S3 Sportback S-Tronic - One year review

TheFiftheElement

Reaction score
It's only a few days from me living my with car for a year, I had written a 1,000 mile review and thought it might be of interest to see what had changed after 12 months of ownership.

1,000 mile review thread here:
http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/1-000-mile-in-s3-sportback-s-tronic-report.227466/

Spec: S3 Sportback, S-Tronic, Sepang Blue with Lunar Silver interior. Options added were comfort pack, audi sound system, interior light pack, hill hold assist, parking plus, mono.pur, aluminium roof rails, folding mirrors and red brake calipers :happy:

I've completed @3,600 miles at an average of @24 mpg. That would be around 70/30 town/motorway and the best I've ever seen is 35.3 on a gentle 70 mph run through to Edinburgh from Aberdeen. I can't see how it's possible to get 40+ unless you're sitting about 55/60 in 6th and ******* everyone off around you :blush: .. I didn't not buy the car for it's frugality though.

I've had almost zero issues with the car, it hasn't used oil, never been back to the dealers, and the only thing I can think of that's not worked all the time is the Radio/Iphone/SD card switching. Sometimes it won't recognize my iPhone is connected, other times it will play what I've been listening to, before I connect it, but it won't let me scroll through tracks/artists. Disconnecting/connecting usually fixes the issue.

Pictures from day of collection:

It's a cracking looking car, unfortunately my original suspicion that Sepang may be a bit bright for me have come to fruition, and I wish I'd gone Daytona. Sepang had just been released the weekend before as a £500 option when I ordered mine, so had been a custom paint order previously :blink: I hadn't seen many around. Now I think 75% of S3's are Sepang and it no longer feels exclusive :sadlike: Don't get me wrong - it's still a beautiful colour, just not for me.

I like S-tronic, I don't find myself in the wrong gear too often (and you can over ride with a flip of a paddle), it's awesome when you're on a hoon and you never get tired of the burps.

I love the interior, it's very minimalist (which is very me) and I think the lunar silver works well with Sepang. No issues with keeping it clean either, a quick wipe every now and again and it's like new. I have had no issues with colour transfer from jeans etc.

I like the design of the alloy wheels but not 100% sold on the diamond cut, or the colour. I wouldn't describe it as titanium and it's more a muddy grey colour especially when they are covered in brake dust.

It's not quite as well built as it looks though. I have a rattle from the passenger side somewhere (minor) and the dash also buzzes and rattles occasionally (I think it's coming from the pop up display). Pretty minor mind you and nothing compared to some of the other so called premium :shrug: cars I've owned.

There's nothing really I wish I had spec'd (but didn't), I find the smaller screen absolutely fine (bear in mind I didn't spec anything tech or nav), the audi sound system is excellent (enough control over bass, sub, treble).

I find hill hold assist very useful. Mono.pur does lift the cabin in terms of quality :whistle2: The only options I'm not sure I should have spec'd are the interior light pack (big woop, can't see the fuss) and the red brake calipers (I can't say I notice them much).

I have written previously on how I feel the car drives so didn't intend to go into much detail here. It's quick but disguises it's speed well, it's too quiet though and I haven't heard an exhaust yet that doesn't make it sound like a bag of spanners :grimacing: .. I don't like the soft throttle response (even in dynamic), and I don't feel that the ADS changes the car as much as I'd like. I have found the handling a bit scary on bumpy B-roads, it feels a bit floaty and not tied down. It's like it doesn't control the rebound very well. It has great traction but does feel front biased (no surprises there).

I like S-tronic, I don't find myself in the wrong gear too often (and you can over ride with a flip of a paddle), it's awesome when you're on a hoon and you never get tired of the burps.The only occasions where I get a bit frustrated with S-tronic :grimacing: are on a slight incline in town @30 it'll get into 5th quickly and it feels as though you have about 5 BHP going up the hill (again a quick flip and you're OK).

I have caught it out once when I went from 4-2 (not braking) quickly and floored it. No idea what it was doing, but all I got was nothing for about 2 seconds then a big lurch. It changes down quicker when you're on the brakes than it does when you just ask for a downshift (noticeable).

Overall though S-Tronic is awesome, so easy in traffic, magic on a hoon, and it is interactive in manual mode with paddles. Is it as interactive as a manual, no.

Things I like:
Looks, speed, burps, interior design, audi sound system, S-Tronic

Things I don't like:
Sticker on passenger sun visor, throttle response, boost and petrol gauges (please give me a normal dial/needle)

Things I find a bit meh:
Interior light pack, noise, too quick to change up in town, Sepang blue :fearscream:, ADS

Is it a lovely car, yes it is but much like the 8P S3 I owned it's not got under my skin, and I have ordered an S4 saloon that's due in September. It has the throttle response I want, and the 3.0v6 (enhanced or not) sounds so much better. Given my needs for a car the S3 is still one that meets my needs on paper. I just think it lacks a bit of character and the final 10% of polish on B-roads. Why the Golf R is reportedly (given it's practically the same car) so much better I don't know. I am an admitted serial car changer, even with the knowledge it's financial suicide, so I am not 100% surprised I'm changing my car.

In summary: owning 9/10, driving 6/10.

Reactions: Simon L, DommyR, Snake Pliskin and 10 others
Great review & interesting thoughts

Reactions: TheFiftheElement
Nice review. My only comment would be how on earth does someone who owns a 'drivers' car like the S3 only do 3,600 miles in 12 months. When my car was 12 months old I had done 14.5k miles. I do use mine to go on holiday to Germany and Holland but I quite often go out for a drive just to enjoy the driving.

Reactions: phil1824
Very nice review! Glad someone else is bothered by the sticker on the passengers sun visor !!

Reactions: Madmo and TheFiftheElement
It's only a few days from me living my with car for a year, I had written a 1,000 mile review and thought it might be of interest to see what had changed after 12 months of ownership.

1,000 mile review thread here:
http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/1-000-mile-in-s3-sportback-s-tronic-report.227466/

Spec: S3 Sportback, S-Tronic, Sepang Blue with Lunar Silver interior. Options added were comfort pack, audi sound system, interior light pack, hill hold assist, parking plus, mono.pur, aluminium roof rails, folding mirrors and red brake calipers :happy:

I've completed @3,600 miles at an average of @24 mpg. That would be around 70/30 town/motorway and the best I've ever seen is 35.3 on a gentle 70 mph run through to Edinburgh from Aberdeen. I can't see how it's possible to get 40+ unless you're sitting about 55/60 in 6th and ******* everyone off around you :blush: .. I didn't not buy the car for it's frugality though.

I've had almost zero issues with the car, it hasn't used oil, never been back to the dealers, and the only thing I can think of that's not worked all the time is the Radio/Iphone/SD card switching. Sometimes it won't recognize my iPhone is connected, other times it will play what I've been listening to, before I connect it, but it won't let me scroll through tracks/artists. Disconnecting/connecting usually fixes the issue.

Pictures from day of collection:

It's a cracking looking car, unfortunately my original suspicion that Sepang may be a bit bright for me have come to fruition, and I wish I'd gone Daytona. Sepang had just been released the weekend before as a £500 option when I ordered mine, so had been a custom paint order previously :blink: I hadn't seen many around. Now I think 75% of S3's are Sepang and it no longer feels exclusive :sadlike: Don't get me wrong - it's still a beautiful colour, just not for me.

I like S-tronic, I don't find myself in the wrong gear too often (and you can over ride with a flip of a paddle), it's awesome when you're on a hoon and you never get tired of the burps.

I love the interior, it's very minimalist (which is very me) and I think the lunar silver works well with Sepang. No issues with keeping it clean either, a quick wipe every now and again and it's like new. I have had no issues with colour transfer from jeans etc.

I like the design of the alloy wheels but not 100% sold on the diamond cut, or the colour. I wouldn't describe it as titanium and it's more a muddy grey colour especially when they are covered in brake dust.

It's not quite as well built as it looks though. I have a rattle from the passenger side somewhere (minor) and the dash also buzzes and rattles occasionally (I think it's coming from the pop up display). Pretty minor mind you and nothing compared to some of the other so called premium :shrug: cars I've owned.

There's nothing really I wish I had spec'd (but didn't), I find the smaller screen absolutely fine (bear in mind I didn't spec anything tech or nav), the audi sound system is excellent (enough control over bass, sub, treble).

I find hill hold assist very useful. Mono.pur does lift the cabin in terms of quality :whistle2: The only options I'm not sure I should have spec'd are the interior light pack (big woop, can't see the fuss) and the red brake calipers (I can't say I notice them much).

I have written previously on how I feel the car drives so didn't intend to go into much detail here. It's quick but disguises it's speed well, it's too quiet though and I haven't heard an exhaust yet that doesn't make it sound like a bag of spanners :grimacing: .. I don't like the soft throttle response (even in dynamic), and I don't feel that the ADS changes the car as much as I'd like. I have found the handling a bit scary on bumpy B-roads, it feels a bit floaty and not tied down. It's like it doesn't control the rebound very well. It has great traction but does feel front biased (no surprises there).

I like S-tronic, I don't find myself in the wrong gear too often (and you can over ride with a flip of a paddle), it's awesome when you're on a hoon and you never get tired of the burps.The only occasions where I get a bit frustrated with S-tronic :grimacing: are on a slight incline in town @30 it'll get into 5th quickly and it feels as though you have about 5 BHP going up the hill (again a quick flip and you're OK).

I have caught it out once when I went from 4-2 (not braking) quickly and floored it. No idea what it was doing, but all I got was nothing for about 2 seconds then a big lurch. It changes down quicker when you're on the brakes than it does when you just ask for a downshift (noticeable).

Overall though S-Tronic is awesome, so easy in traffic, magic on a hoon, and it is interactive in manual mode with paddles. Is it as interactive as a manual, no.

Things I like:
Looks, speed, burps, interior design, audi sound system, S-Tronic

Things I don't like:
Sticker on passenger sun visor, throttle response, boost and petrol gauges (please give me a normal dial/needle)

Things I find a bit meh:
Interior light pack, noise, too quick to change up in town, Sepang blue :fearscream:, ADS

Is it a lovely car, yes it is but much like the 8P S3 I owned it's not got under my skin, and I have ordered an S4 saloon that's due in September. It has the throttle response I want, and the 3.0v6 (enhanced or not) sounds so much better. Given my needs for a car the S3 is still one that meets my needs on paper. I just think it lacks a bit of character and the final 10% of polish on B-roads. Why the Golf R is reportedly (given it's practically the same car) so much better I don't know. I am an admitted serial car changer, even with the knowledge it's financial suicide, so I am not 100% surprised I'm changing my car.

In summary: owning 9/10, driving 6/10.

I have had my S3 now 9 months and agree your opinions. I made following mods because i was also little tired the lack of character:
APR Stage 1
VW R600 Intake
PedalBox

I have to say that now i'm happy. Car is more responsive at low RPM and make's nice boost after 2500 RPM. Also sound is better thank's to intake. And no problem so far.

Had my S3 one year and two weeks... 22,000 miles covered. So, sorry folks, it's not all good...

Likes = great performance, good economy when I want it, 100% reliability, interior, tyre wear excellent (still got 4mm), zero rattles

Dislikes = poor steering wheel adjustment + uncomfortable seats, Audi Sound System is disappointing, paint chips and scratches easily

50/50 = looks, well, it is an A3 with a body kit I suppose, pop up sat nav screen I find sometimes distracting, needs more steering feel and grip levels could be better

So, 7/10 from me. It's just not a car I find myself wanting to drive, I've never really connected with it and I find the overriding problem I have with the driving position to be the biggest problem. I often look at it and think, yawn, but others think it's a real head turner. Confused.com on that one! I have never owned a car before where I just can not get comfortable in it. Over half hour in my S3 and I just want to park it up and walk sometimes... So, it's a mk3 TTS that will be ordered to replace my S3 later this year. I have driven the new RS3 now, but just has the same issues as my S3, so that's been ruled out. Back to TT land for me, it'll be my fourth (owned mk1 TTC225, mk2 TTs and RS)... sadly, this S3 has been a bit of a let down. On reflection, the 8P I had was a better car. Not all progress is good I guess.

Reactions: Snibo and mister.c.
Nice review. My only comment would be how on earth does someone who owns a 'drivers' car like the S3 only do 3,600 miles in 12 months. When my car was 12 months old I had done 14.5k miles. I do use mine to go on holiday to Germany and Holland but I quite often go out for a drive just to enjoy the driving.

I know, it's pretty shameful :shrug: I walk to work most days as it only takes 20 minutes or so. If we have longer trip quite often it's with the wife's smelly hairy dog, so we take her Q5. I've no need for an S3, but I like cars and it's satisfying owing a nice one. And I think that's one of the reasons the S3 is going, I don't ever feel like taking it for a drive just for the hell of it.

Interesting thoughts on the driving position @SilureMark I can't say I ever feel uncomfortable with the standard seats. I'm 5'7, short legs, longer torso, long arms for my height with an athletic build. The steering wheel does rake/reach etc. what do you think it is that causing the discomfort? Pedal offset, too upright? I suffer (very occasionally) from sciatica and had to stop in my Boxster occasionally as my feet would go numb. The S3 has been fine though.

The new TT looks nice, and will undoubtedly be rapid, might even handle better if spec'd with mag ride. For me I won't own another 2.0 turbo 4 pot unless finances dictate otherwise :concern:

Reactions: Simon L
One year and half with my S3 so far. And 17.000 km.
I share lot of your impressions. BTW I do not know if I order again this car in retrospective. There are some annoying things that I cannot accept from a car of this kind. I have a kind of metallic hissing noise under acceleration and a whine from 120 to 140 km/h in 6th gear. Audi is not able to fix them.

Reactions: Snibo
Nice review :)

Why the Golf R is reportedly (given it's practically the same car) so much better I don't know.

The reason why the Golf R is more of a "drivers" car is because, it isn't the same car as a S3 ;)

Golf R is lighter
Golf R is quicker to 62
Golf R track is wider than S3
Golf R 5-dr is shorter than S3 SB
Golf R has different springs, dampers, steering rack, geometry etc.
Golf R has better turn in characteristics, and better damping characteristics than S3

More:
http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/s3-vs-golf-r-wheel-alignment-handling.238462/#post-2386704

<puts on tin hat>

Reactions: TheFiftheElement
Veeeight, you missed one.........

Golf R wont fit through my garage doors unless the mirrors are folded.

I've had my S3 almost a year, I'll do a report in a few weeks.

Reactions: veeeight
One of the (many) reasons I went for another A3 rather than a Golf was that the Golf is 61mm wider over the mirrors that the A3 which means my A3 will fit in my garage and the Golf would have been very tight through the garage door.

l wouldnt be seen ever in a Golf R,Its interior is gash all high gloss black surrounds,standard seats horrendous,Carbon Leather??? come on..its standard 18" alloys look cheap,its DRLs look one dimensional ie..only visible full on,its residual values will be affected due to the extremely low priced 23 months leasing deals expect a lot of used Golf R's on the market in the next 6-8 months. IT COSTS THE SAME AS A S3.........so it says.

I think l will go low rent again in a wee while, and get a Mk3 RS Focus,but then again will it keep its price like the MK2 RS did, who knows?.
but what i do know,its interior is very,very nice,it looks awesome,it will run circles round any S3,RS3,Golf R/297/397.

Or maybe get a Fiesta ST3 AND RUN CIRCLE'S round all of above lol BUT I HATE the old fashioned Dash..lol

"I HAVE PICKED FAULTS" with all my cars but for a car at this price, l expected just a bit more from the S3 and to me, l feel VERY short changed.

Reactions: Simon L