s3 slow on pull of

Sham101

Reaction score
my s3 99 plate apy engine pulls of slow then whosh full trottle responce any probs its had a new clutch not more than 1000 miles old

What revs are we talking about? Below 2000 revs its seems these can be a little sluggish before the turbo starts to spool.

Checked things like air filter, fuel filter? Does it feel like it all the time or every now and again?

i am an m3 man have had lots of good and some bad but tought will try someting diff but s3 if its slow like that then got to get rid

the car is a 99 v reg full s h also haldex service has been done twice 68.000 miles the car is mint but carnt get around the fact it pulls
off the way it does

Are you attempting to summon Lord Tuffty? by shouting his name spelt incorrectly? This isn't facebook dude, tags don't work :laugh:

If on the other hand you are implying that this is a toughy, then you spelt that wrong too :laugh:

Don't mind me though, it's early, it's Friday, and I'm bored so on the wind up.

Honest question: if you're an M3 man typically, you're used to no turbo lag and near instant throttle response.

Are you sure it's not just that you're not used to the delivery of a turbo engine? Off boost it will be reasonably flat, and typically you learn to drive it accordingly, much like you wouldn't rev the crap out of a tdi, you learn the sweet spots.

I'd suggest you try and get a drive in something else with a 1.8T and see if it's comparable to yours, if it's similar, then it's probably just something you'd get used to. If it's noticably better than yours then I'd suggest there is an issue with yours that you havn't yet discovered. I've never noticed any sluggishness to pull away at all, unless you're pulling off in 2nd slipping the clutch and expecting it to pull from 1200rpm

ask any s3 owner, trying to pull quick away with esp on it cuts the power, at roundabouts, junctions and so forth it can be dangerous.

ask any s3 owner, trying to pull quick away with esp on it cuts the power, at roundabouts, junctions and so forth it can be dangerous.

So much for that amazing 4wd system ey :laugh:

My ****ty FWD car pulls away just fine at any pace with could be deemed responsible and within the law

Last edited:
thats why i can just press the ESP to off and disappear in to the distance. the marvels of modern technology

Esp is for pussys, what you want is a manly APY s3 like me without esp, seperates the man from the twats haha.

No B5 tip without esp/so there some benefits to being a pussy

Wellthats wrong mate, ie got no esp and got a b5 tip fitted so dont know were you got that from, just needs a few little tweaks thats it.

No ESP for me, turned it off in VCDS...

OP, whilst giving us a fair list of issues your S3 has, they are pretty vague. See if anyone in your area has VCDS by looking at the map.

Where's Sandra when you need her to link to it..?

The b5 add says esp equipped cars. Thats were it came from. So a few mods an all good. Maybe badger should alter the add to compensate for this?

What's wrong with just pressing the esp button to turn it off? I could understand if it was a fixed thing but it takes the movement of my arm lol :whip: <<< I turn it off a bit like this!

Not sure jezzy but its literally 2 pipes that need altering and all is good.

Clarke mine just hasnt got it so theres nothing to turn on or off, its always off lol.

yep had this before on a roundabout the missies turned around a said you nearly stalled it lol since then its off at the best if times didn't think I could be that bad but it is ESP is s**te

I always turn ESP off... its the next thing I do after turning the key... it was a night mare pulling out of junctions once I was stage 1 mapped... now its totally unpredictable so its stays off... I will code mine out at some point or look into tracking down any tables in the map to see if I can at least tune it but I have no issues with it being off

<tuffty/>

I always turn ESP off... its the next thing I do after turning the key... it was a night mare pulling out of junctions once I was stage 1 mapped... now its totally unpredictable so its stays off... I will code mine out at some point or look into tracking down any tables in the map to see if I can at least tune it but I have no issues with it being off

<tuffty/>

Code it out, takes no time at all and means you don't have to look at the light in the clocks anymore.

Fault code scan first (using VCDS preferably)... there is information in the threads in the stickies where to look for the meaning of the codes then post the data up here..

You say you have a baileys dump valve... if its a DV30 it will be leaking (they all do) if its an atmos valve then bin it.. either way stick a new OE one on...

Sounds like you are hitting limp mode from the brief description here... a list of any mods would be useful too

<tuffty/>