1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

S3 rear brake upgrade

Goubo1 Apr 13, 2017

1. Goubo1

Goubo1 Well-Known Member

Looking to upgrade there brake set up I seen this set up and would fill the rear wheel nice too
    [​IMG]

Anyone know of any other kits that are available and has anyone fitted a kit like this ? If so would you recommend it ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Advertisement

3. snowy

snowy Active Member

Compbrake, I use that setup

You get a caliper spacer, bell and rotor

The caliper spacer is very simple. The bells ok too.

I wouldn't touch compbrake rotors though -they crack up under heat (I use AP rotors - 330x20mm is a readily available rotor size)

You used to able to buy the spacers and the bells from compbrake as spare parts, then match to someone elses rotors

4. Goubo1

Goubo1 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the heads up mate is there any other sort of off the shelf kits available??

5. snowy

snowy Active Member

none that I personally know of

I've seen some Tarox stuff in general (not tested) and it looked good quality, but not specifically their rear kit (300x20mm)

6. <tuffty/>

<tuffty/> Badger 5 Edition...Its all about the flow... Staff Member Moderator Audi S3 It's my birthday

Bill and I have plans to put a kit together... bells, rotors and brackets on OE calipers... just not had the time..

<tuffty/>

Goubo1 likes this.
  7. badger5

badger5 www.badger5.co.uk Site Sponsor

we may get a chance to look at this soon... more hands and all that

Goubo1 and <tuffty/> like this.
  8. Goubo1

Goubo1 Well-Known Member

Well keep me posted guys I'll definitely have a kit

9. Darrell

Darrell New Member

Tufty, to equal out the 6 pots on the front of mine I was thinking of using rs4 master cylinder, 25.4 if it fits?? rs4 rear calipers and whatever discs required to make them work. What's your opinion?

10. desertstorm

desertstorm Moderator Staff Member Moderator VCDS Map User TDi Audi A4 Audi Avant Owner Group quattro

I did a lot of research on the net and couldn't find anybody that had found a straightforward Master cylinder upgrade for the S3 /TT.
    I tackled the rear brake upgrade by fitting Calipers with a larger piston.I had fitted some TRRS 4 pot Brembo's with 334mm V6 brake discs on the front and found the car was standing on it's nose when braking hard.
    The standard rear brakes don't get that much abuse really and having such large discs on the rear isn't required from a heat capacity point of view. You are just moving the caliper out to gain the mechanical advantage 330/256 = 1.29 so about 30% extra braking torque.

https://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threa...ar-g25-660-upgrade.319422/page-4#post-3255700

I fitted rear calipers off an A6 4.2 V8. These are pretty much identical to the standard caliper but have a 43mm piston instead of a 38mm one.
    (43x43) / (38x38) = 1.28 so pretty much the same braking force as fitting a 330mm rear disc with a standard caliper.
    This restored the braking balance to the car, no longer stands on it's nose when braking hard and seems to work well on the track. I didn't have excessive pedal travel before doing this upgrade, and I know some of the multi pot front brake upgrades can leave you with a lot of pedal travel. Fitting these rear calipers made little difference to the pedal travel on mine.
    You don't get to have larger rear discs in the back but you can use standard discs and you get new rear calipers which you may be buying anyway as the existing ones are likely not to be the best.