s3 slaughters m135i in drag race, consistently

royalsteve68

Reaction score
interesting....

s3 slaughters m135i in drag race, consistently

Reactions: elpaulio
I f they weren't racing on a dust bowl it would have been a lot closer.
The Audi loses on a track in this Video

Shame the m135i is such a terrible ownership proposition to live with on a day to day basis......S3 the better all rounder

The S3 only has an advantage where traction is an issue for the other car, and in a straight line.

Videos like the one above really annoy me. They make out that people only buy performance cars because there wanna be track day gods, in truth around 90% of m135i's, A45's and S3's will probably never see a track. The closest they will get to a race is at a set of lights doing 0 to 60 or similar stuff on public roads in which case the A45/S3 should perform better due to being AWD and better traction off the line. I don't understand why the motoring press get such a bee in their bonnet about RWD cars.

Chill. The video is over a year old.

The comparison today would be with a M235i ;)

Chill. The video is over a year old.

The comparison today would be with a M235i ;)

I really like the 235i, they are the ultimate sleeper cars. Other than the extra exhaust tip and silver wing mirror cars they looks like a 1/216i, one certainly wiped the smile off my face when driving a works 530d :(

Maybe it's just where I live / how I drive but 0-60 is absolutely irrelevant.

I genuinely can't recall the last time I nailed it from an absolute standstill. Even the thought of doing it in public makes me cringe as it just seems something that only 17 year olds do.

For me it's far more important how quick it is once the car's up to speed e.g. 30-70mph through the gears to pass a tractor, 40 upwards on a slip-road, or 20-60-20 etc. on a nice winding road.

I'd imagine once you strip out the advantage of AWD from a standing start it'd be a lot closer given the BMW's power advantage.

In the wet though it's presumably game over for RWD though..

Reactions: cuke2u
Videos like the one above really annoy me. They make out that people only buy performance cars because there wanna be track day gods, in truth around 90% of m135i's, A45's and S3's will probably never see a track. The closest they will get to a race is at a set of lights doing 0 to 60 or similar stuff on public roads in which case the A45/S3 should perform better due to being AWD and better traction off the line. I don't understand why the motoring press get such a bee in their bonnet about RWD cars.

completely agree. best daily drivers in the uk are awd with fwd being acceptable. sure on a track rwd is more "fun" but I agree how often are most gonna do that, if ever

as a daily driver im happy with my "boring" awd car - to me it means safer in all conditions as I don't want to slide the back end around country lanes

Maybe it's just where I live / how I drive but 0-60 is absolutely irrelevant.

I genuinely can't recall the last time I nailed it from an absolute standstill. Even the thought of doing it in public makes me cringe as it just seems something that only 17 year olds do.

For me it's far more important how quick it is once the car's up to speed e.g. 30-70mph through the gears to pass a tractor, 40 upwards on a slip-road, or 20-60-20 etc. on a nice winding road.

I'd imagine once you strip out the advantage of AWD from a standing start it'd be a lot closer given the BMW's power advantage.

In the wet though it's presumably game over for RWD though..

agree, I rarely floor my car as theres too much traffic. people often say why didn't you get a 1.4 or something lower specced......I just say its nice to drive - why don't you eat asda smart price food rather than your can eat M&S or waitrose food is my response, same applies to clothing. some of us don't want to drive a boring 1.4 with dull looks

its nice to have the power if I want it as it can be useful when used correctly and safetly

in fact I drive my peuegot 307xsi quicker than my s3

Shame the m135i is such a terrible ownership proposition to live with on a day to day basis......S3 the better all rounder

yeh hideous looks, smaller, dull interior, rwd, terrible depreciation

and questionable on limit stability-ask Mr J Clarkson-when one aquaplaned at 120-130mph whilst driving supposedly in a straight line on a track in the wet - for me that's not what id call a good car, though how true this is anyones guess

Wouldnt want the flat cap to come flying off. :D

Reactions: a3_phil
If a car aquaplanes in heavy rain at 120-130mph thats an issue with the tyres and not the car. If the same tyres were on an Audi or a BMW it would do the same given they are both about the same weight.

Reactions: leosayer1
and questionable on limit stability-ask Mr J Clarkson-when one aquaplaned at 120-130mph whilst driving supposedly in a straight line on a track in the wet - for me that's not what id call a good car, though how true this is anyones guess

Most aquaplaning happens in a straight line.

If anyone is put off buying that car because it aquaplaned at that speed on a road with massive puddles of standing water then they're stupid.

I respect Jeremy Clarkson's driving and listen to his opinions but the aquaplaning was his fault for driving so stupidly, not the car's.

Also just to add clarkson had it in sport plus so traction was off. The tyres are what saves the 235i alot in the wet (michelin super sport) had mine for nearly a year and still drive quick in the wet just not in sport plus.

The Clarkson review was bullcrap, I've had an M135i and in the dry it's quicker than the S3 by nearly a second from 0-100 mph

Last edited:
The Clarkson review was bullcrap, I've had an M135i and in the dry it's quicker than the S3 by nearly a second from 0-100 mph

Really ? Seen numerous youtube vid's, GPS timed which always show the S3 quicker to 60 and 100.

Quicker even against x-drive version. S-Tronic does flatter the S3......

Those speedo vids are ridiculous no science whatsoever, I'd like to see a side by side proper drag race. But here Are the book times showing the Audi 2 secs slower to 120 mph. First for the Audi.

And the bmw

Book and real life are very different too. Lots of GPS timed videos support the S3.

Manual might be different but the S-Tronic version (using LC) does have a pretty impressive straight line party price. As I said, the gear box and LC for that matter flatter the S3.

I'm not a massive S3 fan boy btw - had plenty of flack from other members regarding honesty on reporting the S3 shortcomings, but one thing I will stick up for it on is is straight line / off the line speed.

But the M135i has launch control and the ZF is arguably better than the DSG, certainly felt better and many reviewers have picked up how good it is, autoexpress managed a 4.5 to 60 mph in it which as quick if not quicker than any review of the S3's time I've seen. And after the launch all the quattro system is doing is draining power so I'd imagine the M135i would start to stretch away.

yeh hideous looks, smaller, dull interior, rwd, terrible depreciation

I have owned an M135i auto for the past year and only have good things to say about it. Even the looks have grown on me. 300bhp in a rear wheel drive car that weighs 1400 kgs makes it a lot of fun to drive!! I've owned 3 S3's in the past and I've had way more fun in the M135i than the s3s I've owned.

M135i aside, MSL performance I'm Birmingham have a GLA45 amg stage 2. Yesterday they posted a video of it hitting 206mph on a rolling road, I'm pretty sure it's the same engine as the a45/cla45 too.

Yes it is but rolling road speed runs are void, no air resistants which makes a huge difference. They did it to purely prove they have cracked the ECU, they also said their ecu remap yields much better gains than the aftermarket tuning boxes currently for sale although they haven't released figures yet because they are still fettling