s3 slow

honda ctr

Reaction score
TFL Behind the Scenes of the 2015 Audi S3 vs BMW 228i Drag Race Surprise...:

******** - I've never seen an s3 that slow!

Reactions: RYuill and 0B1001001
lol, wonder what LC is for, many years ago on a modified V8 auto, I had a 2000rpm stall convertor, the 1980s version of LC, that concept would probably have confused those guys as well

It's probably the S**t fuel they have in the States. Their average octane is about 89 so thats about 100 less than ours. The lower octane is probably more suited to the BM.

I realise there are a lot of incredulous S3 drivers on this forum, but look at the facts:

1. BMW weighs 3345lbs, S3 3450lbs
2. BMW power 240bhp, S3 292bhp (USA)
3. BMW torque 255 lbft, S3 280lbft (USA)
4. The S3 engine in the USA is different to the EUR engine, its missing a whole row of indirect injectors
5. AWD losses vs 2WD
6. The biggest difference is that the launch is done without launch control, in a S-tronic.

0-60 in a S3 S-tronic without launch control, is slower than S3 manual - because you have zero boost in the turbo. It's not surprising that the lighter BMW (105 lbs less) pulls ahead in this test - in the dry, on a grippy surface ;)

Power:Weight
BMW: 13.9
S3: 11.8

Last edited:
Reactions: Liquidfusion-S3
It's probably the S**t fuel they have in the States. Their average octane is about 89 so thats about 100 less than ours. The lower octane is probably more suited to the BM.

That's just the average. The AKI 91/RON 95 fuel recommended by Audi is readily available in North America, as is AKI 94 Shell V-Power, so I don't think it was the fuel.

I'd say veeeight has assessed the reasons quite well.

& the winner of that race is ... BMW

Still wouldn't want A BM tho' ;) :D

:s3addict:
Amen, BH. If speed alone was the determining factor in choosing a car I'd have a Koenigsegg One in the garage!

0-60 in a S3 S-tronic without launch control, is slower than S3 manual - because you have zero boost in the turbo. It's not surprising that the lighter BMW (105 lbs less) pulls ahead in this test - in the dry, on a grippy surface ;)

Yet another reason to get a manual :D

Reactions: cuke2u
can't believe all that tosh, the engines must ene different in the US. I have S3 saloon (1500 miles) and a z4 (same 2.0 242 bhp engine marked 2.8) albeit a manual in Z4 compared to S tronic and I can tell you now that S3 is a lot faster off the mark. both running 19 inch wheels and same fuel, Z4 is lighter - lighter that that 228 I would think.

there is only 13000 miles on the z4 and no jokes about my gear changing.

real world on our lovely UK roads and I haven't even tried launch control yet!

God damn I not tried launch control yet.
Neither have I, down-town Sydney is not the ideal spot for testing out LC, and the wife on the odd country run, would not be impressed.

Reactions: Cymru09 and The Challinor
Not sure I am really following the logic in this thread:-
Power:Weight
BMW: 13.9
S3: 11.8

So the S3 is significantly better?

Yet another reason to get a manual :D

Only if you can change each gear perfectly and time the launch just right. Good luck

A 0-60 drag race is the only situation in which S-Tronic with launch control is faster then? Is the manual faster in all other real world driving situations. I drive a manual but this does not sound right.

I am well aware they are not times. I even checked your division. The higher the power and the lower the weight the smaller the ratio surely? The S3 has the lower ratio on your division of weight/power and is thus better?

Should really compare bhp/tonne to make it meaningful.- so:

228i - 160 bhp/tonne
S3 - 186.6 bhp/tonne

(In comparison, a Caterham R400 has 396 bhp/tonne.)

So - it must come down to the gearing and the turbo lag as to why the S3 in the video did not accelerate as fast as the BMW.

So the power to weight ratio reasoning was not correct and the turbo lag on a S3 really is not that bad, barely noticeable if the gears are used correctly. Looks like too much easy derision of Audi products over those coming out of Wolfsburg or Munich which seems to have become the hallmark of this forum. As has already been suggested above this is more likely down to the difference between the two drivers. (I did not even bother to watch yet another drag race video).

So the power to weight ratio reasoning was not correct and the turbo lag on a S3 really is not that bad, barely noticeable if the gears are used correctly. Looks like too much easy derision of Audi products over those coming out of Wolfsburg or Munich which seems to have become the hallmark of this forum. As has already been suggested above this is more likely down to the difference between the two drivers. (I did not even bother to watch yet another drag race video).

Both cars were autos, so all the drivers had to do was to mash the throttle into the carpet.

Plus: bhp/tonne is taking the flywheel figure, so another factor is the AWD drivetrain losses of the S3 ..... compared with 2 wheel drive of the BMW.

And the S-tronic-non LC and turbo lag consideration.

Last edited:
Hmm? Thought about that a bit more. I drive a manual, given the comments from others re the S-tronic without launch control (when pulling out from junctions) maybe turbo lag is a good reason.

It's a large factor.

You lose half a second in the first 0-30 mph sprint if you start without launch control.

With LC 0-50kmh 1.7s
Without LC 0-50kmh 2.3s