S3 Saloon Rear Suspension clunk

I have a TTS (2017) and have the exact same issue.. a thud from the rear when going over 'ridges' in the road up to 35mph.

Now the car has been into Edinburgh Audi 4 times reg. this (They are useless)
Every time they 'can't hear anything' and more recently said that it was normal.

There is a clear THUD but considered normal... very frustrating when I know this problem exists.. as per this thread and many others.

This is crazy as dealers usually like warranty work. Suggest you get hold of the Dealer Principles name and write him a nice little letter expressing your concern over the issue with your car, describing it as a known fault quoting the number, saying that before you raise it with Audi in MK can he look into it.

Alternatively take it to another dealer, who if they accept it will give you a courtesy car when the work is done.

Booked my '16 plate PFL saloon in for investigation as I'm suffering from the same symptoms... watch this space.

If anyone is able to record the sound they are hearing that would be really useful,
Thanks

If anyone is able to record the sound they are hearing that would be really useful,
Thanks

I'll try the next time I'm in the area where I know with no doubt it'll show.

I gave up on this "issue" being "fixed" by the dealer. Audi America apparently hasn't acknowledged it as an issue, and nothing near the dealership brings on the issue, so I get the "can't replicate" as well. I can't really blame them, honestly, but it's still frustrating.

I had this on my first 2015 S3 Saloon, they replaced the bushes in the rear, it was better but still not quiet. My new 2018 S3 Saloon is way better no bumps or clunks at all - they must have changed something in the FL so hopefully you will find a solution.

I have this on my 18 plate A4, heard it from day one and thought it was something in the boot like the wheel compartment lid. Eventually took it to my local dealer on Friday and the problem has been diagnosed as a rear shock mount. As mentioned it's been there from the beginning and the car has still only covered 500 miles. 'Shocking' really! A few of my mates work for Jaguar Land Rover Special Vehicle Ops and they think it's really funny, considering the bad press that JLR get from so called better quality German car manufacturer fans.

Seems to be getting worse for me :( If anyone has a sounds recording of it or any additional info that be great. Couldnt find the TPI before
Thanks

My car has just been into AUDI today for the same noise (FL S3 Saloon MY18). Test drove it with master tech, he could hear what I was talking about and was unsure if it was unusual. He suggested a test drive in another car exactly the same (which I did) to see how I thought it compared which I thought was a good idea. Although I didn’t test drive the other for long, it did also seem quite clunky, so for the moment I am happy it is a characteristic of the car. I came from a PFL A3 Saloon (19s but no mag ride) and the noise on my S3 was instantly recognised with me as different which is why I booked it in.

I don't know if it is of any use, but my FL 2017 S3 Saloon *touch wood* doesn't make any noise suspension wise. Sure over some vicious speed bumps it seems to come down with a crash, but nothing that seems out of the ordinary. So wouldn't say it is a normal noise, regardless what Audi say.

Riding in comfort suspension and have 19" rims and stock tyres.

S3 Saloon FL here, 06/2018 build date and I think that issue occur in my car too. It is noticeable when riding on speed humps like something jump in the boot..

taking mine in for a tech to listen today. Hope it makes a lot of noise!

Reactions: Mark_86
YAY Made the noise. Went back to the garage and i gave the tech the TPI, he went away and said it wasn't on the system against my car VIN.
I was thinking oh noo!
Of his own back he then went away and did a bit of digging and found that all the faulty part numbers were on my car and that he thinks there is a mistake with the TPI they started the VIN number 3000 too late on the document.

So is all booked in for the work to be done next week. Hopefully it solves the issue.

Reactions: Mark_86
Top Mounts replace following the TPI. Noise is still there :sob:
General driving sounds much quieter so maybe it did something but not fixed the sound im getting.
They did re-calibrate the magride though when they changed the top mounts and it does feel a bit more planted.

Booked in again next week.... We shall see

Could the issue be in your head so to speak. I’m ocd about most things and as per my above I thought something was up because it sounded ‘different’ to my last car. Every time I went over a bump I was tuned to thinking ‘that’s not right’. But having heard the noise similar on another vehicle with the tech I rested my mind that this was normal and now I don’t even recognise the noise at all because my subconscience knows it’s the norm. I think a lot of problems are due to this, but not all obviously, just a theory anyway. Hope you get it sorted. Maybe try test driving another car which is the same and compare like I did?

No even the misses noticed it and said whats that noise. Its like a clunking noise, I suspect the shock may be faulty. Its only on one side at the rear. Sounds like a broken land rover.

No even the misses noticed it and said whats that noise. Its like a clunking noise, I suspect the shock may be faulty. Its only on one side at the rear. Sounds like a broken land rover.
Hopefully the techs will get it sorted then if it’s fairly obviously to the ear, fingers crossed!