S3 Steering

echo_mike

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Recently I've noticed my steering feels very light on-center, as in, making very small corrections to stay straight in the lane, the steering feels like there is no resistance trying to turn it from one direction to other then it progressively gets heavier (as it should) as the turn is increased. The 'no resistance' feel is only very very small and can be felt from approx 10mm left-to-right and vice versa.

I had a look at the wheels movement while parked and I can see the front wheels move precisely with the steering wheel, even 1mm movement of the steering wheel, I can see the front wheels respond and move (so I'm guessing the steering rack is still ok).

I mostly drive it on hightway (never took it to the track) and it's been babied since new. I've never hit any kerbs or potholes and the wheel alignment has been done approximately 8 months ago. The car only has 47,000km; the tires are still ok but will be due for replacement soon. The car doesn't pull to any side, the steering is straight..

What are your opinions guys? Is anyone experiencing this?

What could cause this? Would out of alignment cause this (even though the steering is straight and doesn't pull in any direction)?

Cheers

Yeah I tried it in dynamic and it seems a little heavier on-centre but still feels lighter than it should :-/

Have you checked your tyre pressures? If it’s too high it will feel light.

Steering is renowned for being vague and light. A lot of small steering correction needed in a straight line. Dynamic is slightly better but not great. Just get used to it and it becomes the norm.

Tire pressure is fine (I try to keep it on the lower end to cushion the potholes...it's non-mag ride so the ride is very hard as is).

I think I might book it in for the alignment just to be sure...otherwise I might have to get use to EPS being vague.

PS previously coming from BMWs and them being notorious for lower control arm bushings wearing out around 40,000km....are Audis bushing any better? Could my control arm bushings or tie rods be worn out (at 47k) by any chance? Any opinions?