S3 S-Tronic gearbox over revving problems ?

audiboyuk

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I picked up my S3 last week. I'm now experiencing what could be problems with the S-tronic gearbox. Over the last few days I've become aware of the revs meter on the dashboard seems to be over revving sometimes when I'm driving around 30mph, and it feels like the auto hasn't adjusted to the right gear setting for my speed.

I've not had an automatic or S-tronic before, but I'm presuming there could be an intermittent fault?. I didn't notice this over revving the first few days of driving the car, but it's happening on a frequent basis now, and last night I was doing 80 on the motorway - again it was over revving for the speed I was travelling at, it felt like it was in the wrong gear. I had to slow my speed down for the gear setting to adjust it's self.

Surely this can't be normal for an S-Tronic? I'm considering contacting Audi tomorrow to get it checked up, any advice would be appreciated.

Last edited:
Seems a silly question, but you haven't got it in 'S' mode have you...?

If not, whats the year of the car? If its an early model, mechatronics is way up there on the list...and not cheap at all.

If you had it second hand, you may also find the gearbox is mapped.

It Changes the ratios so for example it won't be in 6th gear at 35-ish mph!! (huge bonus if so).

If mileage is high, make sure it has followed the service schedule properly.

Otherwise get the adaptation reset.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's a 62 plate which I got from my local Audi dealer. It's low mileage and fairly new car. No I've hardly used the S mode

It's a 62 plate which I got from my local Audi dealer. It's low mileage and fairly new car. No I've hardly used the S mode

Chuck it back at them then, tell them to run diag on it and explain its holding onto the gears for too long.

Im guessing the vibe your getting in 'D' mode, with it holding on to gears is similiar to the feeling you should just be getting in 'S' mode? As in 'S' mode you won't get sixth for a little while if your 'tearing it up'...

I'm not sure, I've not used the S mode enough times to make a comparison. I'm just disappointed that there is something not right with the car.

Last edited:
I'm not sure, I've not used the S mode enough times to make a comparison. I'm just disappointed that there is something not right with the car.

If anything, in D mode it changes gear early, as if it can't wait to get into 6th gear.

Get someone who has driven an s-tronic car to drive yours and see what they think. If you've got your foot planted then it could be dropping gears using the kick-down feature (which is a PITA in my opinion). Best to drive the car in M mode and use the paddles - gives you back control of the gearbox then.