S3 Sportback, mag ride & Eibach Sportlines.

Rob2k68

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Thought I'd create a thread as I've not managed to find much information on this combination and it may also serve as a useful comparison to mag ride and non mag ride clearances and ride height.

Barring any disasters I'm having Eibach Sportlines fitted tomorrow morning so I'll update the thread with new pictures then.

My car has mag ride but is running on the standard 18 " alloys. The saloon has 19" wheels and mag ride as standard, anyone who has the optional 19" wheels on the Sportback as OEM build from new would have also had to tick the mag ride box. I'm lead to believe from what I've read that mag ride equipped cars sit 5mm higher than cars without it. I believe that this is either to facilitate a more comfortable setting when running 19s or to re-address wheel arch clearance as the 19" wheels and 235 tyre combo are 5mm radially larger than the 18" 225 wheel and tyre combo so the gap from tyre to wheelarch should be the same allowing for loading, bump, snow chains, etc.

For now as a point of reference here are the before shots and measurements :-
E44rkVIa

So8D3Eto

Ground to front bumper split line :-
ZCOT1vNI

Front wheelarch fender eyebrow to alloy rim :-
SEfXB0sw

Ground to rear bumper split line :-
kRmTkGme

Rear wheelarch eyebrow to alloy rim :-
bjwwCdJu

Whatever spec your car is suspension wise and wheel tyre combo hopefully the nett drop is what you're looking for so the comparison figures will be what you're looking for.

The Sportlines are quoted as a 25mm front and 20mm rear drop for cars with mag ride and a 20mm front and 15mm rear drop for cars without. From this I'll be looking at 85mm for wheelarch eyebrow to wheel rim both front and rear.

I'll post fitted measurements and pics tomorrow ......

Reactions: S3Gus, AL_B, Simon L and 1 other person
Does the S3 mag ride car sit higher than standard (non mag ride) S3 car? I only ask because as soon as I saw these photo's my immediate thought was that it looks like it sits higher, then read on and saw the sportline springs drop the mag ride more than non mag ride, might just be my eyes lol

Reactions: Rob2k68
Does the S3 mag ride car sit higher than standard (non mag ride) S3 car? I only ask because as soon as I saw these photo's my immediate thought was that it looks like it sits higher, then read on and saw the sportline springs drop the mag ride more than non mag ride, might just be my eyes lol
Definitely sits higher than my hatch! Really is quite easy to see now I've noticed!

Yep I've seen some s-lines sitting better than mine does - think the 19s do a good job of disguising this as the wheels are that bit larger too !

Hopefully tomorrow it'll have a better stance without compromising the ride quality too much.

Reactions: AL_B
Yeah that's probably why it's difficult to notice to be fair; the wheels being 19's fill the arches that bit more! Would be interested to see the stance when you've got everything fitted!

Ok all done :yahoo:

These are what have been fitted :-
URBbK0Aq

To replace these :-
masdl2eV

Installed :-
vfp7X1zO

ayylPZzX

Pics of car (I know it's filthy !!!!!!) :-
KMiyuBeF

PMu4Ij4H

MRLygEsD

The drop :-
FRONT-
oDAJ4EUx

REAR-
firaEBVQ

I'm parked on a different part of my drive with a very slight slope so measurements from ground are no longer useful until I move it into the same position. Measurements to the wheelarch are both 91mm so we're looking at a drop of 15mm front and 20mm rear not what I was expecting or what was quoted but the drop looks soooo much better.

Slight correction from my first post : From the initial measurement of 106 front and 111 rear with the quoted drop of the Sportlines 25mm front and 20mm rear for cars with mag ride I should have expected 81mm front and 91mm rear not both 85mm as I said (brain fade moment!). So I have both 91mm a drop of 15mm front and 20mm rear - the garage technician told me it takes roughly 200 miles for them to fully bed in so I expect when the front has settled under the weight of the engine and after some driving I'll end up with more like the 81mm front 91mm quoted. I'll post an update after 200 miles so probably Monday'ish.

The Drive :-
Well I've only done 50 miles return journey mainly on motorway but after toggling between comfort and dynamic on the suspension setting of the individual profile I'm pleased to report that mag ride is still effective with comfort setting nicely smoothing over joints in raised sections of motorway and changes in surface texture. Over the 'calibrated' speed hump where I live the pogo'ing has been vastly reduced from 3 bounces to 1 1/2 bounces. Still early to say and maybe the placebo effect but the car seems much more planted.

I'll do a VCDS scan later and clear any faults just in case anything was disconnected during the install.

Reactions: AL_B, Simon L, Wondering Soul and 2 others
Glad you like them Rob! I worked all weekend and had the (mis)fortune to be driving home in the early hours on wet roads on both Sunday/Monday and this morning. A section of road I use is dual carriageway broken up by big, undulating roundabouts. In the ******* rain first night, and damp roads the second, I was able to really throw the car around with no understeer, excellent grip and even the odd flick - definitely an improvement. Waiting for a bone dry cool day to go out and play!

Reactions: veeeight and Rob2k68
@batch it had to be done mate after seeing yours! Mine looked on stilts compared to a lot I see and it was one of those things that was starting to annoy lol !! Lots of choice out there and was a bit worried that it may mess up mag ride but seems to be fine.

Chap I spoke to was of the opinion that H&R springs are a bit more track focussed whereas Eibach are a bit more compliant for more road use.

Good to hear that you're having fun chucking yours about a bit - with steering on dynamic it definitely felt a better drive.

Reactions: AL_B and veeeight
Just been out for a quick blat to the petrol station and back the long way home.

New springs, tyres and laser alignment working together have massively transformed the feel of the car. Rather unusually looking forward to the journey to work tomorrow !

Looks good mate, will look better in a week or so when it's dropped a bit more and finished settling.

@Rob2k68 Keep us posted with new pics after a week or so and also feedback on how it drives. Just want to make sure it is not the placebo effect before I take the plunge.

As soon as I do this, a whole raft of mods will follow... I've been so good so far ;)

Reactions: Wondering Soul and Rob2k68
^^ haha me too - must be the 6 month itch !!

Reactions: Forbzeeee
So after almost a week and 250 miles the final drop is ......
the same !!

91mm from the wheelarch eyebrow holding the tape vertical and lining up by sight to the edge of the wheel rim. Exactly the same at all four corners. A confirmed drop of drop of 15mm front and 20mm rear - I don't expect this to change now.

Happy to report that mag ride is as effective as ever. Ride comfort is maybe 15-20% harsher (its very difficult to quantify) which I don't mind as I'm used to this having had all manner of GTI's, Clio Trophy, Type R, etc in the past. It certainly feels a lot more planted and bouncies a lot less. Look wise it's now how it should have left the factory :-

C68EPtHk

Y0z90ktX

jvXy1HaR

Reactions: AL_B and batch
Same feedback as you @Rob2k68 - minimal change in ride quality but grip, turn-in and bounce issues definitely improved. And looks WAY better!!

^^^ Looking very good indeed mate - awesome looking S3 !!

Reactions: batch
Same feedback as you @Rob2k68 - minimal change in ride quality but grip, turn-in and bounce issues definitely improved. And looks WAY better!!

Hi mate, I applaude the look you have achieved, I have the Eibach sportlines to fit to my sportback. It currently has 15mm spacers front and 20mm rear. Not 100% happy with the look, I feel the wheels protrude slightly and wondered what is fitted to this? Mag ride? Spacer size? Thanks mate.

Hi mate, I applaude the look you have achieved, I have the Eibach sportlines to fit to my sportback. It currently has 15mm spacers front and 20mm rear. Not 100% happy with the look, I feel the wheels protrude slightly and wondered what is fitted to this? Mag ride? Spacer size? Thanks mate.
Just springs mate! No mag, no spacers!

Reactions: SJ43
I've considered them but they just seem like too much hassle! Good luck mate!
I'll remove mine while fitting the springs, take some good pics of each stage and compare them, think I may shove the 15mm on the fronts to see... It's gonna be a long day, but they've gotta be right! I'll let you know what I think, but I honestly think the wheels look good slightly within the arches

Reactions: SJ43, Rob2k68 and batch
Hi Liam,

Would it be possible you're able to upload some pictures from each stage? I'm currently in dilemma as to what to go for in terms of springs. I thought I wanted to go with sportlines but in combination with spacers I feel this somehow makes the car look even lower as the wheels are prouder with the arches, hence I think it might be too low for my liking. I'm decided on 12mm and 15mm front and rear, but your car would give me a good idea as to what mine would look like with sportlines + spacers.

Cheers
SJ

Reactions: ah_kiat
Is anyone with an S3 saloon running spacers with or without updated springs?

I am on the fence as whether to buy and fit them so would be really interested to see some difference pictures

Just to keep the thread updated the car developed a squeak from the front when going up and down speed bumps and other fairly abnormal change of surfaces (roadwork ramps), pot holes etc. It was a two part noise like eek-eek so I guess compression and rebound.

I've had this for a month and found it really annoying so the top strut mounts and bearings are being replaced. Car has done 13,500 miles and Eibach springs have been on for 7,000 of them. Will report back once the car comes back. Can't comment whether or not the springs are partly responsible but you don't have to look too far to discover that this is a common complaint for owners of MQB platform cars.

Reactions: pburv and SJ43
Also as a further update here's how the car sits with 19s on that have recently been fitted .....

ISTsQtKk

Reactions: AudiNutta, AL_B, pburv and 3 others
Nice stance. Are the sportline springs linear or progressive?

Cheers. ;o)

The Sportlines are progressive from info on the Eibach site.

Reactions: pburv
@Rob2k68 How do you find the ride height, do you ever scrape on any day to day objects?

Reactions: pnicholas79 and Rob2k68
@Rob2k68 How do you find the ride height, do you ever scrape on any day to day objects?

Hi mate, no never any rubs, scrapes or height issues parking forward facing a kurb. Was one of my first mods so must have well over 20,000 miles on them now.

Hi mate, no never any rubs, scrapes or height issues parking forward facing a kurb. Was one of my first mods so must have well over 20,000 miles on them now.

Hi Bud,
Brilliant thank you. I just put a thread up now, prior to finding yours about springs and someone commented saying that it was difficult to get over speed bumps in his previous car.

Thought you'd be the best to ask, it has to be function over form. I don't want to feel like I have ruined the car by doing it, but I do want to reduce that arch gap. Looking at my latest photos of the car it doesn't look like there is much there, but on different angles the gap is huge.

Next worry is whether I will have any warranty issues if I have it done outside of Audi :/

Hi Bud,
Brilliant thank you. I just put a thread up now, prior to finding yours about springs and someone commented saying that it was difficult to get over speed bumps in his previous car.

Thought you'd be the best to ask, it has to be function over form. I don't want to feel like I have ruined the car by doing it, but I do want to reduce that arch gap. Looking at my latest photos of the car it doesn't look like there is much there, but on different angles the gap is huge.

Next worry is whether I will have any warranty issues if I have it done outside of Audi :/

After 6 months of ownership I got bored and went on a mod frenzy !!

With any mod in respect of warranty be prepared to waiver the warranty on that system unless you know a friendly Audi tech or are prepared to swap the original parts back should there be an issue. Have the work done at a respected VAG independent.

Reactions: AL_B and AudiNutta
The wet weather today let me find the limits of grip (at low speeds) and I can't say I am impressed.

Some if it might be the dreadful Bridgestone tyres, but this suspension is not good at all. I can cope with the standard Audi understeer, but the bounciness is just not good, even in dynamic. Very disappointed in how Audi have setup this car.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The wet weather today let me find the limits of grip (at low speeds) and I can't say I am impressed.

Some if it might be the dreadful Bridgestone tyres, but this suspension is not good at all. I can cope with the standard Audi understeer, but the bounciness is just not good, even in dynamic. Very disappointed in how Audi have setup this car.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You don't seem to be getting on with it ;)

I know, I'm just not gelling with it at all. :sadlike: Its modify suspension or sell.

Give it a chance, you will settle in... they are great cars. On the plus side, you've figured the gearbox ;)

Reactions: Rob2k68 and AL_B
I know, I'm just not gelling with it at all. :sadlike: Its modify suspension or sell.

Can't remember exactly what I paid the receipt is at work but think it was £440 supply and fit then maybe an extra £40 for alignment. Just working the numbers if you take a punt and then decided to sell revert back to standard springs should go for £150 another £240 labour and you'll be maybe £500 out of pocket but at least you've tried.

Of course best case scenario is that you'll be very happy with the improvements and keep the car ;o)

Can't remember exactly what I paid the receipt is at work but think it was £440 supply and fit then maybe an extra £40 for alignment. Just working the numbers if you take a punt and then decided to sell revert back to standard springs should go for £150 another £240 labour and you'll be maybe £500 out of pocket but at least you've tried.

Of course best case scenario is that you'll be very happy with the improvements and keep the car ;o)

I had a quote from my independent, 5 hours labour and £360 plus £99 for wheel alignment :lmfao:

I didn't dignify that with a reply, that's just labour.

I had a quote from my independent, 5 hours labour and £360 plus £99 for wheel alignment :lmfao:

I didn't dignify that with a reply, that's just labour.
Digging up an old thread here whilst doing some research as I am considering getting springs.

Was quoted the following earlier for installation: It would be 6.50 hours labour @ £56 per hour which is £364.00 plus Vat = £436.80. On top of this you then would need a four wheel laser alignment which is £80.00 plus Vat =£96.00 So a overall total of £532.80

Ow.......

2Hr job at the most plus alignment I paid £300 for labour new top mounts, bearings and alignment + £150 for a set of Eibach pros that I got from a random German site.

TotalVAG did the work they were great ....

www.total-vag.co.uk

You will also probably want to take it to @DJAlix to get the magride calibrated....

Last edited:
Digging up an old thread here whilst doing some research as I am considering getting springs.

Was quoted the following earlier for installation: It would be 6.50 hours labour @ £56 per hour which is £364.00 plus Vat = £436.80. On top of this you then would need a four wheel laser alignment which is £80.00 plus Vat =£96.00 So a overall total of £532.80

Ow.......
You can say that again!
With a decent set of tools they're fairly easy tbh.
I've always done my own on the drive, which must be a dozen times at least now and it's a 2-3hr job even without the use of a 4 poster!
4 wheel hunter alignment runs to £65
I know some people aren't comfortable or interested in DIY but at those prices you can buy some very nice tools and have change for a weekend break lol!

Reactions: oli356 and T-800