S3 review up on Autocar

MarcQuinlivan said:
I've not bought it yet, but hopefully the Audi Press Office supplied them with a better car than the one they gave Auto Express - garish red leather and wooden inlays.

looks like black interior from the picture on the site.

You get brushed ali inserts as standard, but you can spec the piano black as a no cost extra.

Do the chrome air vent surrounds fit normal A3's? Anyone know how much and if they're easy to fit? Might be a nice OEM mod?

I rushed out and bought the mag. Its a superb review. In fact, the first 4 paragraphs speak the truth about the 8L S3 and reasons for buying it, and then continues on to the 8P S3. At last a car reviewer that understands 1) what the concept of an S car is and 2) the market. The S3 (old and new) is a niche area, quality, and performance, and 4wd.

I went on a bit of a car mag frenzy today actually, buying Autocar, Car and Evo. Not bought Car for many years and now I remember why. Car is not as favourable about the new S3 as what Autocar is. In fact Car pretty much slates it, "not fun".

Interestingly though, both mags say the turbo isn't too laggy. Which isn't what I felt when I drove one.

Still, the Autocar review has got me dribbling at the mouth now for my new S3!!!!!!

AL

AL_B said:
Still, the Autocar review has got me dribbling at the mouth now for my new S3!!!!!!

AL

Just read the review online. Nice.

I want my S3 too!!! And I have over a month before it even gets built. Nuts. :ermm:

galewis said:
Do the chrome air vent surrounds fit normal A3's? Anyone know how much and if they're easy to fit? Might be a nice OEM mod?

They do fit mate and are a simple 'prise out and shove in' mod and i really fancied some myself until the parts guy at the local dealer wanted to take £70 off me for EACH ONE!!! :faint:

I sorta went off them after that......

Good review.... only 2 weeks to go till mine arrive..... this article did not help.... it's going to be the longest 2 weeks!!!

2 weeks, one day, 10 hours and 22 minutes until I get my hands on my new S3!!

prt

wooo hooo i'm 2 days before you - first thing March 1st!!!
I can not wait!

The most impressive review of the S3! My old brother had his S3 in '99 and back then, in the group tests the S3 was never there.
Looks like this one is going in the same way, they seem to talk more about the TT or the GTI in the hot hatch area, like in the previous model.
I don't care, it's an awesome car, and it is underated.
Nevertheless, maybe the review is just a little bit too good...
In my opinion, what separates the S3 from greatness, are a more distinctive bodywork, better standard seats, and better exclusive rims.

It should be a little more wider, with a bumper like the old one, an even more agressive front spoiler, and side skirts like the old one or the allroad.

Anyways, mine was ordered last week, so let the worst part begin, waiting...

all of you that are waiting will be pleased to know that it really is great, subtle styling (but you still turn heads) lovely interior. but best of all some impressive performance and great sound when you give it some... 2.5k miles and counting!

I am loving it!

Actually best of all might be that some of us may get our cars early. I was at the dealer on Saturday and they are getting cars around 2 weeks early (based on initial build weeks), they reckon that Audi's estimated build dates are extremely conservative... :jump:

I have never had so many people look at a car I have owned.

I've lost count the amount of people who have stopped on the street and whipped out phones and cameras to take a pic of it.

It's embarrassing sitting in traffic somewhere public and having people staring in your direction to be honest..God knows what 911 drivers must feel like!!

Irish said:
I have never had so many people look at a car I have owned.

I've lost count the amount of people who have stopped on the street and whipped out phones and cameras to take a pic of it.

It's embarrassing sitting in traffic somewhere public and having people staring in your direction to be honest..God knows what 911 drivers must feel like!!

I know what you mean, when I had my current S3 when it was new I would get 1 in 2 drivers take a look an gawp. The worst thing was going near the city centre on a weekend, it was just stupid. Now its more like 1 in 50.

I had loads of people taking a look when i was out testdriving and that was for just 4 hours. Crazy. Although one was a new sprint blue S6 and i was gazing back!

What you want to watch out for is the 'i'll park next to you as i'm then cool' brigade.

Go off and try it one day by parking at the other end of the car supermarket/mall/shopping centre on your own, you will come back to find suddenly your car has lots of friends to keep it company! :jump:

Its quite funny! :)