S3 Steering problem

SxDaN

Reaction score
Hi, I have a 2003 S3 and have been having some problems with my steering over the past few weeks. On idle I have no power steering but if I hold the revs slightly higher it comes back slightly but makes a horrible whine when doing so. I have taken the pipes off and blown through them and then replaced the fluid with some of the stuff from audi but this has not helped. I also cannot see any leaks and dont appear to have lost any fluid.

Can any one advise on what would be best to try next?

Thanks for the replys, Ive tried posting a video but just waiting for an administrator to approve it just to confirm before I order the parts.

you said it whines so it'll be the pump...... there's nothing else in the power steering system that would whine

they wine if the fluid is too low, if there is air in the system, or if the pump is ******, call nero ltd in east london, they generally have second hand parts in, the price of a new one will make you think twice about changing it lol

to bleed it, try turning it full lock left and right 5 times with the fluid lid off, you never know

Video approved now. Link is in post 3 :) x

Well I replaced the pump the noise all dissapeared and the steering felt good untill today, the noise has come back and the power steering assist has gone very low at slow speeds. Ive probably done about 100miles since replacing the pump and it has not used any fluid and I have not let it run dry at any point.
The pump I removed had a date stamp of 04/2012 so it surely cant be a case of a faulty part?

Thanks Dan

sounds like you purchased a crap pump to be honest ! these things can happen ! why not get your original pump refurbed and let the seller know the pump you bought is no good so you can get a refund ?

you are using audi fluid right ?

I bought the pump from GSF and think that they are just refurbished. Ive only owned the car a few months but the pump which came off looks fairly clean (painted black) and has a label with 12/04/2012 on so I dont have the very original one if thats what you mean?. I have just removed the cover to have a quick look and all the rollers from the bearing fell out, I assume this isnt right? The rotor doesnt appear to have any marks on though.

Yeah I went direct to Audi and bought the green power steering fluid.

Well I swapped the pump for another replacment from GSF about 10days ago, but this one has been getting worse during the past 2 days and now I have no assist at idle. After changing the pump each time the steering was immediatly back to normal, even when bleeding the system it felt perfect!

Can anyone advise?

must be a pressure leak somewhere ? but you said there is no leak, how sure are you ?

The fluid hasnt dropped as far as I can tell and all the pipes looked dry, could it be drawing air in but not actually leaking fluid out somewhere?

Its just weird how when ive replaced the pumps its cured it for a while but when I dissconected all of the pipes to check for blockages and replaced all the fluid the noise was immediatly still there, is there something I could be disturbing whilst changing the pump?

Video sounds like pump no doubt about that. Any leaks on the rack? I had a seal gone on the left side of my rack.

No leaks visable anywhere on the whole system and havent lost any fluid out of the resivoir, removed the pump again this weekend and it was all nice and free to turn so I put it back on and bled the system but the noise is still there and as bad as ever!

I also removed the pipe linking the resivoir to pump to check that it was all clear, which it was. This is now the 4th pump the car has had this year but I cant see what would be causing this problem?

Does anyone know if there are any one way valves or restrictors in any of the pipes? Or any pipes which could be causing me this problem?

Where is the best place to buy a steering rack from? Ive found these two:

From what ive read the 225 tt one will also fit?

AUDI TT 4WD 99 > 06 POWER STEERING RACK - ACS Power Steering Store

POWER STEERING RACK

Does anyone know if the reservoir has a filter built in that I could check?

Does anyone know if the reservoir has a filter built in that I could check?

I have now removed the reservior and checked that there were no blockages and that it is all flowing smoothly

hi,

try to check alternator pulley, remove the belt and block the fan inside the alternator with wood or plastic (to prevent from damaging it with a screwdriver), then try to turn the pulley, it must turn freely on a direction and block on the other because you blocked the fan inside the alternator.

if it's free on the two directions or is blocked on the two directions, then it's the pulley wich causing your issue.

i was having the same issue with my A3. maybe it's your case too.

Hi SxDan ,
I've recently replaced my front cooler pipe and pas pump with a refubed delco remy unit , bled out loads of air but still getting a horrible whining noise , no loss of power assistance though . Replaced the pump again with a second hand unit , bled again but still horrible whining noise . Also coming to the conclusion that I may be getting air drawn into the sytem did you manage to solve your problem mate and if so how ?

Cheers Ant

Hi SxDan ,
I've recently replaced my front cooler pipe and pas pump with a refubed delco remy unit , bled out loads of air but still getting a horrible whining noise , no loss of power assistance though . Replaced the pump again with a second hand unit , bled again but still horrible whining noise . Also coming to the conclusion that I may be getting air drawn into the sytem did you manage to solve your problem mate and if so how ?

Cheers Ant

If anyones got any bright ideas , would be much appreciated