S3 standard exhaust system. HELP!!!!!

Will.T

Audi S3
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Having an absolute mare trying to find a full system. Story is, my car has an aftermarket exhaust on with no catalytic converter. I had the car mot'd and I naively thought I'd get it through as my brother in law works in the garage but obviously it failed on emissions.

Everything else is fine, again, just the emissions. So now I'm in a position where I need a standard exhaust asap as I have no car and haven't done for two weeks already.

I ordered one online from a company that was breaking an 8P S3, waited a week and then they decided to email me saying we're sorry but after closer inspection we've realise it doesn't have a cat so I got my money back.

I've been trying to find someone else breaking one on ebay and so on but no luck, they've all had there cats cut out.

My current exhaust is completely straight through so I don't really fancy cutting through it, having it welded up etc plus its much larger than the standard size so would reducers etc.

Basically I'm hoping you guys can point me in the right direction as I'm ****** desperate. Thanks for reading and I look forward to any replies.

Also would an A3 exhaust fit and does it matter whether it's off an Auto or Manual?

The way mot'ing a decated car works is you donall the proper inspections as you would during the mot but on the emission you put the emissions lambda probe on another car.

You will never pass emissions with a decat
You need a sports/high flow cat for to be able to pass and still have performance gains.

Tbh i wouldnt bother spend 200 on a old exhaust for a day just find a garage local to you will to pass de-cated cars as most do just ask friends or anyone who also has de-cated car that can recommend a garage.

In future may be an idea to have your decat v banded so you can swap it for a high flow cat for an mot of you want to play it safe

If an mot is 30 expect to pay 50-60 for an mot with a decat nothing more then 20-30 quid more then there usual pricen

Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk

Reactions: Charlie23 and No more
The way mot'ing a decated car works is you donall the proper inspections as you would during the mot but on the emission you put the emissions lambda probe on another car.

You will never pass emissions with a decat
You need a sports/high flow cat for to be able to pass and still have performance gains.

Tbh i wouldnt bother spend 200 on a old exhaust for a day just find a garage local to you will to pass de-cated cars as most do just ask friends or anyone who also has de-cated car that can recommend a garage.

In future may be an idea to have your decat v banded so you can swap it for a high flow cat for an mot of you want to play it safe

If an mot is 30 expect to pay 50-60 for an mot with a decat nothing more then 20-30 quid more then there usual pricen

This is where the problem is though. I was hoping he would put it up another exhaust and my brother in law would but its not his garage so his boss said no and just failed it which is now logged on the system so nobody will touch it. I'm more than happy to £100 for a "no cat" MOT and I found a few people that would do it but they said no as its just been logged on the system as a fail. I don't understand why they can't just do it and if I get pulled all they have to say is he changed the exhaust after he got it MOT'd with us. I'm happy to sort the exhaust but I just can't find one right now and I need my car right now lol. If anyone knows of anybody that will do it asap I'm happy to drive anywhere.

Anynother garage is just gona mot it and over right it and as younsaidnif anything you replaced it for your mot and then reverted it back, you just gonna be careful its rare but it does happen where police do stop with vosa officers

The only down side if you get pulled by a vosa c*nt decats are classed as illegal which voids mot which also voids insurance which mean 6 points on side of the road and car being towed, but in really this is very very rare

Where do you live ill see if i know anyone locally

Im sure places like AmD and duestech will sort you out as they fit decats all day long

Amd will not pass a decat car & afaik they wont decat unless its for off road use, only takes 1 report they did & huge fine along with possible garage closure, they wouldn't risk losing the business.

Just dig deep buy a high flow milltek with cat if you're looking to keep power gains.

If you get pulled you can forget the car for a start, plus points & nice fine.

Given the choices, its kinda obvious your best decision, no brainer infact.

Reactions: No more
Anynother garage is just gona mot it and over right it and as younsaidnif anything you replaced it for your mot and then reverted it back, you just gonna be careful its rare but it does happen where police do stop with vosa officers

The only down side if you get pulled by a vosa c*nt decats are classed as illegal which voids mot which also voids insurance which mean 6 points on side of the road and car being towed, but in really this is very very rare

Where do you live ill see if i know anyone locally

Im sure places like AmD and duestech will sort you out as they fit decats all day long

I live in East Sussex but if I have to I'm willing to drive a distance so I can at least get through the Christmas holidays and then I'm more than happy to fork out the money and get a cat on the car as I definitely don't want to risk it. My exhaust is Powervalve so I just phoned them but there lead time is 3 weeks to get the cat sorted.

East Sussex, I know it very well indeed.

lovely place.....well, some parts :chuncky:

Also, if I was to add said Cat, will I have to get the car remapped again?
If its a high flow probably not but stock yea probably as ull be restricting your cars flow again

lovely place.....well, some parts :chuncky:

Also, if I was to add said Cat, will I have to get the car remapped again?

Ask your mapper if its a generic aka stage 1 or no cat custom map so to speak.

Where in East Sussex?

Ask your mapper if its a generic aka stage 1 or no cat custom map so to speak.

Where in East Sussex?

Yeah I'll have to ring R-Tech then. This is turning out to be an absolute nightmare. Panicking I'm not going to have a car until mid January :wtf:

I'm in a small town near Brighton mate.

Brighton lol, small town, name a street lol.

R-Tech, they decatted, I'm shocked, they're reputable & should know better tbh.

Brighton lol, small town, name a street lol.

R-Tech, they decatted, I'm shocked, they're reputable & should know better tbh.

I said I'm in a small town NEAR Brighton lol. Brighton's a city and I don't know what the situation was with R-Tech. The lad I purchased the car off had all the work done at R-Tech so I'm assuming the exhaust was in with that as well. He said he got a dodgy MOT on it as I'm still in touch with him but you would of thought anyone with half a ****** brain cell would keep the cat or purchase a bolt on bolt off one as he's now left me in deep sh*t.

Ahhhh atd, near lol

Only 2 options, buy full system sports cat or wait out for used full oem system.

Ahhhh atd, near lol

Only 2 options, buy full system sports cat or wait out for used full oem system.

Yeah I think I've come to that conclusion now, so frustrating though. Thanks anyway mate :icon thumright:

To be fair, you know the rules - no cat, no mot. I’m not being an **** but that’s how it is.

Get a sport cat off of eBay and get an exhaust shop to weld the vbands onto it, and you existing exhaust. That way you can swap in or out.

Alternatively, get a new DP with sports cat.

EDIT... reading a few more of the posts - call the last place that did the MOT and ask them to give you one or shop them.

The guy you bought the system off hasn’t really left you in deep **** - you bought it!

If you are running a decat you must be remapped so it would not be happy with a standard exhaust. The BCS cats are huge and so they pose very little if any restriction to the gas flow and so there is no real need to have one. The previous owner spent less on the exhaust and now you are having to pick up the tab. The BCS cats are high quality and I have had no problems at MOT time with mine. The decats are advertised on their site as off road use only.
I’d be having the BCS cat as cheap EBay versions are often poor quality and only last a couple of years.

Just gonna buy the cat from Powervalve in the new year so I can have it for future use when required and tbh I'll probably just leave it on, not worth the risk.

Reactions: samuelh_888 and ahtcap
Just gonna buy the cat from Powervalve in the new year so I can have it for future use when required and tbh I'll probably just leave it on, not worth the risk.

As the Powervalve cats are a decent size and do not restrict gas flow I’d leave it on permanently.

I asked about this when I went from an APR cat to a BCS cat which has much less restriction. My car was running APR stage 2+ software and the answer at Awesome GTi was it would make no difference.
Nige at BCS also told me that the cat is big enough in diameter that even with the internal cat components in place the overall area remaining is still bigger than a decat.
When you get your BCS cat fitted you will need to remind the MOT tester to get it hot and give it a good thrashing on your way to the retest.