S3 S-Tronic Question

Scott.T

Reaction score
Does the S3 S-Tronic have the same logic applied as the S4 with regard to taking control even when in manual mode.
For example changing up at redline and also changing down when you hit about 1400rpm.
Or does the S3 go full manual ?

On my previous S4 the change down was a particular problem for me. I live on a un-made road and I would have to fight to get it in the right gear. 1st was too low and it wouldn't allow 2nd unless I was at 1900rpm which was too fast for the road conditions. Sometimes I could go down the road in 2nd but as soon as the revs dipped too low it would automatically change into 1st, this would stand you on your nose and give too much engine braking.

I did consider knocking it into 'N' and coasting but the manual advises against this.

No such problems with my current manual.

Tbh I drive with paddles 99% of the time. Auto doesn't excite me half as much and I've had a few times when it's over-revved and not changed quickly enough.

Does the S3 S-Tronic have the same logic applied as the S4 with regard to taking control even when in manual mode.
For example changing up at redline and also changing down when you hit about 1400rpm.
Or does the S3 go full manual ?

On my previous S4 the change down was a particular problem for me. I live on a un-made road and I would have to fight to get it in the right gear. 1st was too low and it wouldn't allow 2nd unless I was at 1900rpm which was too fast for the road conditions. Sometimes I could go down the road in 2nd but as soon as the revs dipped too low it would automatically change into 1st, this would stand you on your nose and give too much engine braking.

I did consider knocking it into 'N' and coasting but the manual advises against this.

No such problems with my current manual.
You ordered that S3 saloon yet then @Scott.T ? ;) :D

You ordered that S3 saloon yet then @Scott.T ? ;) :D
LOL @Bristle Hound, No but the dealer done some number crunching for me today against a new order and it will have to wait. There was too much of a hit to be taken on my A4.
Despite them taking £3500 off the RRP there was still +4K extra required in the deposit to keep PCP the same. I may have that money later in the year but not at present.

But seeing as Audi have been quoting 2 years warranty on approved used, that may be another option, and may not necessarily be an S3.

Reactions: Bristle Hound
I assume the that everyone is driving round in full auto mode as no responses forthcoming to the question in the OP.

When in Auto then, when does it downshift ?

If I remember correct the S4 used to upshift at 1900rpm (light throttle) and downshift around 1400rpm.

Scott - your assumptions are correct. "Manual" mode changes gears for you when you don't want it to. I had an S-Tronic on my last A3 and spec'd a manual on my S3 as I couldn't stand the S-Tronic - a hateful gearbox - I'd much prefer a regular slushy auto. This is a very contentious subject that will get people foaming at the mouth. I've used the word hate to try to get a reaction as I'm bored, but I genuinely did hate the S-Tronic - I dread the inevitable day when they are the only option. You all agree with me right?

S-tronic down changes can happen as low as 1,000 rpm in both auto and manual modes - there is very little engine breaking. Second gear is engaged at as little as 12mph so no 1,900 rpm limit as you experienced with the S4.

Manual mode will change up and down without user input when needed to prevent stalling or over revving. I believe TCU maps are available that remove this 'safeguard'.

The upshifts at red line are fair enough, it's the "helpful" downshifts at low revs that are annoying and worse still, not allowing upshifts when they are perfectly OK despite mashing the paddles.

Reactions: Scott.T and Rob2k68
Scott - your assumptions are correct. "Manual" mode changes gears for you when you don't want it to. I had an S-Tronic on my last A3 and spec'd a manual on my S3 as I couldn't stand the S-Tronic - a hateful gearbox - I'd much prefer a regular slushy auto. This is a very contentious subject that will get people foaming at the mouth. I've used the word hate to try to get a reaction as I'm bored, but I genuinely did hate the S-Tronic - I dread the inevitable day when they are the only option. You all agree with me right?

Hehe I would use hate also :) On my test drive in a DSG I was getting frustrated let alone owning one!
Unless it was a commuter car in which case I can see the auto case. I have not bought a couple of RSn simply as no manual...........I am concerned for the future. Anyhoo, the manual S3 gearbox is lovely other than the slightly short 6th gear for the available torque.

Reactions: QuattroCalum and NickyF
don't be a spoil sport veeeight. I know we've had this conversation a thousand times, but why not make it 1001? Come on pro S-Tronic boys... stick up for your jerky, nightmare of a gearbox :)

A typical S-Tronic "assisted" junction:

Me: there's a gap in the traffic, let's go!
S-Tronic: hang on, let me consider my options
Me: hurry up, there's a car coming
S-Tronic: I'm getting there, 2 secs
Me: ***
S-Tronic: Let's go!
Me: Nooooooo!!
Car: CRASHHHHHHHH, BOOOOOM, DEATH

Reactions: Kings999, Pulp84, veeeight and 1 other person

foam-imgur.gif

Reactions: Rob2k68 and WarwickL
I also dread this. There are several S or RS Audi I want or desire but all are moving over to S-Tronic. Even the New A4 (not S4) in the higher powered petrol configuration is only available in S-tronic.
I am left only with a choice of Manual S3 300PS or Manual A5 sport back 230PS.
Hence I am also considering dropping back to a Pre-facelift S4 in order to have a Manual.

Reactions: NickyF
About 2 minutes into my journey to work this morning I came off a roundabout like a friggin missile with drive select in 'comfort'..............................laggy, my ****!!

Reactions: WarwickL, pburv and thewrongspeed
Sorry to hear about your condition Simon, try a curly wurly. Back to the s-tronic - once it goes, it goes, but it takes time to go. The gearbox I had was on an 8P and they were definitely worse, but I test drove an 8V S3 stronic and it still felt sluggish.

Reactions: Simon L
Death to manual VAGs. Absolute *****.

No sluggishness in my DSG but maybe my balls are in the right place :)

I'm on my third DSG VAG and wouldn't take a manual if it were the last car on earth.

Manuals are boring :D

don't be a spoil sport veeeight. I know we've had this conversation a thousand times, but why not make it 1001? Come on pro S-Tronic boys... stick up for your jerky, nightmare of a gearbox :)

A typical S-Tronic "assisted" junction:

Me: there's a gap in the traffic, let's go!
S-Tronic: hang on, let me consider my options
Me: hurry up, there's a car coming
S-Tronic: I'm getting there, 2 secs
Me: ***
S-Tronic: Let's go!
Me: Nooooooo!!
Car: CRASHHHHHHHH, BOOOOOM, DEATH

D mode means dumbnuts :)

You must be very bored today :p

Reactions: Rob2k68, WarwickL and Simon L
Death to manual VAGs. Absolute *****.

No sluggishness in my DSG but maybe my balls are in the right place :)

I'm on my third DSG VAG and wouldn't take a manual if it were the last car on earth.

Manuals are boring :D

+1000000000000 !!

Reactions: Rob2k68, h5djr and WarwickL
Sorry to hear about your condition Simon, try a curly wurly. Back to the s-tronic - once it goes, it goes, but it takes time to go. The gearbox I had was on an 8P and they were definitely worse, but I test drove an 8V S3 stronic and it still felt sluggish.
Launch control anyone??????:rockwoot:

Reactions: elpaulio and Simon L
S-Tronic takes a bit of getting used to, but once you know how it drives its fine.

The only thing I find annoying is if you're cruising at say 30 in 5th or 6th in normal auto mode, and you accelerate a bit more to move up to 40, if you're a bit heavy footed there's a pause while it decides what to do, then changes down and all of a sudden it fires you down the road at a million miles an hour.

Apart from the drop down of gears when rolling down my road the other issue was that with my driving style I like to ride the torque curve with gentle throttle application. For example pulling up a hill and you want a nice smooth pull/increase of torque.
I found the s-tronic would decide to change up a gear in this scenario and therefore dropping you back down the torque curve. You then end up fighting/overriding it with a pull of the downshift

Perhaps you should try driving in 'manual' mode. Personally I use that mode almost all the time.

Unengaging I can live with if you really are a manual purist..........but sluggish, laggy, jerky...............sorry, that's just bulls**t I'm afraid!!

I've driven manuals all my life but it took about 5 minutes to be converted, yes it does have a few quirks which take longer than a mere test-drive to get to grips with but I agree with the guys above, I'd rather be castrated with a rusty pair of shears than go back to man-uel !! lol

Reactions: Nikon, Rob2k68 and WarwickL
Unengaging I can live with if you really are a manual purist..........but sluggish, laggy, jerky...............sorry, that's just bulls**t I'm afraid!!

I've driven manuals all my life but it took about 5 minutes to be converted, yes it does have a few quirks which take longer than a mere test-drive to get to grips with but I agree with the guys above, I'd rather be castrated with a rusty pair of shears than go back to man-uel !! lol
Ke?
Manuel

manuel-o.gif

Reactions: Rob2k68
Perhaps you should try driving in 'manual' mode. Personally I use that mode almost all the time.
I did try that on the S4 but coming to a stop could be quite clunky if you let it make the final 2 changes.

Simon, good, I can feel your anger.

It is jerky though mate, in traffic, it's nasty. I can fully understand why, it's a manual under the hood and with no torque converter to take up the slack it's going to be jerky at low speeds. And pulling away was shocking on my 8P, didn't really get to try it much on my 8v test drive but unless it was a dramatic improvement I'd rather kill myself AND be castrated with rustier sheers than yours than go back to the despicable contraption that is s-tronic.

Simon, good, I can feel your anger.

It is jerky though mate, in traffic, it's nasty. I can fully understand why, it's a manual under the hood and with no torque converter to take up the slack it's going to be jerky at low speeds. And pulling away was shocking on my 8P, didn't really get to try it much on my 8v test drive but unless it was a dramatic improvement I'd rather kill myself AND be castrated with rustier sheers than yours than go back to the despicable contraption that is s-tronic.

Anger??!!

..............******* meself laughing here!! lol

And me, just having a laugh buddy. This forum can take things way too seriously. It was a geeky Star Wars quote :flushed:.

I liked my S-Tronic for a while, then I got bored with it, then it started to drive me mental, then I wanted to kill all of man kind. Which stage are you at?

Reactions: Scott.T and Simon L
And me, just having a laugh buddy. This forum can take things way too seriously. It was a geeky Star Wars quote :flushed:.

I liked my S-Tronic for a while, then I got bored with it, then it started to drive me mental, then I wanted to kill all of man kind. Which stage are you at?

It wasn't lost on me................managed to resist putting the inevitable pic/gif up though for once!!

................I will love s-tronic for all eternity!! lol

that's what I thought, then I realised it was purest evil, search your feelings, you know it to be true.

that's what I thought, then I realised it was purest evil, search your feelings, you know it to be true.

Nooooooooooooooooo!!!!

.............................I'll never join the dark side!!

Don't get me wrong I am trying to 'want' an S-Tronic as they come with some bonus's such as launch control, nice exhaust notes on the upshift and paddle driving when 'on it' is fun, if a little playstation(ish).
Hence the original question, hoping it were different/better on an S3 then my previous 2010 S4. But alas it seems about the same.

Evo magazine voted the GT4 car of the year 2015, with a manual box. I would guess they would of picked the GT3 RS had the GT4 not been a manual.

I'm beginning to become quite shocked at the lack of market options if you want over 250hp, Manual transmission and preferably 4WD.
Am I just power hungry ???? A nice Merc can be spec'd up and looks the part but the power is woefully low, unless your pockets are deep and you can go AMG.

The big V8s etc have all been auto for a long time, especially Mercs (although my V12 850i was available in manual, tragically mine is not one of them). I don't have an issue with a well sorted auto, the thing that gets me foaming at the mouth is the fact that s-tronic and the like are seen (by the manufacturers) as a replacement for a manual box. It's not, it's an auto and not a very good one in my view. The tech is very clever, but I think there's a way to go before they surpass traditional torque converters for usability and general day to day appeal.

In what way is S-Tronic better than a manual?
- It has faster shifts, but in reality this is meaningless and only affects 0-60 pub bragging.
- the "farts" on up shift. Sure I'd like them, but it's hardly a must have
- launch control. This is a just a party trick, a cool one, but ultimately pretty useless day to day.
- it can change gears automatically. This is the one! You don't have to stir the stick to get a new gear, this is definitely an improvement of sorts. But as far as I can see this is the only one, and torque converters are better at this, particularly in normal day to day conditions that's where 95%+ of the use an S3 is.

I can't see a single meaningful benefit of s-tronic for those who leave it permanently in manual mode, other than maybe both legs stay the same size. Can someone enlighten me?