S3 Sold, Off To Pastures New!

geefunk1978

Reaction score
Website
www.gtdesignsolutions.com
So I sold my S3 today, glad I held on to it and didn't crumble and take the part ex price I was offered. Worked out perfectly as new car is being picked up on Wednesday. For anybody ordering one, spec is what it's all about for resale. Apparently it was the super sports seats that sold mine so easily so just a note for future owners!
I'm also surprised at how well its held its value over the last 9 months. I had some awefull trade offers, so glad I didn't take one of them and held out for a private sale. It had only done 3k miles so was pretty much as new, but it only lost about £2k from new in the end.
Met some nice folk on here so will still poke my head in from time to time.

Reactions: RYuill and voorhees
New car?

Why did you sell?

SSS are a good resale point.

There's a few reasons for selling. The first is I just don't use it much, we've got a 1yr old little girl and it's a nightmare getting her in and out with it being a 3 door. I tried to change the spec to a sportback but it was too late so thought we could live with it, I was wrong. The car's done 3k miles in 9 months!
The other reason is it's just not very exciting to drive. Very capable, but it doesn't excite me at all. It's not the sort of car I get out of and want to get straight back in and go for a drive. Even at stage 2 it still wasn't overly exciting.
I've got an A45 AMG I'm picking up on Wednesday. It's like they made that car for me at this moment in time. I know they split opinions, but it's perfect for me.

Unfortunately a 3dr would never work with a kid that young, gratz on the new purchase.

I'm easily pleased, as long as it works I'm happy :thrashi:

congrats. hope to you see on the dark side in about 4 months

For the people that are interested, and yes I know it's an Audi forum, I picked up the A45 yesterday. 1 word. Epic.
It gives me the buzz already that the S3 just couldn't give me. It sounds like a Group N rally car with the AMG performance exhaust. If only Audi would let you pick options like 19" wheels and upgraded brakes with red calipers.
Here's a few pics anyways for those interested. Only done 70 miles so can't really comment on the power yet as it's got a strict run in period for 1000 miles.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1409848520418600

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1409848529299943

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1409848539050767

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1409848548667201

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1409848555853102

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1409848566884939

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1409848576652386

Reactions: Martinbanshee, Micromecca, The Engineer and 10 others
Does the amg have tablet stuck to the dashboard like an old sat nav?

Interesting switch and hope you enjoy the new car.

It will be interesting to see if VW make the R400 which I think will be a worthy contender against the A45 AMG.

Brilliant mate. Awesome car.... I'm a massive fan of them I feel it's unfair people compare the s3 to them as the rs3 when it arrives would be more of a comparison.
Yeh don't worry about it being an Audi forum you get an album of vids and pics posted! ;-)

Sean

And a special key fob..... something us S3 owners were promised in the early brochures, but never materialised. Just a boring standard key fob. Even the Golf R owners have a difference key fob to the rest of the Golf's !

Very nice, and love the colour.....but I hope the dealer filled up your fuel tank before handover!

Nice pal. Got any interior pics?

Nope there wasn't a great deal of fuel in it to be honest but nevermind. Shell V Powered her on the way home anyways. Yes the key fob is a lovely touch, came in it's own AMG box!
Not got any interior pics yet, yes the screen is attached to the dash which is probably the only let down interior wise, but I'll forgive that for everything else! You get a lot more standard equipment than the S3; Recaro bucket seats, auto lights and wipers, parking sensors front and rear, auto parking, interior light pack, rear tinted windows. So anyone who says it's expensive if you add that kit to the S3 it'll cost quite a lot.

Reactions: veeeight
Good luck with the new car mate.

Thanks again for all of you help when I had problems with my door. I have no doubt that it got things resolved quicker!

Reactions: geefunk1978
That's a dark little monster, they have a nice roar too. Upload some interior pics if possible.

Looks real nice geefunk, go enjoy it mate!! A few interior shots would be good tho!

I think this could well be my next car...... ;)

Reactions: geefunk1978
Nope there wasn't a great deal of fuel in it to be honest but nevermind. Shell V Powered her on the way home anyways. Yes the key fob is a lovely touch, came in it's own AMG box!
Not got any interior pics yet, yes the screen is attached to the dash which is probably the only let down interior wise, but I'll forgive that for everything else! You get a lot more standard equipment than the S3; Recaro bucket seats, auto lights and wipers, parking sensors front and rear, auto parking, interior light pack, rear tinted windows. So anyone who says it's expensive if you add that kit to the S3 it'll cost quite a lot.

odd swap though as I drove one and there is a lot less space, lcd screen was laughable, rear visibility is truly awful. It was quite nice to drive and agree the engine sound from the s3 is pathetic

Now they are nice sport seats!

I sense some tacky plastic in there, why Mercedes do this I don't know!

Overall looks a nice place to be.

Very nice!
I specced one up...... Same colour.... And was no 1 on the waiting list before they were available. Different wheels though.
If the pathetic dealers had been interested, I would have bought one. I kept phoning up to see where things were up to.......and each time the member of staff I previously dealt with had left and there was no record of my interest. And I also knew a lot more about the car then they did. Pathetic.
I actually went in one weekend to sign the order, waited over an hour to see someone and left. Also Merc wouldn't do PCP and at that time and 3rd party quotes were expensive.
I just went to Audi and bought the S3 instead.

Apart from that, my only issue was that I wished they did it as a 3 door.

Enjoy it!

Last edited:
Whether its an Audi forum or not that's one nice sporty motor car and I think we all appreciate those whatever the badge.

Keep us up to date with how ownership goes.

Reactions: geefunk1978, J6YAK, veeeight and 1 other person
I must admit my dilemma has been between these 2 cars for a while now, the AMG is substantially more money though and I keep asking myself is it worth the extra, I am sort of sitting on the fence to see how soon RS3 is out.

I personally don't think you'll see a new RS3 for about another year at the very least.
I think the difference between my S3 and the A45 in price was about £6k. Which isn't a vast amount of money to be honest! People saying they're £50k are hugely specced cars with ridiculous options you'd never need. I've simply gone with the sports options (performance exhaust and steering wheel, 19's, red calipers) and a pano roof and Harmon Kardon (which is miles better than the B&O) as it's a desirable option come selling. The tech is nice to have, but let's be honest would you ever use it really?!

Reactions: Brett Butler
Thanks, I was told yesterday that it is pretty certain that the Club Sport A3 will be released, although that is a little over the top for me, I have an S3, I know there is a huge leap in the new one and previous platform (mine). My one is stage one, so the performance difference I would guess will not be a great deal of difference, so a little disappointing, although I would guess the New S3 would have far better bottom end torque?

How hard is the ride in everyday use on our lovely roads?

Now that clubsport A3 would be a serious proposition, bet you're talking £55-60k tho easily. The ride in the A45 is firm but planted. Not had chance to throw it about yet. Feels firmer than the S3 and the brakes are something else. Something the S3 lacked with single piston calipers, shocking on a 300bhp car really!

G.. I specd mine almost the same way minus the amg performance steering, budget couldn't make it. I do have the amg seats and performance exhaust, pano and HK both of which are a must for hatch and premium car alike. I made the argument in an earlier thread what would you buy if both cars were the same price? For me that decision was easier once I drove the A45amg. My test drive was underwhelming at first but there was just something so compelling about the car. The two things that the S3 did not give me was 1) seating position - way too high for a sports car, all great cars have that cockpit feel for a driver and AMG have absolutely nailed it with the A45. and 2) overall chassis rigidity - S3 way too wobbly for me and I know it was engineered for comfort. I was expecting the A45amg to be unusually stiff but Amg have done an excellent job with the damping esp with the std suspension. When you sit in an A45amg, it does not in anyway feel like a fixed up A - class in anyway, it feels like you are in a proper sports car.

Looks good that does.
Seats look fabulous, although not sure about the dash, but then again only a minor thing that you will soon not even notice.
I'm sure it will excite more than the S3! Had a SLK AMG and it was epic. HK is very, very good.
Enjoy!

I need to look again only had a brief look when they were first out over here, Dash, and Sat Nav screen is quite a low priority for me, I know lots hate them.
Maybe Deals can be had on them now they been out a while. :)

Honestly don't think there's many deals still, Mercedes know it'll sell so they don't discount. I got a decent deal as my wife works for Stratstone.
I personally didn't give a toss about the sat nav screen, very low on my list of priorities!