S3 + snow

Other than the other day when I managed to beach the front of the car on the drive (about a foot of snow!) mine has not missed a beat even with worn normal tyres!

Back on the 18th January onwards, I had to take a trip from South London into the heart of Sussex in that heavy (for UK) snow we had. I'm not overly confident with drifting/playing, maybe would be if I'd have bought an old nail 8L S3 instead of a brand new BE! However I am competent at "normal" snow driving. The car, running Bridgestone RE050As, was superb. Even to the point I was having a little bit of a play on the open country B-Roads! The only time I came unstuck was actually parking the car on the sloped car park outside my flat that evening, when the ****** wouldn't stay still and nearly slid into (should that be THROUGH!) a neighbour's FIAT 500. That was worrying as I had the car in reverse and on the gas as it did so! Ended up doing a quick steer out, going round the block and parking on the flat!
Overall I was SO impressed, just wish for more and some emptier large roads to start testing my drifting more!

Reactions: Kelza
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1364412765951896

My s3 hasn't missed a beat. Awesome in the snow.

So I think the long and short of this thread is that _Zerocool_ there's something wrong with your car ;)

My car has always been awesome in the snow. I go down roads that only people in 4x4s normally venture.

Your manual says you should turn the ESP off in the snow with Quattro.

My S3 on Conti sc/2/3's with 6mm fronts and 5mm rears,has been excellent in the snow and ice.
Have always fitted winters on the bmw but not an issue with the S3.Have been well impressed.:icon_thumright:

So I think the long and short of this thread is that _Zerocool_ there's something wrong with your car ;)
I can't see how that can be the case. all 4 wheels were spinning so it must be the tyres but thanks for your helpful post. now fitted with winter tyres all round and is as good as i thought it should have been

I can't see how that can be the case. all 4 wheels were spinning so it must be the tyres but thanks for your helpful post. now fitted with winter tyres all round and is as good as i thought it should have been

but there was something wrong with your car..... the tyres!!

Your manual says you should turn the ESP off in the snow with Quattro.

only if you get stuck and it wont allow you to move, with my a6 driving fast on snow/ice with the esp off was dangerous as it would spin the wheels and slide even with snow tyres on,

with the esp on you can drive like an idiot and its just 10% tail happy if you stab it lol, also when towing cars up hills you can use full throttle and the tc & esp does all the work and keep the grip maxed

My 2010 S3 Sportback is absolutely pants in even the shallowest of snow. Running on OEM Bridgestone RE050A's. I think the Haldex or Quattro is misfunctioning - the front wheels slip even on full power from a standstill in the dry. Anyone had experience of Haldex / Quattro "breaking" in an 8P S3 ?

why would you expect from summer tyres to be great on snow??

TBH my Quattro has cheap as **** summer tyres on at the moment ... it has been awesome in the Sheffield snow, going where most didn't dare. It was me, land rovers, imprezas, Hilux and Evos all having fun.

Then I got a bit brave, headed down a steep hill with about an inch of packed ice. Needless to say, things got sketchy pretty quick and ended up sideways sliding down the road with the backend trying to go first.

Slapped it in to reverse, traction control off, reversed up the hill like a boss. Only my own stupidity let me down, the car never did ... even on (really really) cheap tyres.

only if you get stuck and it wont allow you to move, with my a6 driving fast on snow/ice with the esp off was dangerous as it would spin the wheels and slide even with snow tyres on,

with the esp on you can drive like an idiot and its just 10% tail happy if you stab it lol, also when towing cars up hills you can use full throttle and the tc & esp does all the work and keep the grip maxed

This brings me to a question. While playing in the snow, I got stuck. And I mean really stuck. So I was trying to get out ... just as I was about to disengage ESP to spin my way out ... it switched itself off. After I was unstuck, it came back on.

Is this a fault? I mean, it was super helpful and came back on when I found proper road again. Just seems like voodoo.

my old astra did that last month before the s3, spinning up the hill spinning spinning etc etc, after a min of spinning (not flat out just crawling up the hill) the abs light come on along with traction control light got to the top mile down the road and they went off :/ s3 would have ****** all over the hill :)

My 2010 S3 Sportback is absolutely pants in even the shallowest of snow. Running on OEM Bridgestone RE050A's. I think the Haldex or Quattro is misfunctioning - the front wheels slip even on full power from a standstill in the dry. Anyone had experience of Haldex / Quattro "breaking" in an 8P S3 ?
I'm still a bit surprised by that,but I'd lay the blame at least in part at those Bridgestones,which have poor grip and a very hard compound.
I'm betting mine runs a lot more power than yours,and on Michelin PS3's,PS2's and Goodyear F1's,it's been fine.but the OEM Bridgestones are rubbish.

Turns out the Haldex oil pump had gone. Audi replaced the part free of charge as a goodwill gesture.

Reactions: Compkiler
I live in Norway and we really have hard Winters with much snow here. And my lowered S3 with 19" Nokia R winter tyres, really is a beast in the snow. only who can stop it is when snow is really deep and wet.(this is becous of low ride hight.) So the problem must be either your tires or somthing wrong with Haldex.

see this was a old thread now!;)

Reactions: Compkiler