S3 Stage 1 map recommendations

brown

Reaction score
Have a facelift S3 on 63k that I’m looking into having mapped, I’ve just fitted a r600 intake and elbow and that’s made a nice noticeable difference, it’s also got a res delete (that I have. Love/hate relationship with)

I would ideally like a live map on a rolling road as I’d like it all checked beforehand to know the cars safe to map, plus the highish miles makes me a bit cautious

Have also heard differing advice with regards to facelift 7 speed dsg being mapped to match, are they safe to map?

who would you guys recommend ?

Rtech are close to me and a current favourite, has anyone used them? Any experiences good or bad

I’ve also got an intercooler that I could fit and possibly go stage 2, but is that too far a jump in power for what’s a daily driver ? I still want the car to be civilised and not too asbo

I'd recommend you make sure all your fluids have been changed just for piece of mind; engine, f+r diff, DSG etc so you know everything is tip top before getting a remap. I would also say you don't require a TCU remap for a Stage 1 engine map but it's a personal choice and totally up to the individual and what they are looking to get from a remap, out and out power/optimised engine/better drivability etc. If you're already considering Stage 2 then yes look into TCU remap and don't mess going Stage 1 ECU map, bolt everything on and go for what you want from the start. A rolling road live map would be my recommendation from a trusted tuner so do your research and choose wisely.

Last edited:
Reactions: brown
I’d recommend APR all day long. You can choose low or high output files on their stage 1. It’s a super smooth map that’s been fine tuned since the MQB platform arrived. Awesome are the main agents unless there’s an APR agent close by.
Only downside is APR no longer does a stage 2 file for the MQB platform.

Have a facelift S3 on 63k that I’m looking into having mapped, I’ve just fitted a r600 intake and elbow and that’s made a nice noticeable difference, it’s also got a res delete (that I have. Love/hate relationship with)

I would ideally like a live map on a rolling road as I’d like it all checked beforehand to know the cars safe to map, plus the highish miles makes me a bit cautious

Have also heard differing advice with regards to facelift 7 speed dsg being mapped to match, are they safe to map?

who would you guys recommend ?

Rtech are close to me and a current favourite, has anyone used them? Any experiences good or bad

I’ve also got an intercooler that I could fit and possibly go stage 2, but is that too far a jump in power for what’s a daily driver ? I still want the car to be civilised and not too asbo

Firstly, I would definitely recommend getting the intercooler fitted. Ive got the revo one and there is zero power fade and goes a bit better at the top end. I also have the intake done: OEM intake mod with a performance panel filter and turbo technics turbo inlet, so the makings of an R600. Also, colder grade NGK plugs, custom tuned to tesco 99 fuel at MRC tuning. 390 bhp, 392lbs foot at 1.5 bar (22.5psi) boost on a 25C summers day. Exhaust side is complete stock.
So its not totally ragging the turbo but still made good figures. They can go up to 1.75bar ( I believe) at full stage 2 but mine was limited by the exhaust side being stock. Still, the extra power and torque is awesome, especially in the lower gears where it now runs the full 22.5psi instead of reduced boost it does in stock form (about 12psi in first, 14psi in 2nd). Transformed the car completely :)

Reactions: jimojameso and brown
That's a big shame. APR was one of my shortlist. Do you know why they've canned the Stage 2 file?
Yes because of the tightening up of Emissions legislation in the USA meant they had to pull the plug on it. Shame as their stage 2 is a great bit of software with their ZTCU tune. I’ve had mine since car was purchased new in 2016 originally on APR Stage 1 HO which gave 380bhp and 400lbs. Transformed the car.They still do this file and you can still add in an uprated FMIC.!I did this together with the Racingline Catch Can breather system a must for track work.

Yes because of the tightening up of Emissions legislation in the USA meant they had to pull the plug on it. Shame as their stage 2 is a great bit of software with their ZTCU tune. I’ve had mine since car was purchased new in 2016 originally on APR Stage 1 HO which gave 380bhp and 400lbs. Transformed the car.They still do this file and you can still add in an uprated FMIC.!I did this together with the Racingline Catch Can breather system a must for track work.
I know there's a lot said for the benefits of stepping up to Stage 2, but for all the work it requires, is it really worth it for 20horses, when a Stage 1 APR gives you 380 and 400lbsft?
I mean.... you can do the intake side complete, all the way to the turbo, which is an easy 'Saturday morning DIY', get it mapped and achieve 380 and 400lbsft... And unless you're tracking your car and actively WANT it to be louder, you'd very rarely have any arguement to do the work on the exhaust side that you'd need for Stage 2 and wouldn't really need to bother with the FMIC for the occassional B-Road thrashing.
Is the cost outlay really worth the extra Ponies, Ian?

Been thinking this, I’ve got the intake and elbow fitted and being honest a stage 1 map will be good enough, I’ll probably sell on the AirTec intercooler I’ve got and concentrate on suspension dampers as these mods will give me more satisfaction
Thank you for all the replies tho, greatly appreciated

If RTech are your local tuner then I would go with them. I am Revo through and through as they are my local support but I firmly believe you go with who you are most comfortable with, can afford, decent dealer/customer service and general confidence

Don't read into the APR vs Revo vs MRC vs Celtic vs whoever/joe bloggs - do your own research and as said, have your support network near you just in case or if you fancy going stage 2 :p

Been thinking this, I’ve got the intake and elbow fitted and being honest a stage 1 map will be good enough, I’ll probably sell on the AirTec intercooler I’ve got and concentrate on suspension dampers as these mods will give me more satisfaction
Thank you for all the replies tho, greatly appreciated

No dont sell it, fit it. It does help with the power fade which is especially noticeable in the warmer months, and even more likely to be an issue going to stage 1 and running higher boost levels. I noticed the difference after fitting mine even on a stock car.

No dont sell it, fit it. It does help with the power fade which is especially noticeable in the warmer months, and even more likely to be an issue going to stage 1 and running higher boost levels. I noticed the difference after fitting mine even on a stock car.

Already gone to Scott325se (top guy to deal with),

I honestly didn’t want the work that would involve plumbing it all in, hopefully trying to improve the car with the least possible disruption and wanted to keep it oem ish, will continue with a stage 1 and then concentrate on some shocks and possibly a rear anti roll bar, just make it a better all rounder.

I also need to hold back to be able to mod the E46

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Already gone to Scott325se (top guy to deal with),

I honestly didn’t want the work that would involve plumbing it all in, hopefully trying to improve the car with the least possible disruption and wanted to keep it oem ish, will continue with a stage 1 and then concentrate on some shocks and possibly a rear anti roll bar, just make it a better all rounder.

I also need to hold back to be able to mod the E46

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Would also like to reciprocate the above comment for Mo (Brown) - Very honestly described and well packaged and he shipped it out the next day. Top man and much appreciated.