S3 Steering Issue

echo_mike

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I'm hoping to get some opinions on this issue...

Would it be possible for the steering wheel to not point straight without any external impact? I've never touched the kerb, never hit any harsh potholes (that I can remember), always go very slowly over speed bumps and yet I'm pretty convinced that my steering wheel isn't pointing strait, the car doesn't seem to pull in any direction apart from road camber...being right-hand drive, the roads camber mostly to the left, so the steering should point to the right to keep straight most of the time....yet mine is pointing slightly to the left (even with the road camber) to keep straight....it's only maybe 1-2 degrees but enough to annoy me..(this has been bugging me for months now)

Is there any way the steering can be out of alignment without any mechanical effect? I read somewhere something about steering angle sensor? Is it possible for the car to be out of alignment even with driving on mostly smooth highway roads?

The car is completely stock and I've owned it since brand new

Specs: 2015 S3 8V Sedan, 18" rotor alloys, it has park assist (self parking) but no other steering related options (no adaptive cruise etc etc).

If I do need to do complete alignment, would the dealer be the best place to do it? (I'm really picky when it comes to steering straightness/alignment). My service adviser told me that it apparently takes 4hrs to do the alignment, is that true? (Even though I don't have adaptive cruise etc etc)

Any input and opinions will be appreciated.

Thanks

I had the same problem with all 4 of my A3 8Vs which have been brand new from the factory. All of which have had the steering wheel slightly to the left when on a straight road.

Since it’s happened on all 4 of my cars from new I decided to do a bit of investigating myself and what I found believe it or not was that when the steering wheel is fully out and down (I sit low down and back) the steering wheel angle is different than when the steering wheel is fully out and up or half way up.

You can test this in you car by releasing the steering adjustment handle, pull the wheel fully out and down. Apply and piece of tape over where the steering wheel and trim meet. Draw a line and then cut the tape between. Move the steering wheel up and you’ll notice the steering wheel moves slightly to the right.

Fully out and down.

34FE3547 E414 46CE 8C70 293269F2BC2B

Fully out and up
D2371C79 CDC4 484B 903B 54AFBF4C51B0

Each time I’ve sent it back to the dealer to do a wheel alignment, after which they have come back and said it’s within tolerance. So each time I’ve gone to kwik fit who had a hunter wheel alignment machine. I explained my problem and requested that I sit in the seat and straighten the wheel myself when it comes to that part of the alignment test. However what I did was have the steering wheel ever so slightly set to the right. This seemed to of done the trick as it would be straight when I drove on a flat road. All the measurements (total toe) on the alightment machine where still in tolerance but just to the other end of that tolerance.

I would add though that all my cars had the cheaper torsion beam rear axle where the camber and toe can’t be adjusted. Yours being an S3 will have independent rear suspension.

I had the same problem with all 4 of my A3 8Vs which have been brand new from the factory. All of which have had the steering wheel slightly to the left when on a straight road.

Since it’s happened on all 4 of my cars from new I decided to do a bit of investigating myself and what I found believe it or not was that when the steering wheel is fully out and down (I sit low down and back) the steering wheel angle is different than when the steering wheel is fully out and up or half way up.

You can test this in you car by releasing the steering adjustment handle, pull the wheel fully out and down. Apply and piece of tape over where the steering wheel and trim meet. Draw a line and then cut the tape between. Move the steering wheel up and you’ll notice the steering wheel moves slightly to the right.

Fully out and down.

View attachment 159626

Fully out and up
View attachment 159627

Each time I’ve sent it back to the dealer to do a wheel alignment, after which they have come back and said it’s within tolerance. So each time I’ve gone to kwik fit who had a hunter wheel alignment machine. I explained my problem and requested that I sit in the seat and straighten the wheel myself when it comes to that part of the alignment test. However what I did was have the steering wheel ever so slightly set to the right. This seemed to of done the trick as it would be straight when I drove on a flat road. All the measurements (total toe) on the alightment machine where still in tolerance but just to the other end of that tolerance.

I would add though that all my cars had the cheaper torsion beam rear axle where the camber and toe can’t be adjusted. Yours being an S3 will have independent rear suspension.

Interesting, I'm having the same issue but it's slightly off to the right (Also RHD), had alignment done, no change, it happened when they dropped my subframe to install the downpipe, and given that the MQB subframe can shifts slightly, I was under the impression that it's the subframe being bolt back on slightly off. I've 034 subframe locking collar on order thinking it should fix the issue, but then, maybe I should look into this. But pretty sure mine steering wheel is all the way out and like 1/5 way up so according to your theory, it should be off to the left? Oh well, will test later and see...

Not sure if this would still be the case as your subframe has been dropped like you say.

It was just weird how all 4 or my cars from brand new have had the same issue, even my partner’s A3 where I took them pictures has the same issue. She doesn’t notice it as she sits high up.

This steering wheel issue people have with it being to the left ever so slightly most probably don’t notice it, or who are really bothered about. Who really looks at the steering wheel position when driving. My OCD just got the better of me with my car.

There’s another theory that it is slight off to the left so it naturally pulls away from the central barriers. Not sure how true that is though.

Like I say I’ve had the dealership do a realignment or the tracking and it’s ending up with the steering wheel being slightly to the right. It’s ever so slightly that we’re talking a 3’-5’minutes to one side . I think total toe can be something like plus or minus 10’ minutes.

Not sure if this would still be the case as your subframe has been dropped like you say.

It was just weird how all 4 or my cars from brand new have had the same issue, even my partner’s A3 where I took them pictures has the same issue. She doesn’t notice it as she sits high up.

This steering wheel issue people have with it being to the left ever so slightly most probably don’t notice it, or who are really bothered about. Who really looks at the steering wheel position when driving. My OCD just got the better of me with my car.

There’s another theory that it is slight off to the left so it naturally pulls away from the central barriers. Not sure how true that is though.

Like I say I’ve had the dealership do a realignment or the tracking and it’s ending up with the steering wheel being slightly to the right. It’s ever so slightly that we’re talking a 3’-5’minutes to one side . I think total toe can be something like plus or minus 10’ minutes.

3 to 5 minutes , you’re talking 0.083 of a degree ! ???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Reactions: f1nny
That’s not 3-5 minutes for the steering wheel. Don’t think it would be possible to even see that much difference ha.

It’s 3-5 minutes of toe for each wheel. Which is probably magnified to the steering wheel to be a couple or few degrees off centre.

Example moving the toe of my front wheels this way / - / Put my steering wheel straight when on a flat.

It was 10 minutes total toe for both wheels for my car which is on the limit for manufacterers tolerance. It only works out to be something like 1 mm which is nothing but it made a difference to the steering wheel angle of my previous A3s.

It’s surprising how accurate wheel alignment needs to be these days. They say having your wheel alignment out by 20 minutes/0.34 degrees (2-3 mm) over the course of 12000 miles is the equivalent of dragging your tyres sideways for 68 miles.

Can kinda see why Audi only allow 10 minutes tolerance.

Reactions: Rob2k68
Ah Gotcha :thumbs up:

Not sure how many splines there are on the steering column (could work out angular rotation per spline) but it’s a 5 minute job to remove the airbag and S/W I’ve done this in the past to re align my wheel just disconnect the battery first as a precaution.

Fully out and down.

View attachment 159626

Fully out and up
View attachment 159627

Thanks for your reply f1nny, that's impressive thinking outside the box. I've tried your method today and I think it seems to have improved slightly (I hope it's not just a placebo effect lol), it seems to have better road feedback as well...or it could be just in my mind. Since I have long legs but short arms, my steering wheel is all the way out and down so it's quite possible your solution works.

Just out of curiosity, does it really take 4hrs to do a full alignment at the dealer's or my service advisor doesn't know what he's talking about?

Thanks for all your replies guys, much appreciated :)

No Problem.

Like you it use to bug the hell out on me, especially as I use to do 20000 miles motorway driving were the road camber would be slightly sloping towards the crown (central barrier), yet my steering wheel would be straight, and on a what seemed a flat surface my steering wheel would be slightly to the left.

As you say it doesn’t solve it fully. Only way to do this would be to have an alignment done and offset the toe for each wheels a few minutes to the right, which should make the car track straight with a straight steering wheel.

It shouldn’t take 4 hours. It literally takes a couple of minutes to adjust the front toe of each wheel. Takes about 10 minutes to set up the equipment. All depends what wheel alignment equipment they have but even then I would say should take more than an hour.

In the past I’ve been quote £120 for a 4 wheel wheel alignment from Audi. So if it took 4 hours they’d only be charging £30 a hour. That’s not going to pay for their fancy making coffee machine ha.