1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dismiss Notice

S3 saloon inner rear light problem / not working fix

danboy66 Oct 15, 2020

1. danboy66

danboy66 Registered User

So my inner led rear light started playing up
    Dim indicators no reverse light and then I opened my boot the light would go out

So after reading up on hear I found a topic that the wiring on the hinge could be faulty

So I stripped it down and found 1 broken wire and 2 damaged so I repaired all 3

Now ereything is fixed happy days about an hours work in total

Hope this helps someone in the future [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

2. Avatar

snack-media
    Advertisement

3. DJAlix

DJAlix VAG Car Coding™ Limited Site Sponsor Gold Supporter VCDS Map User VAG Can Professional ODIS (Offboard Diagnostic System)

Common issue with Saloons within the VAG range and I see a lot of them here at VAG Car Coding. Only thing I would have suggested would have been to use heat shrink butt connectors but nice job :)

danboy66 likes this.
  4. Mikeso51

Mikeso51 Registered User

DJAlix

Do you favour the solder or crimp versions of the heat shrink butt connectors?

5. DJAlix

DJAlix VAG Car Coding™ Limited Site Sponsor Gold Supporter VCDS Map User VAG Can Professional ODIS (Offboard Diagnostic System)

I use the genuine VW group connectors in order to maintain a vehicles warranty etc, which are crimp only I believe.

Mikeso51 likes this.
  6. Mikeso51

Mikeso51 Registered User

Thanks DJAlix. The solder variety looked quite slick but I did wonder about how well the solder would penetrate into the mutlicore wire. Maybe best to stick with the crimps.

7. DJAlix

Solder and vibrations don’t live well together also.

Mikeso51 likes this.
  8. AlS3BE

AlS3BE Registered User

Probably more a question for @DJAlix. Is there any preventative measures to stop this happening?
    I had something similar in my a6 and the dealer replaced a loom under warranty. Planning to keep my s3 a bit longer so would be interesting to see if there’s anything to help the longevity of these cables.

9. DJAlix

Yup, stop opening your boot / trunk :)

AlS3BE likes this.
  10. danboy66

danboy66 Registered User

It was a case of use what I had at home in the garage lucky I had some fibre tape or it would of got the black electrical tape treatment

It was your reply I found on an old post that gave me the location of the break

Thanks Alix

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

11. DJAlix

:)

danboy66 likes this.