S3 speed limited to 155 ?

willmac

Reaction score
I note that the speed is limited to 155 mph on all documentation for the new S3. How is this done ? And what do you need to do to be able to disable this ? I know that 155 would be more than quick enough for me but I am just curious.....:confused:

Thanks Wesley,
Yes i was just curious and thought that may be the case. I note you have a Giac hammer map, I am new to Audi and so am just getting familiar with the various remap options. I note you are up to 330bhp, is that just a 1 stage upgrade ?

Yep, the S3 is electronically limtied to 155mph (always showed as about 170 on the analogue speedo and 168 on the digital speedo on mine).

It was always a surprise to me how quick the 100 to 155 dash was - I will have to try it again post remap!!

Yep, the S3 is electronically limtied to 155mph (always showed as about 170 on the analogue speedo and 168 on the digital speedo on mine).

It was always a surprise to me how quick the 100 to 155 dash was - I will have to try it again post remap!!

Just dont do it on the public roads then.

I got 179 displayed on my speedo on the autobahn after I bluefinned it.

1137.jpg

1137.jpg

I was laughing at this staz very funny i would like to try it me think's , I need an s3

1137.jpg
Dont mean to be funny, & dont shout me down ( again). I like what i see. However you must be nuts to post anything like that on a forum. I hope for your sake that you were where you said you were. The bizzies have date, time & speed on photo, courtesy of yourself. They only need your mobile number to track your exact location at that exact moment, if it was in this country. Your nicked!
There are several case histories from you tube in similar circumstances that have resulted prosecution.
Dont suppose anyone would be that silly though.

^^^ You missed an important word in his post. This really was the Autobahn. Makes a change I know. Edit to add: Paul he was running three GPS I think, but I can't remember the actual speed; I am sure Staz will fill in the blank in a bit. He also has a vid on YT of this run.

Last edited:
There's a slight flaw to your group of evidence. Who says his mobile was in his pocket at the time? Who says it's him driving? Who says it's his car in the photo?

So if I post this photo, am I at risk of being prosecuted for doing 200mph in my Corvette?

IMG_0382.jpg

Yup...no corvette ever did 200....Call the fraud squad !

This is the best i could manage..
155 at 2000rpm in cruise :)
speedo3-1y.jpg

and its still showing 36mpg !

they have limit on 155??? didn't know that. i did with mine way over that and only mod at the time was forge CAI. maybe my car is a big fat liar!

they have limit on 155??? didn't know that. i did with mine way over that and only mod at the time was forge CAI. maybe my car is a big fat liar!

Despite their claims, Audi's limiters are not at 155mph. Not on standard S3s or RS6s anyway.

(I'm talking about actual speed too, not displayed speed)

When you buy a new RS car from Audi you can opt to have the limiter increased to 174mph by them these days I believe...

Can't wait to change up to the S3....... I'd forgotten how much fun and banter a performance car can bring looking at these posts ! I am afraid the 2.0 TDi , as good a car as it is, does not evoke the same passions.

Hope to be able to get that needle dancing in the red zone on the Autobahn very soon :)

Ive had mine up to 165Mph, and it has not been chipped. Not quite sure why that would be the case as the limiter should have kicked in

Ive had mine up to 165Mph, and it has not been chipped. Not quite sure why that would be the case as the limiter should have kicked in

Combination of a generous limiter and a generous speedo? Mine goes up to 165 too :laugh: totally different car, but supposedly limited to 155 as well

Sorry for the late reply guys, I have been a little busy. Yes Mr Angry the video was actually captured on the autobahn. You can see that it is from the video:

I also had a Garmin Streetpilot 330c which displayed 168mph and a Garmin eTrek H GPS which said 165mph.

Last edited by a moderator:
It was stable as anything. Yeah I had to concentrate on the tiniest steering adjustment but the car felt totally planted
S3-Lamin2.gif

I did top speed runs in my 2.0TQ and my CTR before that and both felt a bit dodgy above 140. In the S3 you can't even tell how fast you're going. I've been above 150 many-a-time with my misus in the car and she never bats an eyelid!

I've seen one doing 302kph (187mph) on the net, must be a true 170+ then. I thought the speedo would be miles out at that speed its less than 10% (6.1%) The 302 vid shows it revving past 7k, what is the actual top speed on the limiter does anyone know? Also would a Revo map (1,2, or 2+) raise the standard rev limit at all?