charge tho.

Reactions: kash_v
No they don't, I didn't for the s3 or my tdi. s3's probably done 10-15k and my tdi probably did 20k on the same top mounts as they came with from the factory. Both cars were on around 50k at time of fitting.

Cool, thanks mate.

Yeah my front B8s had to go back for shortening to match the eibach shorter springs, they did it free of charge tho.

They did it for free! Great service, you can hardly get anything free nowadays.