S3 stolen Lastnight

Gutted for you I also think they have cased the joint before

Those two know your car and house. As said, look back over CCTV footage. They'll pop up.

Reactions: MattSedg and Ollie2014
Those two know your car and house. As said, look back over CCTV footage. They'll pop up.
Totally agree with you Scotty because when this happened to me I found out it was one of my bin men and his mates who did it.They crashed my car within a mile of my home and when I went to court I told the police that I recognised the bin man and we also had a lot of fraud committed towards us as he had taken unshredded documents out of the bin(everything gets shredded now).This happened early 2000's but house is like Fort Knox now and everything gets checked before we go to bed but if they want something they will get it somehow.

Reactions: Stue pot, Scottyg, richinsoton and 1 other person
Hate seeing threads like this ;o(

Really gutted for you.

So sorry to hear about another theft like this. It's an unfortunate world we are in. I wouldn't have an S3 without a garage and I have taken extra security measures with the garage door, the house and the car itself. I am lucky to live in a nice area but it can happen to anyone, anywhere. Hope these scumbags suffer.

Reactions: richinsoton and A3_Rider
Bleh, glad you're ok.

Dunno if showing plate and cctv is a good idea, insurer could argue door wasn't securely locked so no payout...though I'd counter argue they were getting in one way or another.

As mentioned try looking earlier, may be even spend an evening on fast forward for the last 7 days. Think if you had any tradesmen or tradesmen with their "relatives" in the car etc, all suspects.

The guy has a tool in his hand? They were getting that door open one way or another. More about admin with the popo than anything else -.-

I get so angry watching stuff like this.
What kind of person would take someones treasured pride and joy, just utter scum.
This is going to sound crude but I hope those guys get ball cancer or similar, they are making hard working up standing citizens life a misery.

Its the most horrid feeling in the world, I remember when my Ducati got stolen, I had all my gear on walked outside and its not there... your heart just stops and stomoch drops.

People laugh at me for using a steering lock, but honestly it helps alot, 50% of people considering nicking it wont bother as its more work and if they do, it gives me a vital few minutes to introduce them to a Louisville Slugger.

I hope the insurance covers the full amount, if this is your first theft dont be too worried as it really doesnt effect your premium as much as you think.

Reactions: richinsoton
Yep, sorry for you loss op...
I had my rs4 robbed last year - same thing, broke into the house, took my keys etc...
It got found the next day near the docks.
Since then, CCTV & Clifford alarm with the anti hijack option...
I know it doesn't help, hope whatever happens suits you circumstances..
Mike

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Oh, and a stop lock...
If they get through all of that then....

Is that a Bentley Parked opposite? And they chose your s3?
S3 all day.....:whistle2:
Thought I would post a little humour to an otherwise sh*tty experience for the op....(too early??)

Reactions: Soulboy, Ollie2014 and davc
That's so much of a total ******.
They seem to know how to do it all.
I wonder on the effect of CCTV, they knew it was there and the images are of little use.
Sadly no dead lock, no house alarm no disklock made it all too easy. These things are not expensive and act as a deterrent.
I know that if they want it they'll take it but these scumbags would rather take an easy target than risk a difficult one. If it makes them walk on by then these deterrents can help. They'd really rather not cause noise or risk coming upstairs as the courts come down very heavily on aggravated crime. But where you keep your keys is a choice for the individual.

I hope you don't get the car back. But please if you park your pride and joy in a similar position spend a couple of hundred quid making life a little more difficult for opportunist thieves.

Reactions: pburv
Cars like the S3 are unfortunately one of the scumbags cars of choice for committing other crimes. A Bentley would stand out as a getaway car! When I was stopped for speeding last year (cough), the copper told me that the thieves particularly like Audi S3's and Focus ST's.

Oh, and a stop lock...
If they get through all of that then....

Basically anything that makes them think it's better to walk away and look for an easier target (if they are opportunists), even something like this may make them think twice http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/271824796332?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/271824796332?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT
Taken from an old post on here: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ring-clamps-best-way-beat-modern-thieves.html

Reactions: richinsoton and pburv
Nice of them to still put the indicators on when turning at the junction though, good road manners if nothing else :-/ (just trying to lighten the ***** mate, total *****, scumbags) best of luck going forward

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: davc and pburv
Is there a 'Tracker' thread on the forum?
I personally haven't a clue on such devices.I have done a quick search on google and there seems to be a lot available.
Is there one available that doesn't have a charge/subscription?
What do you guys think?:shrug:

I put the link above, although you seem to have to hit it twice to get the page.

No subscription, total cost £11, Pay And Go SIM, just send a text message every three months to keep it active.

I put the link above, although you seem to have to hit it twice to get the page.

No subscription, total cost £11, Pay And Go SIM, just send a text message every three months to keep it active.
Cheers thanks for that..
Maybe the mods on the forum could set something up? ie 'Best Tracker' etc
Just a thought as it seems a few members on here are having their lives turned upside down by the many scumbags in our society ..

Reactions: rasA4
Not really sure about how effective PAYG SIM cards would be to work as a Tracker. Majority of mainstream ones require a subscription. There are also some such as the Trackstar Advance which have the added bonus of an additional immobiliser. The car cannot be started unless you have a key tag on you. Lots of pros and cons about trackers, with a lot of opinion that it would be best not to get your car back after being robbed etc. I personally like the 'Thief Proof' Lotus in The Spy Who Loved Me........remember that? Guy smashed the window and it exploded, taking the thief out with it. That would teach the little *******!

Reactions: Ignition1, S3 Turbo and pburv
Why would PAYG SIM cards be an issue, they work very well and I have been using them in house alarms, automated gates and tracking systems with no problems for years in conjunction with the above GPS tracker.
The only issue is you need to send a text message every three months or the number gets decommissioned.

Reactions: S3 Turbo and pburv
Why would PAYG SIM cards be an issue, they work very well and I have been using them in house alarms, automated gates and tracking systems with no problems for years in conjunction with the above GPS tracker.
The only issue is you need to send a text message every three months or the number gets decommissioned.
Think my only issues are around the fact that you need to keep it on and charged and also effectively hidden. I know that the technology works, it just seems a crude option, albeit better than nothing.

It is installed in a GPS tracking unit the same as any professional tracking system, they all use the GSM network to communicate the location.
It is permanently powered from your battery as any tracking system is, there is nothing to keep charged.

Actually I've just had a thought,

I have ordered the Tech Pack which has an embedded SIM in the car.
The car also has a SAT NAV which knows the GPS location.

So all the components of a built in Tracker already exist.

All it needs is a bit of software so you can input you mobile number, then if your car is stolen you could request the GPS coordinates from the car.

If they send me the source code I will add it for them, a weeks work, £65K should cover it :grinning:

It wouldn't take a lot for manufacturers to do this, and even implement a remotely activated kill switch. There must be so much more that could be done. However, perhaps it would reduce new car sales.

Reactions: S3 Turbo
Actually I've just had a thought,

I have ordered the Tech Pack which has an embedded SIM in the car.
The car also has a SAT NAV which knows the GPS location.

So all the components of a built in Tracker already exist.

All it needs is a bit of software so you can input you mobile number, then if your car is stolen you could request the GPS coordinates from the car.

If they send me the source code I will add it for them, a weeks work, £65K should cover it :grinning:

Err, I think Audi have you covered already...

Dam, too late as usual, back to doing the lottery :grinning:

Can the car that was stolen not do this, unless they have it in a metal container already.

Is there a 'Tracker' thread on the forum?
I personally haven't a clue on such devices.I have done a quick search on google and there seems to be a lot available.
Is there one available that doesn't have a charge/subscription?
What do you guys think?:shrug:
@pburv - Plenty of info on Trackers here mate -
http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/trackers-anyone.262157/
http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/trackers.201214/
http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/tracker-gap-both-or-neither.232052/
http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/trackers.201214/

Reactions: S3 Turbo, Scottyg and pburv
Sickening to watch that video, and such nasty vile people. :( Keep us posted on the outcome.

Mike can you recommend which PAYG SIM card to use (or supply a link to one)

Thanks,
RAF_S7

Scrotes.

If I found those two in my house they would have both left in a private ambulance, not an S3.
........same here. My key go upstairs with me & the bedroom is fully protected, god help the little **** who try's.

Reactions: Mr Mustard
Re fitting a tracker : buy a cheap mobile, hide it and hard wire it out the way, and you can find it that way with "find my mobile" type apps,

Has anyone seen the trend of planting trackers on cars at shows, then stealing them later,
On another forum this was found in an arch liner,

"Home made trackers found on cars after Sundays Ford Fair Silverstone - if this is going on over in England have a wee look under your car on the way home from shows..... you just never know .... I believe the police are now being involved and a return trace may be taking place so hopefully the people will be caught. Pictures of the device that was found"

13920745_1124444010954844_1913467889479997045_n.jpg

13882472_1124444154288163_2583975297314366095_n.jpg

13925418_1124444240954821_1204326412810842126_n.jpg

Reactions: Ollie2014, pburv and richinsoton
Cheers thanks for that..
Maybe the mods on the forum could set something up? ie 'Best Tracker' etc
Just a thought as it seems a few members on here are having their lives turned upside down by the many scumbags in our society ..

IMHO I cant see the point in having a tracker, far better spending your money stopping them taking the car in the first place.

I wonder if there are stats on the number of cars that have successfully been recovered and returned undamaged due to using tracker type technology. I expect the number is pretty low, hence the relatively low reduction in insurance premiums for having one.

Reactions: pburv, davc and testcard
Mike can you recommend which PAYG SIM card to use (or supply a link to one)

Thanks,
RAF_S7

I just use the O2 Simply Pay And Go SIMs.
You load them with a £10 and as long as you send a text message once every three months it will remain active.
For the first month I think you get about 3000 O2 to O2 texts free, which is good for testing and then after that it is 14p per text coming out of your £10 credit.

Reactions: RAF_S7 and pburv
IMHO I cant see the point in having a tracker, far better spending your money stopping them taking the car in the first place.

I wonder if there are stats on the number of cars that have successfully been recovered and returned undamaged due to using tracker type technology. I expect the number is pretty low, hence the relatively low reduction in insurance premiums for having one.

If it reduces your premium substantially then that's a reason in itself, it does differ from car to car.

There's a good chance that the car was probably left somewhere and monitored after it was stolen, just to make sure it wasn't tracked, so IMO I'd happily have the car back if it was found parked up in 48 hours of it going walkies, if it isn't found within that time then it probably wont be found.

I'd want it back out of spite, just to make their lives a little harder and to deprive them of a joyride and who knows, the car may throw up some evidence to get the little scrotes locked away.

OK so not the most high tech device, but I saw this and though it's another deterrent...burglars don't want noise!!

I've placed it above the entrance to my house covering the hallway and the bottom of the stairs, it comes with 2 key fobs to arm/disarm it. Press once to arm and the light turns green and gives you 10-20 seconds to get out, when the light is out it's armed, if anything is detected the red lights flashes and after 10 seconds the alarm sounds, press the key fob again to disarm.

Battery operated so no wires or power plugs to find.

EDIT* If wearing headphones take them off a bit ;)

Almost forgot, B&M for £4.....yes £4! You can't go wrong for that price, I bought another one to cover another entrance to the house.

Reactions: Scottyg and pburv
Tracker made no difference to my policy. I understand about people not wanting their car back, but trackers do contribute to organised gangs being busted and if the worst ever happened, it would give me satisfaction that the b******s have been caught. Unfortunately in this day and age, you do need to take extra measures to protect nice cars........for me, a garage is a must have (although many don't have this option), and anything additional to prevent the theft such as additional immobilisers etc. House security is the main thing not to be overlooked, as the majority of thefts are key thefts. All of this aside, I do worry where I park/leave the car which does sometimes tarnish the pleasure of the car a bit. Shame that there are so many little scrotes around.

Reactions: Daveotto and pburv