S3 stealth

SilureMark

Reaction score
Any other S3 owners noticed how most people don't seem to realise what it is you're driving? Just I've lost count the number of times I have clearly surprised another driver with the performance of my car. Case in point a Fiesta ST this morning that thought he try and pass me on a short stretch of dual carriage way... if I was behind a 911 I wouldn't expect to get past if I tried to race him... got me thinking, that's all. The S3 is after all a pretty stealthy bit of kit, which IMO is a good thing. What are your thoughts/experiences?

Reactions: andywil13
I think it depends, if you have Monsoon or Daytona, or Black (with dirty tailpipes) then I think you'd maybe not think it was that quick a car if you pulled up behind it .. Misano/Sepang/White I think it's a bit more in your face ..

I wish I'd gone Daytona now .. I'd say coming out of my house in the morning 7 days out of out 10 I wish I'd gone Daytona. The sparkle blue is a bit shouty for me sometimes .. especially when pimped up with the red calipers ..

Reactions: michael-s3 and Forbzeeee
I went Monsoon grey for that very reason. I don't want to shout from the rooftop, just get on with my business, toasting as I see fit. Especially with the reports of S3 / Golf R car-jackings in the Coventry area!

Reactions: michael-s3
I'm not one for shouting and didn't buy my car to impress anyone else, so S3 in "stealth" grey suits me down to the ground :D

Reactions: michael-s3 and sunscreemer
I went for the opposite, Shock and Aware approach opposed to stealth lol

Now if you got annoyed and drove off in a white A1 and then came tearing back in your green A3...

Reactions: The Challinor
I think the Aston Martin DBS owner re-thunk his 120K purchase on the M27 the other week :)

Reactions: nickatkinson, elpaulio and RYuill
Very much like that the S3 is not all up in your face styling wize, thank god no big wings mounted on the back. I'm getting Monsoon Gray. Debadging would be super stealthy, too stealthy, I definitely like the subtle red flags on gray paint.

Reactions: Psyman79, Rob2k68 and sunscreemer
Stick a tdi badge on it for shits n giggles

Reactions: elpaulio and JohnM100
lol I couldn't resist last night, I followed an Astra around the roundabout and pulled alongside it at the lights, as soon as the other sides lights went to red he started to creep forward...'No No No' I thought...I didn't exactly redline it, but I pulled off a lot faster than he thought I would :p

Reactions: Jassyo06, Madmo, michael-s3 and 3 others
lol I couldn't resist last night, I followed an Astra around the roundabout and pulled alongside it at the lights, as soon as the other sides lights went to red he started to creep forward...'No No No' I thought...I didn't exactly redline it, but I pulled off a lot faster than he thought I would :p

"V" good tunes !!

Reactions: Madmo
You big kid :)

It's hard to resist sometimes.

Even more so when it's a Vauxhall and you've been traitor to the brand/employer lol :p

"V" good tunes !!

Yeah first time I've played that album, I'm only a few tracks in...I got it as I saw a review saying if you like 'Pay phone' you will like the new album......so far so good ;)

I get almost as much pleasure sometimes driving into the car park at work at slow speeds and letting people walking along hear the lovely sound the engine makes. I know it ain't no V8 but it certainly never fails to turn heads. Childish? Hell yes!!

Reactions: batch, Psyman79 and sunscreemer
I like the stealth thing not drawing attention. I think Monsoon looks great but understated. I had two Impreza's about 10-15 years ago with gold wheels etc so been there and done that. The S3 is quicker than both of them but you wouldn't know it. Just another Audi TDi with big wheels to most people :)

Reactions: michael-s3
almost completely anonymous down under, even s-line A3s aren't all that common, so very few people know what they are... you see more A45 with their rear wings , the new car choice, if you want a small car to be noticed in, apart from the hordes of WRXs..

our recently licensed drivers here, have to display a 'P-plate' on their cars for a few years. The other night a p-plated corolla pulled up next to me at the lights and started creeping, ... I just couldn't help it, but of course I backed off at the speed limit...:)

See I'm completely torn - current car is a brilliant black 8P Black Edition, so pretty discreet but still looks amazing when fresh and gets admiring looks from those in the know.
Now, coming towards trading in (a year early but why the hell not?!) I can't decide between Sepang blue or Daytona grey - both SB, both with BSP and privacy glass, black roof rails and leaning towards carbon mirrors. One will be a bit discreet/bit of a sleeper, the other will stand out. Almost totally ruled out black due to the current one, and can't decide whether to be a gunship or a stealth assassin...!

I was parked next a totally de-badged s3 on s-line alloys and my girlfriend stood there wondering why the boot wouldn't open

See I'm completely torn - current car is a brilliant black 8P Black Edition, so pretty discreet but still looks amazing when fresh and gets admiring looks from those in the know.
Now, coming towards trading in (a year early but why the hell not?!) I can't decide between Sepang blue or Daytona grey - both SB, both with BSP and privacy glass, black roof rails and leaning towards carbon mirrors. One will be a bit discreet/bit of a sleeper, the other will stand out. Almost totally ruled out black due to the current one, and can't decide whether to be a gunship or a stealth assassin...!

Gunship

Reactions: batch
Colour and exhausts are a big give away for me (Sepang), I see a lot of Fiesta STs about, each one is so aggressive around me, even if they are turning in from the opposite direction.

First time I unleashed its full power (within legal limits ofc) a few days ago with a bike, kept up with him, distance got wider but then beat him on the corners and was overwhelmed with the power and handling. Truly in a different league from my 8P days.

In France where 99% of the vehicles are diesel they have no idea and I haven't seen another S3 in 9months, don't think I have even seen an S/RS model at all. They sit 2 inches behind on the motorway ready for when the traffic clears and have no idea how quick it is, however no quicker than a 3.0TDI Q5 from about 60-120mph which was interesting, i hope it was chipped as I was disappointed.

My local Audi dealer has never had an S3 in, heaven help mine when it goes in for its 1st service.

I sold my golf GTI mk7 as I was fed up with boy racers and people just tailgating it.

I've had the s3 less then a week and it's a ****** nightmare. I always though they were stealth, it's why I went for one. It seems everyone under the age of 25 knows what one is !!.

Reactions: Vins and A3_Rider
I sold my golf GTI mk7 as I was fed up with boy racers and people just tailgating it.

I've had the s3 less then a week and it's a ****** nightmare. I always though they were stealth, it's why I went for one. It seems everyone under the age of 25 knows what one is !!.

What colour have you got?

Congratulations on discovering that an S3 is quicker than a low down the range astra:p Who would have thought?!

Reactions: s3_trev
Congratulations on discovering that an S3 is quicker than a low down the range astra:p Who would have thought?!
You missed the point! I knew what he had, he didn't know what I had until I pulled off ;)

l chose my car to differenciate it from a S-line as much as possible,sorry S-Line owners:oops: and the guys that get the "in your face Exclusive colours all the better" the "S3 ISNT ALONE" in this my Focus ST3 was very similar to a zetec S with a bodykit fitted of which are plentyful on uk roads,so its difficult to stand out, unless you get a very specific colour

You missed the point! I knew what he had, he didn't know what I had until I pulled off ;)

Yeah i get you but I think the wolf in sheeps clothing thing is better suited to surprising the "hot hatch" crowd, such as vxr's and ST's etc etc

Reactions: s3_trev
I love the S3's discreet looks. I'd hate to be a RS Focus or Subaru, all that noise and wings just draws too much attention which I wouldnt like. My last S3 8P used to get people trying to race with me - I guess it looked like it was worth a shot at. I dont seem to get quite the same number of boy racers or BMW company car drivers trying to push me in the S3 8V which is quite nice - maybe it doesnt look worth bothering with, or, as I'd prefer to think - it looks discreet but dangerous (and it is) !! However, all this said, I've had at least 3 conversations with people recently who have seen my car and then gone onto say "you know what I'd really like" ..... one of those Golf R's, they must be so quick...... I'm thinking ***, its the same car as the S3 but for the "Golf" people.

Best colour to stand out and not be stealth is Porsche Green imo

Reactions: The Challinor
I!! However, all this said, I've had at least 3 conversations with people recently who have seen my car and then gone onto say "you know what I'd really like" ..... one of those Golf R's, they must be so quick...... I'm thinking ***, its the same car as the S3 but for the "Golf" people.

oh no, plenty of people will tell you the R is much better ...:D

Reactions: RGS3