S3 stage 2 v RS3 stage 1

Yeh, that’s was me! Saw you also, with the BM lot all polishing your motors on the grass. Some boy was snowflaming his motor from what looked like his boot lol. That’s commitment!

hahaha! Yes that was Kev, bet we got some weird looks. Was going to on the strip but I could see your car along with other rs3s spinning slightly at the start, I would have had no chance!

Last edited:
Reactions: NevMan
hahaha! Yes that was Kev, bet we got some weird looks. Was going to on the strip but I could see your car along with other rs3s spinning slightly at the start, I would have had no chance!

I mean the grass was wet so stuck to the tyres and wheels as you’ll know. Some lad A few cars up there for the forum meet was wiping all the grass off and then got the polish out...so a boy snowfoaning his car in a field didn’t look to out of place ha.

Yeh, struggled getting the power down. Was up against a lad on here with a new S4 avant with a DTUK box and he destroyed me off the line, as soon as 2nd hooked up the car was moving.

Bunch of amateurs :p, The standard cars will go quicker ;)

Top tip, if you have traction issues, do not use full launch control. Roll it off the line and then plant it. You need to be aiming for 1.7's on the 60ft for a decent run.

Pressures down to around 20psi will also help

Bunch of amateurs :p, The standard cars will go quicker ;)

Top tip, if you have traction issues, do not use full launch control. Roll it off the line and then plant it. You need to be aiming for 1.7's on the 60ft for a decent run.

Pressures down to around 20psi will also help

I think tyres need changed too, on MPSS but going to MPS4S next, a friend was also running, 12s flat @121mph in an m4 convertible :blink:, first ever time on a drag strip, He was running MPS4S. Second fastest RWD time of the day

I mean the grass was wet so stuck to the tyres and wheels as you’ll know. Some lad A few cars up there for the forum meet was wiping all the grass off and then got the polish out...so a boy snowfoaning his car in a field didn’t look to out of place ha.

Yeh, struggled getting the power down. Was up against a lad on here with a new S4 avant with a DTUK box and he destroyed me off the line, as soon as 2nd hooked up the car was moving.

The silver S4? Wasn't hanging around!

Reactions: Deep penetrator
Mine is back in on Friday now I've done a couple of hundred miles on V Power.

Hope there's a noticeable difference again. :thumbs up::racer:

So I tune and dyno a lot of S/RS3 so can give you a little feedback on numbers.

Facelift S3 will Dyno 320bhp, Stage 1 is around 370bhp, Stage 2 without cooler is 385, with cooler we see 400bhp.

RS3 preface lift - they generally dyno close to quoted output. One made 363 earlier today on VPower, 411bhp when tuned.

The S3 is a little lighter so you can see the performance between a Stage 2 S3 and Stage 1 PFL RS3 is very similar.

Facelift RS3 - dyno around 397-398bhp. Stage 1 only, 460-470. - An S3 will struggle a little with this.

Rick

Reactions: MikeParkin, 45bvtc, Terminator x and 1 other person
Ok.

So had the new setting done today and that's more like it.

A car that makes me grin!

Even the dude on Google Earth was drifting off roundabouts!

So much more responsive and so much more grunt. Proper car now but had to turn the TC off.

Still getting rid of it in November though.. :whistle2:

Yeh, that’s was me! Saw you also, with the BM lot all polishing your motors on the grass. Some boy was snowflaming his motor from what looked like his boot lol. That’s commitment!

Excuse the naivety but whats snowflamming ?

Ok.

So had the new setting done today and that's more like it.

A car that makes me grin!

Even the dude on Google Earth was drifting off roundabouts!

So much more responsive and so much more grunt. Proper car now but had to turn the TC off.

Still getting rid of it in November though.. :whistle2:
good to hear it is better with correct map. So what car you going to next?

Reactions: E15
good to hear it is better with correct map. So what car you going to next?

Nothing tasty I don't think.

Going back to th bikes.... :thumbs up:

Nice to see the outcome here was what you wanted mate... and to be honest what you should have got from the start!

What bikes you looking at? I’ve had a couple a few years ago, nothing at the min though

Reactions: E15
Nice to see the outcome here was what you wanted mate... and to be honest what you should have got from the start!

What bikes you looking at? I’ve had a couple a few years ago, nothing at the min though

Looking at a Gixxer 1000, had 5 of them and like them as they suit me..

That or an R1..

Looking at a Gixxer 1000, had 5 of them and like them as they suit me..

That or an R1..

Nice... when I get round to looking at another I’ll be looking at a Gixxer too

My last two good ones were a 600 ninja and a Ducati 1198s... both cracking machines :icon thumright:

Reactions: E15 and Deep penetrator
Had a bit of a comparison this morning with a mates S3 stage 2 and I have to say, there was nothing in it.
I know my car is heavier, just like the driver, but thought that there would have been a noticeable difference..

To say I'm surprised is an understatement ..

Was the S3 Facelift or Pre-Facelift as the Facelift tend to be making a fair bit more than the Pre-Facelift on Stage 1/2 Maps .

Stage 2 Golf R’s/ S3’s are 11.7-11.8 best at 115-117mph or so. Stock facelift RS3 car should be doing it in the same time, around 11.7 at around the same terminals.

Stage 1 FL cars on 99 octane should be doing the 1/4m in 11.1-11.2 at around 124-125.

Difference between an 11.1 @ 125mph and 11.7 @ 116 is significant. People see 0.6secs of a difference and think “oh there’s not much of a difference then” - At what time was the quicker car doing 116mph or how much additional time would the slower car need to reach 125mph?

Regardless, Stage 2 2.0t cars are just stock RS3 quick.

If a Stage 1 FL RS3 is struggling to pull away then something somewhere is amiss. (Clearly)

Dyno figures are just bollo*s. Stopped wasting my money on them many years ago. Vbox, Dragy and timeslips and terminals are much more reliable.

Need clarification as to whether we're referring to Prefacelift or Facelift S3s. If the latter I'm not sure I would agree with you that a properly set up Stage 2 FL S3 is identical performance to stock RS3 FL. I have dragy tested my own car extensively (I own a S3 Facelift Stage 1 mapped by Unicorn) and with all due respect my car would not be troubled by a stock RS3 FL (have run against a couple on my private airstrip in Mexico) .

For some hard Dragy Data, here's a few performance runs from my Stage 1 Unicorn S3 with pump fuel and Forge intake. Stock downpipe and stock intercooler. Stage 1 RS3 is still obviously quicker but since we're talking Stage 2 S3, with added downpipe, intercooler and Stage 2 Software, I would think the gap closes considerably (but not completely) .

Going by my Stage 1 runs one could reasonably expect full Stage 2 to hit 8 sec 100-200, very low 3s 0-60 and low 11s 1/4 mile. Correct me if I'm wrong but these figures don't seem worlds apart from the RS3 Stage 1. Start to then add in variables on the road such as small jumps in acceleration, any heatsoak issues, road conditions, traction and general driver mod issues and I think you would agree with me the results referred to by OP are not unexplainable (all assuming we are referring to FL S3 only).

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180929-020333.png
    Screenshot_20180929-020333.png
    248.8 KB · Views: 290
  • Screenshot_20180929-020329.png
    Screenshot_20180929-020329.png
    431.3 KB · Views: 207
  • Screenshot_20180929-020315.png
    Screenshot_20180929-020315.png
    272.2 KB · Views: 203
Last edited:
Me personally I don’t rate apr! On previous cars I’ve had apr maps and they’ve been absolute garbage even on one overfuelling that much that it damaged everything!

If apr says it makes x amount take it to a different rolling road as I wouldn’t believe them and I will never touch apr again! The only map I would even consider is mrc!

So if your car is mapped wrong like mine were you won’t be making as much as they say, and adding into that temps you could easily be at stock power or less!

My 2p: get a uprated intercooler and a mrc map!

Also the rs3 sounds better so at least you win in the sound comparison

My S3 has exactly that ^. Revo intercooler, intake (turbo inlet, oem mod with panel filter), MRC stage 2 remap and made 390bhp/391lbs in 25C heat (run 4 was the best, apparently).
I had the intercooler fitted long before the remap and it did make a bit of a difference on the stock car, but more in terms of having sustained performance when booting it for periods whereas before the power would fade a bit on warm days. The intercooler is OK for a standard car, but an uprated one is better. Remaps on a stock IC is going to expose this but that doesn't mean its a waste of time, just prepare for the fact it will lose a bit of grunt if the intercooler cooks and it hasnt had a chance to recover.

Anyone ever experience a Celica GT4 ST185 model? The one which had an absolutely rubbish top mounted intercooler that ****** up half way through just one WOT run. Get stuck in any traffic and it was like someone stole the turbo. Compared to those the VW stock ICs are really quite decent.

Even though my car it's not a full stage 2 (no exhaust side mods so it looses out a bit at the top end) it is through 2nd and 3rd gears in what feels like a matter of seconds. I'm really not surprised that a heavier car (5-7% heavier?) with maybe only 15% more power wasn't really pulling away.

Anyone ever experience a Celica GT4 ST185 model? The one which had an absolutely rubbish top mounted intercooler that ****** up half way through just one WOT run. Get stuck in any traffic and it was like someone stole the turbo. Compared to those the VW stock ICs are really quite decent.
:tearsofjoy: