S3 S-Tronic Question

I can't see a single meaningful benefit of s-tronic for those who leave it permanently in manual mode, other than maybe both legs stay the same size. Can someone enlighten me?
I use my s-tonic in manual mode 95% of the time. It means I have the best of both worlds. I can choose which gear I want to be in and change gear without having to use a clutch pedal. Fast and simple changes and upward changes with full power on. If I encounter a traffic queue or use the ACC through roadworks for example then I move it into D and let the car looks after it's self. Once that is over it's back to manual.

I don't very often drive in large town or city traffic but being able to choose the gears on more rural roads and lanes adds to the fun of driving, especially without the need for a clutch. But as I always say, each to his own. If anyone prefers playing with a clutch pedal then so be it, for as long as Audi still make manual modes available.

Great answer, if I hadn't already been there I'd almost be convinced! I guess the upshot is that it's an auto when you're feeling lazy, and manual when you're not. That was exactly why I went out of my way to get one originally, but it just didn't work out for me. I found myself defaulting to lazy mode most of the time, then it just ends up being a fairly poor auto box. In the few instances when I forced myself to be non lazy and go manual I found it an unsatisfying experience - it just felt a bit pointless when the car can do it itself. The key piece of information that I haven't divulged is that my stronic 8p was a diesel, maybe the stronic is better suited to petrol engines?

The S-Tronic on my S3 is a marked improvement over the DSG on my MKVI R. More intuitive in D and S, smoother and more reliable shifts.....

Personally, I'll always buy DSG/S -Tronic as it provides options and flexibility, just as the drive settings give me options.

Have driven various manuals for over 45 years and would never go back to one, not because I'm an old fart (soft ****) but because I like tech and options.

Edit - oh and even in Dumbnuts mode it is a massive improvement over the multitude of slush boxes I've owned and driven.

Great answer, if I hadn't already been there I'd almost be convinced! I guess the upshot is that it's an auto when you're feeling lazy, and manual when you're not. That was exactly why I went out of my way to get one originally, but it just didn't work out for me. I found myself defaulting to lazy mode most of the time, then it just ends up being a fairly poor auto box. In the few instances when I forced myself to be non lazy and go manual I found it an unsatisfying experience - it just felt a bit pointless when the car can do it itself. The key piece of information that I haven't divulged is that my stronic 8p was a diesel, maybe the stronic is better suited to petrol engines?

The S-Tronic in manual or D is not a 'poor' autobox. You can't have driven a VX box or the power shift in fords. They are poor autoboxes. Slow to change up, hang in gear, deliver poor economy, hunt for gears when hovering around 30mph.......I could go on.

Death to manual VAGs. Absolute *****.

No sluggishness in my DSG but maybe my balls are in the right place :)

I'm on my third DSG VAG and wouldn't take a manual if it were the last car on earth.

Manuals are boring :D

Gosh. Yeah, I get so bored using both legs (left foot braking aside) and telling my car explicitly what gear to use. Oh, and there's never a scenario whereby the software says no at a junction for me... :whistle2:

Drove both S-Tronic and manual S3 - chose manual and haven't regretted it once.

DSG is fun in a PS4 sort of way but I don't find them involving to drive. But then I don't endure a commute anywhere :yahoo:

I use my s-tonic in manual mode 95% of the time. It means I have the best of both worlds. I can choose which gear I want to be in and change gear without having to use a clutch pedal. Fast and simple changes and upward changes with full power on. If I encounter a traffic queue or use the ACC through roadworks for example then I move it into D and let the car looks after it's self. Once that is over it's back to manual.

I don't very often drive in large town or city traffic but being able to choose the gears on more rural roads and lanes adds to the fun of driving, especially without the need for a clutch. But as I always say, each to his own. If anyone prefers playing with a clutch pedal then so be it, for as long as Audi still make manual modes available.

Genuine question but I've driven for hundreds of miles non-stop in many manuals and never got out of any car thinking my legs ache due to all that clutch use. Do people really have a problem using their left leg? Do they find it tiring? Or is it seem as a chore?

Honestly, I'm curious!

If you are like me and have a totally knackered back, then yes, using my left leg is not only tiresome but very painful.

Oh, and there's never a scenario whereby the software says no at a junction for me... :whistle2:

Drove both S-Tronic and manual S3 - chose manual and haven't regretted it once.

yahoo:

Cool, glad you have no regrets.

Neither do I.

No commuting for me, took early retirement so I drive because I enjoy it and on the Sunny Coast there are no traffic jams or ****** roads :)

I don't tell my car anything, I select the gear I want and not had this anomaly of junction gear issue you mention - shocking stuff :)

The S-Tronic in manual or D is not a 'poor' autobox.

The one I owned for 5 years was poor in my opinion. The hesitation at junctions was beyond poor, bordering on dangerous. The clunky jerkiness in traffic was poor also. The reluctance to change down in D under light throttle on an incline was maddeningly poor, as was the crazy change down at every opportunity in S (that mode was virtually useless).The refusal to select a high gear in manual mode when cruising when the engine would easily cope, and other such "car knows best" cobblers was pretty poor too..... in my opinion.

The 7 speed dry clutch DSG has a better response from standstill, compared to the 6 speed wet clutch DSG.

However. Both DSG's are slower (when not using LC) to exit busy junctions and roundabouts, compared with a manual gearbox.

This is irrefutable.

Genuine question but I've driven for hundreds of miles non-stop in many manuals and never got out of any car thinking my legs ache due to all that clutch use. Do people really have a problem using their left leg? Do they find it tiring? Or is it seem as a chore?

Honestly, I'm curious!

Yep, I've been stuck in traffic on several occasions and thought this clutch pedal lark is really P*****G me off. What I'd give for an auto right now 'cos my legging is killing me. Try it in something with a heavy clutch pedal and it's a nightmare. It's one of the reasons why I thought I'd try an S-Tronic this time around.

I drive a manual everyday in the work commute and drive the s-tronic S3 at the weekend, everyday I wish I was in the S3 as the clutch bit does not make me feel more involved, make me feel like I have more control or make me feel more like a MAN. :wtf:

The S3 gearbox does have a couple of quirks and it is not perfect but I don't have any of the real problems with it that others seem to experience. So for the 90% of the normal driving I do I'm happy to let it do its thing and then for the other 10% where I want to drive like a **** I never feel like it's getting in the way of me doing that. Now if I was still in my early numpty years when those percentages were swapped round, my opinion might be different, but I also wouldn't be in an S3 either as it wouldn't be chav enough . :)

Reactions: Simon L and Scottyg
braincrying_zpsd26c7dc9.gif

Reactions: WarwickL, Jassyo06 and Scottyg
**** D mode its gash...6th gear at 43 mph...WTF Car labours.....at say...junctions,traffic lights.. it's in D mode until l reach 4th gear, then left turn Clyde into manual....in my opinion its far from perfect....this gearbox needs a 7th gear as it stands, it up shifts far too quickly....ratios are too low,in comparison to my last car it ask for 6th gear at 60 mph

Reactions: Simon L
**** D mode its gash...6th gear at 43 mph...WTF Car labours.....at say...junctions,traffic lights.. it's in D mode until l reach 4th gear, then left turn Clyde into manual....in my opinion its far from perfect....this gearbox needs a 7th gear as it stands, it up shifts far too quickly....ratios are too low,in comparison to my last car it ask for 6th gear at 60 mph

Don't stoke the flames *** mate they'll be here for another 10 bleedin pages!! lol

Reactions: WarwickL and Jassyo06
Some good comments there guy's. Good to get some informed views rather then just slating one another.

Clutch performance these days should never give you a hard or heavy pedal. I run a performance clutch in my other car rated to over 450ftlb and that's fine too.
Now if you go back a few years I agree clutch pedals could be heavy, even on a hot hatch with 120bhp.
I know I used to get leg ache in traffic with my old RS fords.
Any manufacturer with a heavy clutch these days is doing something wrong or cutting costs.

These days I get more of an ache in my right ankle then my left leg. Come to think of it this was even more pronounced when I had the S4 S-tronic. Probably due to no movement required between shifts.

Reactions: Jassyo06 and Simon L
To be honest and serious for once the only two achilles heels for me are that s-tronic changes through the gears too quickly in 'D' and hangs onto them too long, at low speeds, in 'S'. Apart from that it's all win.................

Totally agree with Supa Doopa........I switched from manual coz I'm totally ****** off with endlessly changing gears in traffic, if you enjoy that then all the best of british to yer!! Certainly got nothing to do with dead leg, withered ankle or any of that cobblers!! lol

Reactions: Scottyg and pburv
Wow - this is like the colour debate all over again!

I think its personal choice again here...I test drove a manual S3 and an S-Tronic S3 - personally i didn't like the paddle manual - liked the auto mode but i didn't feel in control.

Sometimes i like to floor the accelerator but not necessarily drop gears and go off like a scalded rat!

Wow - this is like the colour debate all over again!

I think its personal choice again here...I test drove a manual S3 and an S-Tronic S3 - personally i didn't like the paddle manual - liked the auto mode but i didn't feel in control.

Sometimes i like to floor the accelerator but not necessarily drop gears and go off like a scalded rat!

......exactly, which is why I will never understand why these threads prattle on for page after page................... we're all grown-ups for crying out loud, no-one is gonna change my view any more than I expect to change theirs!!

Reactions: Jassyo06, JohnM100 and Scottyg
......exactly, which is why I will never understand why these threads prattle on for page after page................... we're all grown-ups for crying out loud, no-one is gonna change my view any more than I expect to change theirs!!

Simples= S-Tronic lower ££ pcp...Higher Residual Price.....Fancy Paddles...Fancy Centre Consul....

Simples= S-Tronic lower ££ pcp...Higher Residual Price.....Fancy Paddles...Fancy Centre Consul....

.................you forgot the fancy bandana for the driver..........:yahoo:

Reactions: Jassyo06

Simon, we're responsible for most of the prattling my friend. What's wrong with a bit of prattling anyway? The other option is boring silence. I've enjoyed this thread, there's been some honesty. Here goes: my manual box is a bit notchy, and sometime when I'm stuck in traffic I wish for an stronic, there I've said it. I hate myself.

Reactions: Baldyone, Jassyo06 and Simon L
Simon, we're responsible for most of the prattling my friend. What's wrong with a bit of prattling anyway? The other option is boring silence. I've enjoyed this thread, there's been some honesty. Here goes: my manual box is a bit notchy, and sometime when I'm stuck in traffic I wish for an stronic, there I've said it. I hate myself.

.........I know it's a painful concept for some folks to grasp..................but guess what, nothing in life is perfect!!

0xAW6Ig.gif

Reactions: Jassyo06
Both are a compromise. It all depends on what you want and the type of driving you do.
I hate manuals in traffic. The Stronic is not perfect and Simon got it spot on about the Achilles heels. Plus the pull away from junctions with the scary delay.
Though the more I drive the stronic , I have learnt to compensate for it's faults.
Which will I choose next time... Tough call, really would reconsider manual... but then again ... Hopefully they will sort it out with some additional mapping somewhere between D and S.

Hopefully they will sort it out with some additional mapping somewhere between D and S.

Quite a few do go aftermarket TCU remapping already.

I don't see the need personally. After 8 years of DSG vehicle ownership, the "tissues for your issues" faults are like unicorns and understeer - there, I said the naughty word :)

Ye on that fancy Vodka again...whilst over lookin da bay

5.20 am here - too dark to see the lake but almost time for a drink - thanks for the reminder ;)

I just need to say goodbye to the unicorn and wake up.

Looks like a good day to take the car and its ****** DSG up the hinterland.

915002d0200f49ab00176119705668f1.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Scottyg, Simon L, pburv and 1 other person
Quite a few do go aftermarket TCU remapping already.

I don't see the need personally. After 8 years of DSG vehicle ownership, the "tissues for your issues" faults are like unicorns and understeer - there, I said the naughty word :)
I am only a few months in with it., but what Simon said strikes a chord with me. I can only say what I have found so far. Maybe there is a different way to drive it , and still experimenting with it.
Now I might say something controversial. Whilst I am loving the power of the S3 , it is far more than can be used on UK roads in the South East. Before I get slated as a wimp , I held a full racing licence and raced at numerous tracks for five years. I still so track days.(last one in a 540 bhp lambo)
I will enjoy it , but next time will probably drop to a less power, and keep to driving on circuits when I want to drive hard....
Expecting bricks incoming....

Reactions: Baldyone, Jassyo06, WarwickL and 1 other person
Reactions: Jassyo06 and WarwickL
I am only a few months in with it., but what Simon said strikes a chord with me. I can only say what I have found so far. Maybe there is a different way to drive it , and still experimenting with it.
Now I might say something controversial. Whilst I am loving the power of the S3 , it is far more than can be used on UK roads in the South East. Before I get slated as a wimp , I held a full racing licence and raced at numerous tracks for five years. I still so track days.(last one in a 540 bhp lambo)
I will enjoy it , but next time will probably drop to a less power, and keep to driving on circuits when I want to drive hard....
Expecting bricks incoming....

I think most here can see the sense in what your saying. To be honest I don't really see them as faults as they can be easily remedied with the paddles as said countess times before...........however I also think they could have been largely eradicated with a 7th gear :)

I hear what your saying about the 'niggles' with the S-Tronic, but with a premium brand (and I'm new to it, having only been part of it for 11 months) should we be finding niggles and having to make compromise.
Does an £80K-£100K RS6 have the same issues ?

Perhaps when I jumped into an Audi I expected perfection.

I will be really controversial here.......I've owned 3 Subaru Impreza over the last 15 years and have managed to hang on to one for 12 years which is now a garage queen for summer fun, drives to a certain track in Germany, meets, events and track days.
I can now see why back in 1998/1999 (mine is a 2000) there was a waiting list for the Subaru Impreza. They really got this car right all those years ago. With mine modified to 335BHP (218BHP originally) it puts a bigger smile on my face then my old S4 ever did.
So hat's off to Subaru for developing it so well so long ago.
If only there were a car such as this now that had such a waiting list to get in and enjoy.
Perhaps an RS3 Saloon may tick that box (Manual gearbox option please........).

Oh god, please not the Impreza word. The most overrated, underwhelming vehicle of all time (and I owned two).

Roughly built, agricultural gearbox, fugly as all hell, noisy, cramped, poor quality paint and panels, the list goes on.

:)

Edit - they still make them and as Impreza buyers don't care what a car looks like, perhaps a better option than an Audi S3/RS3.

Last edited:
Oh god, please not the Impreza word. The most overrated, underwhelming vehicle of all time (and I owned two).

Roughly built, agricultural gearbox, fugly as all hell, noisy, cramped, poor quality paint and panels, the list goes on.

:)
Nowt wrong with an Impreza, if you get an original (I did have a later 2007 one for a while, but ended up buying my old'en back)

I'm just after something that can perform the same roll as this one did.
It saw my kids into this world, ferried them around and the eldest now has his eye on it, for his own (he can wish).
Just to wind up @WarwickL , here's a little reminder of what he so clearly hates :

Reactions: Beery
I don't hate any car.

The Impeza, even today, is (putting aside the fugliness), underwhelming in every aspect. I enjoyed the two I had but was not taken in by the boi racer waffle that they were something special (made great ram raiders though) as a road car.

I'd strongly suggest you stick with Subaru Scott.T, an Audi just doesn't cut the mustard.

Edit - this was my last Subaru I owned (of 6 in total). Was OK but agricultural, rubbish gearbox, terrible paint, noisy, handled like crap, rattled from every fitting .....served a purpose though

JIvlA0C.png

IXonabo.png

hjtfIyo.png

Last edited:
I don't hate any car.

The Impeza, even today, is (putting aside the fugliness), is underwhelming in every aspect. I enjoyed the two I had but was not taken in by the boi racer waffle that they were something special.

I'd strongly suggest you stick with Subaru Scott.T, an Audi just doesn't cut the mustard.

Subaru have lost there way model by model since the original and have been well and truly left with their pants down with old tech in the latest incarnation, just as Ford did with the RS's in mid 90's.

Audi have brought the game on, but should an S3 costing £30K-£40K or a S4 costing £45K really be having driving compromises and a clunking S-Tronic box as you pull up to a halt ?
As I have said elsewhere, If I clunked the box in the same way as I pulled up to a halt I would be apologising to my passengers.

Oh! and to add....my A4 TDi 190PS is a manual and I have had no reason to moan at the gearbox or ever been worried about the speed in which I can pull away. I just 'hate' the fact that it's a soot chucker.

Subaru have lost there way model by model since the original and have been well and truly left with their pants down with old tech in the latest incarnation, just as Ford did with the RS's in mid 90's.

Audi have brought the game on, but should an S3 costing £30K-£40K or a S4 costing £45K really be having driving compromises and a clunking S-Tronic box as you pull up to a halt ?
As I have said elsewhere, If I clunked the box in the same way as I pulled up to a halt I would be apologising to my passengers.

My S3 doesn't clunk (neither did my GTI or R, also with DSG) - you better get yours to a dealer to get it sorted.

Whilst you are there, pop over to the Subaru dealer, I'm sure they will have a few 2nd hand Roo's in stock ?