S3 Saloon - Open for Orders!

A genuine question for anyone who has ordered an S3 - why didn't you go for the S4 instead? I can sort of get the S3 SB for those that need 5 doors, but if you really need the extra space and 5 doors then surely the S4 is a readily available solution (?)

having just ordered an S3 saloon and up until recently was looking at an S4 can give you a personal view:

S3 saloon is:

Better looking than the S4
Has a better interior
Is just as fast but with far better MPG and Tax rate
is only slightly smaller (which suits me as the wife has an SUV so my car is only part time for family)
Is a fair bit cheaper!
Is a newer model and I want an upgrade now
is far less common

I can't believe 1 inch less will completely ruin a car's looks, but there we go :p

True, the 19's were a bonus to me, I expect to have the mag ride in set on comfort on the individual setting when I get in it anyway.

I do wonder how large alloys will get, 10 years ago you'd struggle to spec a high end Beemer in 18's!

Hi, I just heard that I can order sepang colour on my Saloon but it can be order in March 2014 .. so misano or sepang??

Hi, I just heard that I can order sepang colour on my Saloon but it can be order in March 2014 .. so misano or sepang??

Would sepang be an Exclusive paint? Its a lovely colour but I'm not sure I'd pay £2000 more for paint personally, and Misano is really nice

I just don't get why anyone would buy a 4 door saloon when there's a five door hatch available which is more practical and better looking! Four door saloons are very (VERY) dated and I thought the only reason audi even made the new a3 into one was because other markets demanded it. The sales chap I met at Audi last week thinks they'll depreciate very quickly when compared to their equivalent A3 hatch. Good luck...

I just don't get why anyone would buy a 4 door saloon when there's a five door hatch available which is more practical and better looking! Four door saloons are very (VERY) dated and I thought the only reason audi even made the new a3 into one was because other markets demanded it. The sales chap I met at Audi last week thinks they'll depreciate very quickly when compared to their equivalent A3 hatch. Good luck...

Personally because the saloon is much better looking than the SB (personally think it looks a bit frumpy, like a small estate) more exclusive, better balanced car. As for outdated, what about the S4, BMW M3, and Merc bringing out the new CLA? Saloons are more upmarket and mature than hatches IMO. Plus it comes with a bigger boot with the seats up (which suits me given my kids will often be in the back.

As for depreciation, I doubt it'll be an issue at all, in fact I think it will be the opposite, as they will be more exclusive, the A3 saloon is selling well and is only slightly smaller than the very well selling A4. With so many fleet buyers out there I think it'll hold up just fine...

Reactions: S3 AD, cuke2u and Derbz
I think if I had ordered one I'd be saying all that as well :keule: Much better looking - specsavers is what comes to mind and well, you have gone for that horrible dark blue as well.... Saloons upmarket? Lost me there. A coupe maybe, Every time I rent a car and want to save money I ask for a four door saloon. Good luck anyway. Just not for me and I'm not alone in that opinion. My local audi dealer is yet to get a single order for the s3 saloon. Nobody is interested, was what the sales guy told me. Not surprised really. An outdated brick on wheels is how the missis described it :whistle2:

I think if I had ordered one I'd be saying all that as well :keule: Much better looking - specsavers is what comes to mind and well, you have gone for that horrible dark blue as well.... Saloons upmarket? Lost me there. A coupe maybe, Every time I rent a car and want to save money I ask for a four door saloon. Good luck anyway. Just not for me and I'm not alone in that opinion. My local audi dealer is yet to get a single order for the s3 saloon. Nobody is interested, was what the sales guy told me. Not surprised really. An outdated brick on wheels is how the missis described it :whistle2:

Well everyone is welcome to their opinion, and the S3 saloon has got a pretty universally good set of reviews. Personally I'm looking forward to my horrible blue brick on wheels, good luck with your purchase.

That's total rubbish, when you read all of the reviews that state the saloon is clearly the best looking A3 and that it is the most exclusive. At least it isn't an small estate that looks like a Skoda. Yes the market is for **** and in the US, however there is also a healthy market here. Your 'salesperson' is spouting rubbish...

Reactions: Derbz and Joetidman

I can equally be rude about your car, perhaps it is better to keep your opinion to yourself....

Reactions: Joetidman and Derbz
I don't think there is any need to be rude about other peoples choices.
The A3 saloon is like a mini A4 and designed I believe for the Chinese/US market but it is a fine car.
I would be dubious about buying one as there are precedents of saloons not holding value as much as hatches. I would cite the VW Golf vs Bora/Jetta debate. Golfs in hatchback form are in greater demand and hold value better.

Reactions: Joetidman
True, hatchbacks in this country are more popular, however all the other saloons in the Audi range have good residuals...

I don't think there is any need to be rude about other peoples choices.
The A3 saloon is like a mini A4 and designed I believe for the Chinese/US market but it is a fine car.
I would be dubious about buying one as there are precedents of saloons not holding value as much as hatches. I would cite the VW Golf vs Bora/Jetta debate. Golfs in hatchback form are in greater demand and hold value better.

I think you're right about those previous examples but they were never very pretty cars to be honest and never 'premium' makes. I do think the premium brands all see an opportunity here and remember the A3 saloon is the same size as the original A4 so not exactly small.

Even BMW are getting involved BMW 1-series saloon for 2017 | Autocar

The latest Jetta isn't a bad looker! BUT that and the Golf Estate have lower residual values than the Golf Hatch. I doubt the A3 will be any different. !

The latest Jetta isn't a bad looker! BUT that and the Golf Estate have lower residual values than the Golf Hatch. I doubt the A3 will be any different. !

Perhaps, but to to honest I'm not that bothered about a few percent of residuals even if turns out to be the case, if I was I wouldn't have out £5000 of options on a premium sports saloon in the first place.

You may well turn out to be right but I've gone for a car I think is really good looking, and an all-round gem, and if I lose a couple of K 4 years down the line, I won't be that upset. You makes your choices and you take your fate!

I think I maybe a bit different in that I never really considered an SB in the first place as I was looking at an S4, so I really saw this as a slightly smaller, slightly better looking (inside and out due to S4 being a bit old in the tooth) S4, rather than coming at it from the other way around. Anyway if my car is worth 5p in 4 years you can have a good laugh! Maybe then I'll have to keep it for 10 years, which based on folks experience of S3's so far might not be a bad thing! :)

I can equally be rude about your car, perhaps it is better to keep your opinion to yourself....

Who stole her sweets? Oh sorry, just noticed you have ordered a 1.4 A3 saloon. Cough. It's not being rude - it's called having an opinion. My opinion. Just because mine's at odds with someone else's you say I should shut up? I couldn't care less what anyone says about my car, clearly you do. If I had a quid for every time I get the TT hair dresser car jokes... well, I'd have a few quid wouldn't I. I had yellow Cayman S for a little while and got crap over that, did I care? Not one jot. Everybody is entitled to an opinion. I think more than one or two of you lot need to get over yourselves. If someone buys a car I don't like, what do I care? It's their money. As I said, good luck to 'em.

Last edited:
Absolutely right Joe. Each to there own!! As long as you don't spoil it with a PP I'm sure it will look great!

Reactions: Joetidman
<br>
<br>
Who stole your sweets? It's not being rude - it's called having an opinion. My opinion. Just because mine's at odds with someone else's you say I should shut up? I couldn't care less what anyone says about my car, clearly you do. If I had a quid for every time I get the TT hair dresser car jokes... well, I'd have a few quid wouldn't I. I had yellow Cayman S for a little while and got crap over that, did I care? Not one jot. Everybody is entitled to an opinion. I think more than one or two of you lot need to get over yourselves. If someone buys a car I don't like, what do I care? It's their money. As I said, good luck to 'em. Looking forward to the reaction from my S3 SB*in Solar Orange. LOL!

My opinion is that you made unsubstantiated, invalidated claims which you say you are entitled too because that's your opinion. However when I have the opinion that you were being rude about saloons in general you don't like. Can't have it both way m8 and contrary to what you say I would not be rude about your choice because I think the colour is a brave decision, out on a limb but deserves credit for it. I wish it was a standard option...

My opinion is that you made unsubstantiated, invalidated claims which you say you are entitled too because that's your opinion. However when I have the opinion that you were being rude about saloons in general you don't like. Can't have it both way m8 and contrary to what you say I would not be rude about your choice because I think the colour is a brave decision, out on a limb but deserves credit for it. I wish it was a standard option...

Like I said, some of you need to get over yourselves. If anyone comes on and tells me they think solar orange on an S3 looks crap, fair enough. Who am I to tell them that their opinion isn't valid? Being rude about a car? Sounds like something my kids would say. Ask me what I think about Nissan Jukes and then you'll really get some bombs thrown around. LOL! Bottom line is I think the A3 saloon is a plain, boring pointless car, a marketing exercise at best. Saloons in general. Yeah, stupid, pointless things. Get an estate or buy a coupe. Have you taken the bait yet? LOL! I haven't even started yet... next please...:superman:

Esox Hunter your a right fruit cake bud! How anyone can start bashing the saloon as much as you have and then admit to wanting a bright orange sportback is comical, you go on about residual value on the saloon but i can tell you now a orange car will have very poor residual to say the least lol.

You remind of another poster,now what was his name.....ah yes siluremark.it cant be the same person though as he claimed to have a TTRS! Pmsl.

Reactions: cuke2u
Okey. I ordered sepang colour and I got that to misano price. The factory financeguy said that is okey.

True, hatchbacks in this country are more popular, however all the other saloons in the Audi range have good residuals...

In A4/6 at least saloon residuals are lower than Avant!!

From pictures I thought the saloon was the better looking of the new A3/S3 range, then I saw one in the flesh and I now thinks it lags behind the SB, with the 3 door in 3rd place in the looks stake.

IMO.

Reactions: PilotAudi
Okey. I ordered sepang colour and I got that to misano price. The factory financeguy said that is okey.

You lucky ******, that's my favourite colour !! I did try and get my salesman to budge on the price of it but he wouldn't budge an inch!!

From pictures I thought the saloon was the better looking of the new A3/S3 range, then I saw one in the flesh and I now thinks it lags behind the SB, with the 3 door in 3rd place in the looks stake.

IMO.

Was the one you saw a sport s-line? It makes a massive difference on the saloon I think