1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dismiss Notice

S3 - Rear Adjustable Tie Arms: Lower vs Upper Position

Alex C Sep 12, 2017

1. Alex C

Alex C Well-Known Member VCDS Map User Audi S3

My car is lowered 1" and I have replaced the upper tie arms with adjustable tie arms to correct the camber after lowering (2010)

However, I have always had problems getting the car aligned - when the rear camber is bought into spec the rear toe angle is out of spec (toeing in).

I have heard people suggest that swapping the adjustable tie arm to the lower arm gives more wriggle room to get the rear alignment in spec for both camber and toe. Has this hypothesis been tested and found to be good? - I'm asking because I chucked the old upper arms so would need to get some new upper arms and VW want a fortune for 'em.

Also; I have Dave's original stainless steel adjustable tie arms; are there any issues getting the Xenon headlight leveling bracket attached to the circular profile arm? (haven't stuck my head under there yet - sorry)

2. Avatar

snack-media
    Advertisement

3. <tuffty/>

<tuffty/> Badger 5 Edition...Its all about the flow... Staff Member Moderator Audi S3

Lower position allows more toe adjustment

<tuffty/>

Alex C likes this.
  4. jojo

jojo Looking for Boost! Staff Member Moderator Team Daytona Audi S3 quattro Audi A6 Audi Avant Owner Group

Let me reword this for you legend. :D

Lower position allows the toe to be adjusted to manufacturers spec on lowered cars, because you are pulling the lower part in. Fitted to the top, to correct the camber, you need to extend the arms, which throws the toe out even more, which in turn, effects the toe adjustability.

Alex C likes this.
  5. fingermouse

fingermouse thats me

I fitted mine to the top and they couldn`t get the alignment in so moved to the bottom and they got it set up ok. from what I remember 10 years ago now almost .........