S3 Sportback or M140i

GRE57Y

Reaction score
Hi All,
I've previously owned a 2013 8V S3 three door manual and an 8V RS3 but I'm now contemplating a switch to BMW and getting an M140i five door auto or going back to an S3 but a Sportback S-Tronic this time.

Has anyone had any experience of what the BMW is like to live with? For me, it's the unknown but seems to be far better value for money in terms of spec.

To put this in perspective, I currently drive 24k miles per year and have a 3.0TDI 2016 A6 Saloon- Black Edition with 272PS.

I've made a list of my pros and cons for each:

S3 Pros:
Safety of Quattro
Recently updated model
Audi Virtual cockpit (is it worthwhile?)
Smaller engine/ (slightly) better official MPG figures over the M140i Auto

S3 Cons:
Higher APR % (more of my money on interest instead of car)
S3 steering was vague on my previous car (RS3 was far better)
Having to wait for a factory order...

M140i Pros:
Remote services (pre-warming interior etc) and traffic updates
Better steering 'feel'
Sound of the 6 cylinder engine

M140i Cons/doubts:
Rear wheel drive safety in adverse conditions
Smaller feeling interior (fitting a child's forward facing seat in the rear)
Boot shape/ size (for fitting a [largish] pushchair)
Running costs/ MPG
Insurance slightly higher

I appreciate this is an Audi forum and there will be bias, however, I'm happy to hear views of improvements from S3 to the facelift S3 and also any experience of M140i

Thanks people!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Jassyo06
Ive done the same as you 8vS3 to RS3 and now waiting on another S3
The 1 series doesn't do it looks wise for me and don't like the interior.
I do like the 2 series coupes looks though.

Reactions: Benji34 and GRE57Y
I know what you mean... I think the M140i is far more subtle and blends in to the rest of the 1series range.
The RS3 was great and I fear going back to an S3 will feel odd and be a massive anti-climax after waiting for a factory order. The two Series looks great but I need the rear doors unfortunately. The spec of S3 would be fairly basic too, if only be adding Tech Pack Advanced, Hill Hold and crystal Paint... for the same money I'd get a few extras with BMW such as Adaptive Dampers to name one.

Reactions: hood
If you change cars a lot then best not to spec too high as you don't get much back on the options anyhow.(exception pan roof).

This will be a 3/4 year car this time.... instead of a 3 quarters of a year car! So long as I get my decision right haha!

I won't have the money to buy myself out (again!) lol

Reactions: Joetidman
Have an S3 on order having owned two M135i BMW's from new. The first was an auto which suffered from the famous 1 series gear box whine and the second a manual which suffered from a engine running issue. Discounts are very strong, around 7 to 8 k. I enjoyed my 1 series for the brief time we spent together. If you do go 1 series spec adaptive dampers. Other than that they are a nice package but don't expect great steering feel as they are a bit remote.

Rear seat room better on the S3 sport back - was the reason I went with the A3 rather than the 1 series (more room for car seats)

140 and 240 are fast, many clips of them passing M2 after it initially gets away.

TX.

Sent from my STV100-4 using Tapatalk

I have some sympathy for you here. I've had an 8V S3 previously and was all set to buy a M140i. I was booked in for a test drive, I'd picked my spec, worked all the figures out and knew what discount I should be able to get. I thought I'll call by the Audi dealers the day before the test drive to have a look at an S3 again. Long story short I'm now waiting for my S3 to arrive mid May. :)

I really like the look of the M140i from some angles and in certain colours. I liked the interior and knew it was a good engine. The price was the biggest attraction as it was going to be a lot cheaper than the Audi. I knew the residuals weren't as strong and rear wheel drive put me off a bit. In lovely dry conditions I'm sure they are great, but in wet drizzly Yorkshire I'd rather have the confidence the 4 wheel drive system on the S3 brings. I never even drove the Beemer as the S3 was shouting 'buy me' and I just couldn't resist.

Reactions: AL_B, Daveotto, Audi Bairn and 1 other person
I actually think the 5 door M140i is better looking than the M240i but what l will say is a low specced S3 is a very basic car indeed and Audi's finance rates are rather high compared to BMW's finance is it Alphera? Most of the time it's best to do what you're brain is telling you....>BMW rather than your heart > Audi

Reactions: GRE57Y and Supa Koopa
I agree with this and many times my brain was saying the Audi is ridiculously more expensive and it's just not worth it get the Beemer. Trouble is the wife says I have a big heart and it seems to have won the day. I'm sure I'll regret it when the shine wears off the new car and I see the bank balance each month. :)

Lots of people love their M140i's and I'm sure I would've as well if I'd bought one.

Thanks everyone- good constructive feedback :)
In the meantime, the M140i that I had been deliberating over has apparently now been sold... Perhaps it's a sign.

Reactions: Audi Bairn and Jassyo06
I like the M140 to be honest (even though the M240 is nicer looking to me). The S3 is a bit boring to drive due to it feeling like a front wheel drive car most of the time. I still enjoy it but rear wheel drive for sure is more fun, even xDrive on a BMW is more fun since it is rear biased. The sound of the 4 cylinder in the Audi is way behind the BMW too.

I think the S3 is a better compromise in total though, not as fun to drive but more usable. Bigger back seat (good for those ski trips), better looking compared to the 1 series and more doors than the 2 series. Much nicer interior in the S3 too (in my view), the M140/M240 feels a lot cheaper and older on the inside, especially now when you can get virtual cockpit in the S3. I also find the Audi DSG box to be miles ahead of BMWs automatic.

Reactions: Audi Bairn
I like the M140 to be honest (even though the M240 is nicer looking to me). The S3 is a bit boring to drive due to it feeling like a front wheel drive car most of the time. I still enjoy it but rear wheel drive for sure is more fun, even xDrive on a BMW is more fun since it is rear biased. The sound of the 4 cylinder in the Audi is way behind the BMW too.

I think the S3 is a better compromise in total though, not as fun to drive but more usable. Bigger back seat (good for those ski trips), better looking compared to the 1 series and more doors than the 2 series. Much nicer interior in the S3 too (in my view), the M140/M240 feels a lot cheaper and older on the inside, especially now when you can get virtual cockpit in the S3. I also find the Audi DSG box to be miles ahead of BMWs automatic.

The Virtual cockpit/fancy screen saver is £1400........very expensive and it still does not make the S3 that more modern looking,the slide up centre screen is the A3's trump card...apart from this, l think the A3's interior overall is starting to show its age a little, its over 5 years old,its just lucky that the A class and the 1 series interiors are not much cometition

I think up you are better off with the BMW for one simple reason.

You have already owned an RS3

....and the S3 is always going to be something of an anti-climax ......which will start to niggle.

The BMW is completely different so you wont compare in the same way.

Reactions: Jassyo06 and GRE57Y
I think up you are better off with the BMW for one simple reason.

You have already owned an RS3

....and the S3 is always going to be something of an anti-climax ......which will start to niggle.

The BMW is completely different so you wont compare in the same way.
I think this is where my head is taking me at the moment, so that I've got no pre-conceived ideas or misconceptions... BMW for a different vibe, I just hope it doesn't make me regret leaving Audi or i'll be cancelling in the cooling off period haha!

BMW are a very different vibe.
I have had numerous Golf R, R32s, Audi S3s A4 sports etc. I have Just jumped to my first BMW (M2).

It's very different universe.....although the Mrs has a Cooper S ....so similar controls to that which helps.

I think you will find the 140 a lot more involving than the S3......which you may get bored of having had the RS3.

Saw this happen a while back and it put me off the BMW 1 series:

bmw-jpg.91150

Reactions: Curley89 and Audi Bairn
and :)

Reactions: Audi Bairn, Jassyo06 and Thundercliffe81
The Virtual cockpit/fancy screen saver is £1400........very expensive and it still does not make the S3 that more modern looking,the slide up centre screen is the A3's trump card...apart from this, l think the A3's interior overall is starting to show its age a little, its over 5 years old,its just lucky that the A class and the 1 series interiors are not much cometition

I also think the Virtual cockpit is too expensive when you compare it to VW who offer it standard on the new facelift Golf R. It might be standard across the Golf range, I know the GTI gets it standard too. If you don't want it, its a £0 option.

I also think the Virtual cockpit is too expensive when you compare it to VW who offer it standard on the new facelift Golf R. It might be standard across the Golf range, I know the GTI gets it standard too. If you don't want it, its a £0 option.

My brother and his wife have just ordered a Golf GTD and most of the stuff it comes with I had to spec!

I agree with you yes the A3/S3 interior is not THAT modern. The virtual cockpit just helps it seem a bit more modern as analog dials are just too old school for me, I do not have it in my car but it could swing me towards a S3 for the next car.

The biggest problem I have is that in my mind the competition does not even seem to be trying in the interior department.

I have been thinking of the M2 as a next car (if BMW ever can shake one out for me to test drive) as that might be enough of a drivers car to make me forget about the cons :p.

Reactions: GRE57Y, Audi Bairn and Jassyo06
My brother and his wife have just ordered a Golf GTD and most of the stuff it comes with I had to spec!

Yeah they give winter pack as standard now too, so that's heated seats covered. With the level of discount VW give when the car isn't even out yet makes you consider it. Drivethedeal are already giving over £5k discounts on the facelift Golf R, meaning you can get a new one for cheaper than nearly all Ex-demo S3 Facelifts that got 6k miles on them. Their big problem is the cost of leather seats.

I'm yet to take delivery of my S3 but owned a 135 coupe for as long as I could bear it. Quick no doubt but it literally kept falling apart and was cursed with constant electrical issues. Now I'm sure Audi can produce a substandard car just as easily as BMW but I could not wait to get rid. The Bimmer had the worst paint job I'd seen too, sure it was black and I could have cared for it more but it was just horrible.

I remain to be convinced about the quality of any of the BMW entry ranges. Just purchased a new Tiguan 162/220 over a BMW X1. Thought the X1 was pretty ordinary.

It was quite scary to say he was going in a straight line drag race. I'm sure he'd turned traction control off but still it shouldn't have lost traction and spun like that. My old reactions would never have kept me on the road. :)

Reactions: Audi Bairn and Jassyo06
@GRE57Y - I think the best answer to your question would be to test drive both cars in the wet
May be not as easy as that I know, but with the crappy Uk weather we always have I think the AWD factor would win it for me when making 'progress'

My son's mate has just recently traded in his Golf R for a M140i 5 door. He's so fed up with the BMW traction light coming on in the constant greasy road conditions at the mo, so much so he's thinking of getting rid of the BM

Must admit tho. the BMW 1 series has the looks only a mother could love lol

Reactions: PanamaS3, Audi Bairn and Jassyo06
my S3 has nearly bounced me off a B road on 2 occasions in dry weather

Is one particular bounce point on a local dual carriageway national speed limit road that gets me every time I have started playing the theme tune to Ski Sunday every time I drive back from Harlow!!!!

Cant wait to see what Mag ride makes of it!!!

Reactions: PanamaS3, GRE57Y, Audi Bairn and 1 other person
Is one particular bounce point on a local dual carriageway national speed limit road that gets me every time I have started playing the theme tune to Ski Sunday every time I drive back from Harlow!!!!

Cant wait to see what Mag ride makes of it!!!

Well l am sure yer new Silver breif will ride the pistes /bumps...lol a lot better mate,as it has a wider track/thicker tyre's and mag ride....

Reactions: Daveotto
My son's mate has just recently traded in his Golf R for a M140i 5 door. He's so fed up with the BMW traction light coming on in the constant greasy road conditions at the mo, so much so he's thinking of getting rid of the BM

What is wrong with the traction control light coming on? It just means the system is working as intended :). It happens a lot in the S3 too with slightly wet roads and cold tires, especially with winter tires. It is just what happens when you have above average power.

I remember driving my mothers BMW through 40 cm of fresh snow when we were going on a ski trip, the traction control light was glowing constantly for those 2 hours.

There were also a lot of traction control light in the S3 this winter when going up north a few times, does not really matter. Getting up to speed is not really the problem in any car, getting the car to stop in certain situations is where the problem is, and four wheel drive do not help at that point.

Reactions: GRE57Y
If you don't mind me asking how come you want to change from the A6?

I'd have thought that would be a great motor for covering that sort of mileage.

If you don't mind me asking how come you want to change from the A6?

I'd have thought that would be a great motor for covering that sort of mileage.

It certainly is a comfortable car and quick too. It just feels like I'm driving/sailing a yacht though! Unnecessarily large and I miss the nimble feel of a hot hatch like my S3 and RS3 that I've owned previously... I also get bored of my cars quickly due to the time I spend in them doing so many miles.

Reactions: Ad72 and Audi Bairn
I agree with you yes the A3/S3 interior is not THAT modern. The virtual cockpit just helps it seem a bit more modern as analog dials are just too old school for me, I do not have it in my car but it could swing me towards a S3 for the next car.

The biggest problem I have is that in my mind the competition does not even seem to be trying in the interior department.

I have been thinking of the M2 as a next car (if BMW ever can shake one out for me to test drive) as that might be enough of a drivers car to make me forget about the cons :p.

If you don't like analogue dials - avoid the M2.
I absolutely love my M2. It's the best car I have ever owned by a large margin.

BUT - BMW spent the money on the mechanicals. The interior is not up to Audi standards. And the dials (which you can barely see in some light conditions) is one of the most common issues with owners.

But if you can get a test drive (difficult) and you enjoy driving - you will probably fall in love with it and forgive it all its bad points. It is just intoxicating every time you get in it.

Although our weather down-under, is usually mainly dry, the recent almost 3 weeks of constant rain has had 2 effects. All the UK expats feel at home and the ability of the S3 in the wet has been greatly appreciated. Amazing how much throttle you can use before the traction light comes on. But my next car will be something more 'fun' to drive and if it means i got to relearn what throttle control means all over again so be it :)

If you don't like analogue dials - avoid the M2.
I absolutely love my M2. It's the best car I have ever owned by a large margin.

BUT - BMW spent the money on the mechanicals. The interior is not up to Audi standards. And the dials (which you can barely see in some light conditions) is one of the most common issues with owners.

But if you can get a test drive (difficult) and you enjoy driving - you will probably fall in love with it and forgive it all its bad points. It is just intoxicating every time you get in it.

Yeah, I like driving the S3 too it is just not a car I get in often just to kick it on back roads, not sure I'd do that in an M2 either since it might just be a lack of time.

Anyhow, the biggest con against the M2 is winter usage, not sure I'd like to go on ski trips with it. Also I'd have to solve the whole roof box situation for it too. We will see what happens when I test drive it :).

An update for those that have commented or followed this short thread... so the decision was made... I'm off to the dark side and take delivery of my new BMW M140i tomorrow (on my birthday!) Feelings right now- nervous and excited! Got a good deal on a good spec car so couldn't say no...

Reactions: PanamaS3, Jassyo06 and Tej13