S3 Sedan Sepang: Do I drive wrong, where is the BOOM?

Figarro

Reaction score
Hi, I got my new S3 Sedan/saloon yesterday. First thing was that my car had been driven 48km and cardealer said that factory has driven that much, is that true??? And second thing: I got manual and I cant get that BOOM when I switch gears ... I have driven s-tronic and there it was that boom every time when you hit the gas ... so do I drive wrong or ist so that manual do not have that boom?? (sorry bad english). How many km were driven in your car when the car dealer gave it to you??

I can't help you with the engine back fire as I don't have an S3 but delivery miles on mine was 12km. Dealers are allowed up to a certain amount if I'm right in thinking

Hi, I got my new S3 Sedan/saloon yesterday. First thing was that my car had been driven 48km and cardealer said that factory has driven that much, is that true??? And second thing: I got manual and I cant get that BOOM when I switch gears ... I have driven s-tronic and there it was that boom every time when you hit the gas ... so do I drive wrong or ist so that manual do not have that boom?? (sorry bad english). How many km were driven in your car when the car dealer gave it to you??

Only s-tronic will give you the noise on gear change

20 miles on mine but my dealer keeps cars approx 7 miles away in a compound so explains some of it.

The boom / burp / fart / sneeze is an S-Tronic only feature.

The boom / burp / fart / sneeze is an S-Tronic only feature.

Correct. Think about it, the burps only happen because the car knows how long a gear shift can take and adds a drip more fuel than it should through gear change to make the noise. A manual switch of the cogs can take an unlimited and unpredictable about of time so the car couldn't make allowances for the driver.

I may have dreamt it, but someone on this forum suggested that if you flat-shift a manual, it's possible to get a noise/pop/burp/bang/fart on the upshift.....

It could happen in theory I suppose, it's running pretty rich at WOT (12.8:1 ish) so keeping the throttle open could conceivably let fuel laden rich mixture through (or late combustion in the map) ......

Just need someone with a manual box to try this out and let us know :)

edit:
(I know that Rick@Unicorn does a flat shifting map for manual gearboxes for the S38P/S4/RS4 etc.)

More here:
http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/a3-s3-...-switch-launch-control-flatshift-tfsi-s3.html

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a manual and when gunning it as the throttle closes there is a nice boom but it's not the same as the the noise from the S-Tronic.
I'm not going to try flat shifting in this car as I have done in previous cars but that may well produce a similar noise as veeeight suggested.

Anyone else with a manual willing to give it a go?

Isn't flat shifting really bad for a manual gearbox?