S3 + Snow

S90GAV

Reaction score
where i work is quite high up and in the winter the snows quite bad, So i was wondering how you found the S3 too drive in the snow?

Was alright in Germany, fairly sure footed

Wouldnt go trying to break speed or stopping records tho

S3s are fine in the snow so long as you drive with some respect for the conditions and your own safety

fair one, just my two previous A3's were terrible.

When we were at the ring in April it snowed very heavily:
DSCF2342.jpg

The main roads cleared very quickly but the smaller ones around the hotel etc didnt, I must say that my ESP did stay on as I wasnt about to complicate matters

If Id gone out trying to wheelspin etc then Id have probably lost it very quickly, tyres will make a big difference in the amount of grip you have, hence the Germans have a set of Snow/Winter Tyres on spare steel rims for the winter months

only really driven in snow once in the S3 but I found it better with the esp off, especially going up hills. With it on the car felt to get confused and my speed dropped ( with esp on) as soon as I switched it off the car started to pick up speed up the hill.

like I say havn`t done much but that method got me up a steep drive in the lakes one year

I'm pretty sure the Manuel say esp off in the snow

May well do, I was having serious trouble pulling away without it on as the wheels just spun up, my car doesnt like you feathering in the clutch alot!

Was a giggle in one of the open carparks but not the desired effect I wanted when I pulled out onto main roads!

These don't really show how bad the roads were, but it was great fun, yet again I don't see the point of ESP in the S3 (not that mine has it). Some of the roads a friends 335i couldn't make it up the hills however carefully he tried so we ended up pushing his car whilst me and the guy in front in his S2 had no issues at all (still driving sensibly though). At one point I got out of the car because of an accident further up and nearly fell over as I was stood on sheet ice, car still pulled away fine and found just about enough grip.

I think the best advice would still be to get winter tyres and snow chains if you're expecting a lot of snow!

Started off like this:
DSC_0001.jpg

Then got like this within about an hour later:

DSC_0046.jpg

They go pretty well in snow. I'd turn ESP off as it does seem to confuse it. If your lucky you might even get the back end stepping out!

Roll on winter? Pffft. I'd rather not.

Gets tiring when its double figures under 0.

I don't like the snow either, it's other peoples driving that concerns me, every time i slow for a round about etc....i'm checking my mirrors just waiting for someone to rear end me.....:sadlike:

In almost 9 years of ownership I have only ever seen our S3 in the snow once, interestingly while pulling off the drive it would spin diagonally opposite wheels.

lol looks like fun. Ill admit I did have my car sideways on the ice this year. Not as cold as Finland but did get to -14 here the other day, no snow though!