S3 - Started giving the beans

jaypers777

Reaction score
OK, I don't do huge mileage and I'm up to 880 miles. I've read a lot on here about running in Vs. not running in, but on the whole I've not allowed myself to peak above 4000 rpm etc, etc.

Today, could resist no more.......opportunity was there with an open road that was very inviting, oil above 85 degrees so I let rip. Oh my God......still smiling. This could become highly addictive!

Guess there is no harm in the odd 5000-6000 rpm petrol eating sessions from this point forwards?!

Reactions: Psyman79 and RYuill
Nice! What is the recommended amount of miles for a 'run in' ?

I believe its a 1000 miles, having done less than 80 miles, its very hard not to give it the beans!

Reactions: Vins
Nice! What is the recommended amount of miles for a 'run in' ?
I've read that they recommend 1000 miles where you should keep below 4k rpm, don't put engine under load etc, etc. I think it is common sense personally and not to push when cold etc (oil temp is useful for this). I've had the odd peak above 4k (can't be avoided) and feel it's all about 'respect' with a new car. I've probably treated mine with far more kid gloves that some on here, and as mentioned above, there is a whole thread about running in with a lot of different opinions,

Reactions: Vins
I'm going to launch mine out of the dealership when I collect next week :jump:. Balls to this running in lark... :flush:

Reactions: Marine_918, RAPS3, Dandanfings and 5 others
I've only done 136 miles.... I WANT TO GIVE IT THE BEANS!!! :(
Need to give myself an excuse to pop down the shops to pick up a pack of chewing gum....

Reactions: Blackwhite
I'm going to launch mine out of the dealership when I collect next week :jump:. Balls to this running in lark... :flush:
Hahahahahaha! Fair play to ya mate. You only live once lol.

Reactions: naughts4187
Hahahahahaha! Fair play to ya mate. You only live once lol.
I can guarantee that no Audi demo's are 'carefully' run in. Absolutely ragged with rubbish fuel and always with 5 miles in the tank.

I did it a couple of times below 1000 miles, generally kept it normal with the odd few 'light' bursts, after about 1200 I just drive it as I would.

I doubt it stayed at 85C temp though, rises to 100+ once you foot it!

I can guarantee that no Audi demo's are 'carefully' run in. Absolutely ragged with rubbish fuel and always with 5 miles in the tank.

When I had a test drive in the S3 there was a few weeks old RS4 there too, tyres were bald and it hadnt clocked much mileage.

1,700 miles in 9 months of ownership and driven mostly unsympathetically during that time......no issues what so ever. Done 20 odd LC's too.

Oil still looks clean on dipstick and not needed a top up yet :) I have always waited until it's warm before booting and that's the general rule I work by.

I doubt mine is actually properly run in!

I did it a couple of times below 1000 miles, generally kept it normal with the odd few 'light' bursts, after about 1200 I just drive it as I would.

I doubt it stayed at 85C temp though, rises to 100+ once you foot it!
Been watching the oil temp ranges out of interest. Noticed 2 things.......firstly, it doesn't register until 50 degrees, and secondly, it never seems to go above 103.

1,700 miles in 9 months of ownership and driven mostly unsympathetically during that time......no issues what so ever. Done 20 odd LC's too.

Oil still looks clean on dipstick and not needed a top up yet :) I have always waited until it's warm before booting and that's the general rule I work by.

I doubt mine is actually properly run in!
Checked gearbox oil? I'm sure I read somewhere you need a gearbox oil change after 5 or so launches?

May well have been something I made up though..... Haha

^^^ you sure do like making stuff up don't you @JordanQuattro?

Hopefully you didn't tell Mrs JordanQuattro too many tall tales before you showed her what JordanQuattro had under the hood....

Last edited:
Reactions: RAPS3, JordanQuattro and Blackwhite
Im trying so hard to hold back and take it easy ..... had a few blasts ....but nothing too crazy. Think i will up the pace at 500miles ....and then at 1000miles its anything goes :) ive done about 180miles so far in 3days.

Reactions: Blackwhite
What's the optimum oil temperature for the S3 before giving it the beans?

I've had mine a fortnight, just coming up on the 1000 miles now :) hmmm think I might be paying a lot of excess mileage on my pcp lol

I'm under the impression that warranty is there to be used if needed. But I have listened to the advice of the tech I had a chat with on pick up and wait until 80 oil before toeing it

I've got 2500 miles on mines now and it's had a fairly easy life I think! :oops:
Don't get me wrong I have give it a good shoeing on more than one occasion but that's what an S car is for.

Book says 80 degrees IIRC, and in my opinion after that it's fair game. It'll tell you if its not happy with the gearbox temps so that's one less thing to worry about!
Most important thing is to enjoy it and it is very very addictive giving it the beans...just make sure there are no police around as it's an easy licence loser...!!

Reactions: The Challinor and Blackwhite
Yeah I know what ya mean. I was given an A1 1.4TFSI as a courtesy car for a few days while my A4 was in for warranty work. Needless to say it got red lined through every gear everywhere I went lol. They then had it on their forecourt a few weeks later for 20k lol.

Yeah good point.

Treat thy neighbour as you would like to be treated yourself!

Reactions: lucas-suisse, David83S3 and The Challinor
When I had a test drive in the S3 there was a few weeks old RS4 there too, tyres were bald and it hadnt clocked much mileage.

They come with tyres like that. When I collected my S3 the other day the manager of the dealership had just taken delivery of an RS4 for himself and straight from the factory the tyres looked as if they were semi-slicks.
Also got informed that they are no longer taking orders on the RS4 due to the impending release of the new RS4 (no time frame given)

As for warm up temp the book stated 85 degrees and run in is 1000km, the engine should not exceed 2/3 of the maximum permissible engine speed and do not use full throttle, do not tow a trailer or caravan. from 1000-1500 km you can gradually increase the engine rpm and road speed.

information found top left of page 85 of the owners manual version 11.2014. I note version as the ACC MMI menu note isn't on page 122 in this version, its on page 157 so this info may be in a different place in a previous manual version also.

Reactions: veeeight
As for warm up temp the book stated 85 degrees and run in is 1000km, the engine should not exceed 2/3 of the maximum permissible engine speed and do not use full throttle, do not tow a trailer or caravan. from 1000-1500 km you can gradually increase the engine rpm and road speed.
This is exactly what the manual says but it is really very hard to drive this monster that way. I had a weekend trip which was around 250 km on highway (just passed 300 km right now :banghead: ) and I did bad things couple of times. Especially when you hear the farts and you feel the torque, you want it more and more. I must admit, I've kept my self so hard. So I think, it is better to stay away open highways for first 1000 km at least. But anyway, "whatever you do, oil temp must be minimum 85 degrees" said my mechanic.

Reactions: David83S3
I did the first 200 miles keeping it under 4k and the first 30 or so miles doing what was recommended on here, going up and down the rev range and since then I have been driving like normal. I haven't been bouncing it off the redline, but I have been driving it pretty hard.

even the salesman who is on his 3rd S3 told me to properly warm it up, avoid constant revs and just give it some!

I wait for 90degs before I open it up - I don't know if that is right or not, just seems plenty warm enough to me.

I would really like to see how a car would perform if it was redlined in 1st on every cold start.
300bhp from a relatively low revving forced 2litre isn't that much (many motorbikes are now at/close to 200bhp/litre) and Audi will warranty the car for 5years so clearly have confidence it can take some abuse. I ran a couple of 800cc 130bhp motorcyles for 90k miles plus each with no issues so engines are way stronger than peoplegive them credit.
Have to admit though I warm mine up before giving it any stick!

I hate the running in period! It means I have to go slow and gently which is compounded by the fact that I am coming from a Stage 2+ S3 S-tronic making slow feel really slow.

1. What happens if you ignore the run in period? (I am not saying I will do this, I am just curious)
2. Would it not be an idea for car manufacturers to do this running-in whilst the car is in the factory so you can 'use' it straight away?

Wait. Why don't you treat them as you'd like you car treated?
Trust me, my local dealer don't treat your car brilliantly. I've seen their "technicians" wheelspin & handbrake turn a few customers cars. My local dealers workshop is about quarter of a mile away from the showroom so they more or less get away with it.

Trust me, my local dealer don't treat your car brilliantly. I've seen their "technicians" wheelspin & handbrake turn a few customers cars. My local dealers workshop is about quarter of a mile away from the showroom so they more or less get away with it.
If I could ever prove that sort of thing, I would name, shame and worse if my car was involved. Can't believe a reputable Audi dealer would allow this to happen.

Reactions: JohnM100 and mikeyboy
If I could ever prove that sort of thing, I would name, shame and worse if my car was involved. Can't believe a reputable Audi dealer would allow this to happen.
Only reason I won't name and shame them is because I'm still sort of tied to the dealer. I bought an approved used audi from them and I found a few faults within days of receiving it that should have been picked up in the 145 point check.

There's a thread somewhere on running in periods / methods that I read before pick up. I tend towards more focus on getting a decent seal on the rings against mileage covered, and had a chat with one of the techs on this point when I collected mine.

His advice was pretty straightforward and matched what some of the posters on the 8V forum had said. Avoid lengthy motorway driving at steady speed / revs for the first 300 miles if you can. Never, ever lean on the loud pedal until the oil temp hits 90. Ideally, warm the car up, then run it from around 1750 to around 4500 in 3rd or 4th, letting it coast back down to 1750 (not in eco) and repeat as often as the road / conditions allow for the first 70 odd miles. Then just be sensible and watch the oil temp, and don't red line it before 500 miles.

Was a bit tricky for me having to travel back up north from Coventry, but the M6 was almost empty (Jan 2nd) and the M6 toll was deserted, so I just did as suggested, and when sitting at normal m/way speed changed from 4th to 5th to 6th and back down every couple of miles to vary the revs (again as suggested by the tech). First launch at 700, never looked back.

No idea if the above method is the best, worst, or somewhere in between, but I just thought that if the tech recommends it, then who am I to argue. And it was also a convenient excuse to drive a bit harder earlier.... :rolleyes::)

Thank god Crewe's is next door, but your right. Some people no respect.

His advice was pretty straightforward and matched what some of the posters on the 8V forum had said. Avoid lengthy motorway driving at steady speed / revs for the first 300 miles if you can. Never, ever lean on the loud pedal until the oil temp hits 90. Ideally, warm the car up, then run it from around 1750 to around 4500 in 3rd or 4th, letting it coast back down to 1750 (not in eco) and repeat as often as the road / conditions allow for the first 70 odd miles. Then just be sensible and watch the oil temp, and don't red line it before 500 miles.

Was a bit tricky for me having to travel back up north from Coventry, but the M6 was almost empty (Jan 2nd) and the M6 toll was deserted, so I just did as suggested, and when sitting at normal m/way speed changed from 4th to 5th to 6th and back down every couple of miles to vary the revs (again as suggested by the tech). First launch at 700, never looked back.

This is going to be my issue. Picking up in Coventry also, but will need to take it down to London and then deal with a regular M25 commute a few days later. I’m picking it up first thing in the morning, so I think I will spend the rest of the day doing as you’ve mention on the A-roads around my parents’ house near Northampton. Then when it comes to motorways, just make sure that I vary the gears and rev range for the first ~500 miles etc. Or I could plan a route all the way back to London completely avoiding motorways….

Guys who have motorway commutes etc, did you do anything differently when you first got your cars?