S3 running temperatures - possible thermostat issue

luke_m87

Reaction score
I've had the S3 now since last August and I have always noted that unless driving around town or in traffic that the car seems to run at a low temperature - between 72c-85c water and checking the oil seems to give around 78c-82c.
I had assumed this was just usual for the car until a friend recently mentioned on his 8L S3 it had done the same and he replaced his thermostat and the temperature would sit at 90c all day long.
Can anyone else confirm if their's is running at a constant 90c or do they usually run slightly cold with regular driving?

Mine was running at 70 on the motorway and 90 around town, just had the thermostat done and it's perfect mate

Your friend is right should be 90 deg all the time

Reactions: tonydata
Best way to check is it get our car hot and feel the top radiator hose and bottom hose, if the tops hot and bottoms colder, this is a good sign that it's the thermostat mate

Should notice your mpg get better too when it's done.

Reactions: tonydata
Thanks for the quick responses, I'll get it swapped out for a new one in that case. I did think it seemed a little odd that it had been fluctuating, but just assumed it was normal for the car until he mentioned it.